EGR valve

Cobra4pt6

Banned
my egr valve became disconnected and i was wondering how much would it cost to replace or have it reconnected.

what is the purpose of the egr valve?
also there are flames coming out of my exhaust pipes when i shift at redline on the 2-3 and 3-4 shift.

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Well to delete the EGR you can either have a chip programmed to never open it or make a plate to cap it off and have a chip ignore the valve.

There is a small performance boost because you will no longer allow inert air in to the engine. This will give a little better throttle response. It wont be night and day but it will help.

If you want to help you engine even more delete your PCV valve. The PCV dumps oil in to your intake which is why cobras smoke a little after you really run her hard (cause you are burning oil).

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
IMHO I would NOT disconnect the pcv!
But thats my opinion and everyone you talk to is going to have a diferent opinion!

Mike

Snake Eyes

Established Member
If you want to see pictures of what a cobra intake looks like with a functioning PCV, I can post them. Believe me the PCV system on 4.6 modular engines (especially the 4V) acts more as an oil siphon than a pressure equalizer.

cobraracer46

Banned
Disabling the PCV valve will result in engine damage because the blowby gases in the crank case that form corrosive acids and damage internal engine parts will no longer be vented from the engine, in addition, sludge fromation in the oil system will become a serious problem. K&N breathers that people put in place of a PCV system do not vent the crankcase of the harmful blowby gases because the breathers are ment as a fresh air path only and the only way to properly evacuate the blowby contamination is by vacume which is the job of the PCV system. Deleting the EGR system is a waste of time will gain nothing. Some things on a Cobra or any other car a better left as they left the factory. :burn:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Originally posted by cobraracer46
Disabling the PCV valve will result in engine damage because the blowby gases in the crank case that form corrosive acids and damage internal engine parts will no longer be vented from the engine, in addition, sludge fromation in the oil system will become a serious problem. K&N breathers that people put in place of a PCV system do not vent the crankcase of the harmful blowby gases because the breathers are ment as a fresh air path only and the only way to properly evacuate the blowby contamination is by vacume which is the job of the PCV system. Deleting the EGR system is a waste of time will gain nothing. Some things on a Cobra or any other car a better left as they left the factory. :burn:

Ditto Thanks cobraracer46 you just saved me alot of typing, couldnt have said it better myself :beer:

Sanchez

Don't Panic
Established Member
Originally posted by Snake Eyes
If you want to help you engine even more delete your PCV valve. The PCV dumps oil in to your intake which is why cobras smoke a little after you really run her hard (cause you are burning oil).

A great free performance mod most people overlook is the oil pan delete. You can drop at least 40 lbs off the front of your car by draining the oil out and getting rid of the pan.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Originally posted by Sanchez
A great free performance mod most people overlook is the oil pan delete. You can drop at least 40 lbs off the front of your car by draining the oil out and getting rid of the pan.

:lol:

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Believe what you want to believe but the only reason the engine doesn't come with breathers from the factory is that when the gasses are vented there is an order of oil (very slight). Government will not allow that to happen cause it is "pollution" so they regulate that it must be burnt up through combustion. Well that is fine if you don't suck oil up through there and gunk up the engine, burn the oil and lower octane while raising intake temperature.

I am not trying to start a fight here but believe me the PCV system on the 4V modular engine is crap. At the very least you should put an oil catch in line with the system. In one month you will have caught 1/4 cup of oil that would have normally been sent in to your intake. The EGR is not nearly as beneficial to delete but there are reasons to do it.

If you don't believe me on the PCV there is a picture of the inside of my intake before I deleted the PCV system, if you still don't believe me, fine I don't care but there are numerous other threads on this site where people have either deleted the PCV or installed an oil catch and were amazed how much oil was going through there engine because of it. If you are so sure open up you intake and tell me there aren't puddles of oil at the bottom. So yeah flame away on some one who actually has done it and has seen the before and after results and tell me I am wrong, when you haven't even checked. So don't chime in with a "fact" unless you know it to be fact.

5-2-03 2.jpg

cobra29

Established Member

Make sense to me....

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator

This is a myth and total BS.

I deleted my PCV and put breathers on both valve covers over a year ago, and the oil is just as clean after every oil change now as it was before I deleted it. And after pulling my intake apart about 2 months ago I noticed that it still looks just about as clean as the day I cleaned it last year. I actually did a study on the PCV valve system and found that the breathers released more gases than the PCV system did. Trust me. Put some breathers on your valve covers and then rev the engine using the throttle-body. You can see the gases blowing out of the breathers very strongly, and I have quit burning oil. I have taken my valve covers off, and dropped my oil pan and their is no sign of any sludge. As a matter of fact everything is as clean as the day it was assembled.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
What Snake Eyes said is 100% true also. The only reason for the PCV system over breathers is Federal mandate.

At the time a vehicle is designed, manufactured, has passed all EPA and DOT standards it must also be equiped with a fully self contained petroleum oiling system. All drive train systems that use oil for lubrication or hydrolic purposes must be contained in that system untill a transfer of fluids for a purpose of maintenance is needed. Crankcase positive ventelation is to be set in the same order and is to be contained in the system unless it is burned off in the combustion process. PCV Valves may be used as a ventilation system for the crankcase that will allow an efficient escape of gases and oil from the crankcase.

Last edited:

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Thank you Hissman. I am just suppressed more people haven't jumped in to FINALLY kill the myth that deleting the PCV system is a bad thing because when I did it, it was because people on this board explained it to me when I noticed my intake was all oiled down as in the picture above. There were literally puddles of oil in the lower manifold. So when I came here and asked what to do a bunch of people posted and they all said the same thing delete the PCV system. That was almost a year ago now and the car has never run better, I don't burn ANY oil and it never smokes no matter how much I play hard.

Hiss: Could you PM or email me a picture of your engine bay I really want to see what it looks like in detail. That upper manifold looks cool what did you have done.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I did a custom colorshifting paint job on the upper intake, Cooling tube, and Throttle body as well as I freehanded some ghost flames on the intake.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread