EGR valve

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by cobraracer46
Disabling the PCV valve will result in engine damage because the blowby gases in the crank case that form corrosive acids and damage internal engine parts will no longer be vented from the engine, in addition, sludge fromation in the oil system will become a serious problem. K&N breathers that people put in place of a PCV system do not vent the crankcase of the harmful blowby gases because the breathers are ment as a fresh air path only and the only way to properly evacuate the blowby contamination is by vacume which is the job of the PCV system. Deleting the EGR system is a waste of time will gain nothing. Some things on a Cobra or any other car a better left as they left the factory. :burn:

the function of the PCV is to vent pressure....so why the hell would you need vacuum to vent pressure??? if there is an open pathway (i.e. breather), pressure will ALWAYS equalize, in this case, to ambient air pressue.

i agree though, deleting/disabling EGR is not really worth the time doing...

cobraracer46

Banned
Originally posted by quick01snake
the function of the PCV is to vent pressure....so why the hell would you need vacuum to vent pressure??? if there is an open pathway (i.e. breather), pressure will ALWAYS equalize, in this case, to ambient air pressue.

i agree though, deleting/disabling EGR is not really worth the time doing...
all the blow by gasses escaping from the piston rings need some type of vacume in order to leave the crank case. On pure race motors, two types of crank case evacuation methothods are used : a vacume pump hooked up to the lubrication system or long hoses going from the valve cover to the exhaust header collector. the passing exhaust gases create a vacume from the veturi effect and pull the blow by out of the crank case.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Umm...On all of the "Pure race motors" I have seen at the local tracks here, Nearly all of them use breathers.

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
not to start a war but look at cobraracer46's post count. Not too high only 34. I think he has a little bit to learn. By the way I totally agree with the deletion of the PCV its like a straw sucking the oil out of the head. My car consumed about a quart every 1500 to 2000 miles before I deleted it.

Last edited:

cobraracer46

Banned
Originally posted by trplblacksnake
not to start a war but look at cobraracer46's post count. Not too high only 34. I think he has a little bit to learn. By the way I totally agree with the deletion of the PCV its like a straw sucking the oil out of the head. My car consumed about a quart every 1500 to 2000 miles before I deleted it.
Just curious, but what exactly are you talking about when you are reffering to my post count?:burnout:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Originally posted by trplblacksnake

:lol: Thats the worst reason Ive ever heard as to why not to take someones advice seriously. Post count are you kidding??? :??:

I had an open K&N filter on the valve cover but I decided to go back to a press in with the hose running to the air intake tube. #1 reason being is the fact that the hose to the intake helps pull excess pressure out of the block, lessening blow-by on the rings. As the engine runs the piston goes down into the cylinder creating a vacuum, air is drawn in, the piston comes up and the air/fuel mix is ignited. Most people just think about what is going on above the pistons, few think about what is going on beneath them inside the block and cylinder bores. After ingition the pistons are pushed back down into the bores by the expansion of the burnt fuel as they do this the pistons also have to push the air back out from the underside of the piston. If the block is not vented moving that air would be much harder than if there was a vacuum inside the block with little or no air to move. If you just had the block vented to the outside, this means there will be no built up pressure inside which is ok, but having a vacuum inside the block is most desireable. Id say go back to a breather w/ a vacuum hose.

My post count is alittle higher does than mean my knowledge is more valid? :loser:

Last edited:

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
I was just kidding but my car really drank a quart of oil every 1500 to 2000 miles and after the delete I didnt have to add oil at all. Ive seen some guys add filters in the line but it still sucks oil out of the head cover. It really annoys me. Ford should have designed the covers better.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
ok I was hoping so :rockon:

Ive never had a valve cover off yet but maybe they could have designed in a baffle below the pcv fitting in the valve cover. I've also heard that there's alot of oil mist with these dohc engines, if thats true then a baffle wouldnt do much.
I think an open filter would be fine but a vacuum beneath the pistons in the crankcase is most desirable and nets the biggest HP gains. JMHO :D

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Mine vents very well with breathers. I tried to take a pic of me giving it throttle and gasses escaping from the breather, but the gases and oil mist are not showing up in the pic. It is actually blowing out of the breather about 9 inches in all directions, and probably 90% steam/gases, and 10% oil mist. Like I said before, I have been running this setup for over a year, and I have never had to add any oil. Maybe this is why one guy I knows 65 mustang 289 engine failed. He ran breathers on it for 10+ years that he had it. Oh no wait it is because it had over 350,000 miles on it.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Read Sean Hylands book. A baffle would do very little to stop the oil problems. He made a clear plexiglass cutaway on a valvecover to watch the oiling action of a DOHC cobra motor, and he stated that to his suprise the oil was actually turning into a small lake in the valve covers and completely submersing the cams and cam girdles. Talk about one hell of a oil job.

"SNAKIE"

Established Member
to any of you who have done the breathers, do you know a part number for that air filter?also, how is the filter attached? have pics?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
As for the drivers side I just stuck a new breather in the hole. The passenger side was a little more difficult. I had to buy a dual male vacume fitting that goes inside of the breather and the stock tube that ran into the upper inlet pipe that feeds into the TB. I then used some vacume caps to plug the upper inlet pipe and the intake where the PCV tube went. I hope this makes since.

"SNAKIE"

Established Member
Originally posted by Hissman
As for the drivers side I just stuck a new breather in the hole. The passenger side was a little more difficult. I had to buy a dual male vacume fitting that goes inside of the breather and the stock tube that ran into the upper inlet pipe that feeds into the TB. I then used some vacume caps to plug the upper inlet pipe and the intake where the PCV tube went. I hope this makes since.
when u mean u stuck the breather in the whole, does that mean that it already fits inside or did u have to make a conector. How is it staying in place. as far as the passenger side, i have been lost:p :bash:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
On the drivers side it just fits in the hole just like the PCV valve did.

full_engine.jpg

You can see the drivers side in this pic.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Just when you thought...

To delete or not to delete. Everytime I think I'm decided, someone breaks it up.

I think the oil catch can would be safest - you keep the PCV system, and eliminate the oil.

With breathers, don't you end up with oil coating your engine?

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Remember that there is a pressure drop through an oil catch can. I dont know what this effects exactly but i would assume that you woudlnt want a little baby one. That would be too restrictive...

Users who are viewing this thread