The Official 'TRUE' HDR Photography Thread

outlawphotoguy

Established Member
Hey guys, HDR photography seems to be the new 'thing' if you are a photo nut. Let's see how good you all are and also educate those who want to know more about what it takes to create a 'REAL' HDR photo. I feel that an HDR picture is more of how the human brain truly remembers a scene. Here is a link that explains how to create one, http://www.vanilladays.com/hdr-guide/ It takes some good software and alot of patience to get great results. I am still learning but I think I am gettin' the hang of it. Let's post up only 'REAL' HDR photos, I know some 'SIMULATED' HDRs can be done nicely with Photomatix and Photoshop, but let's just post up TRUE ones, I'll start it off: (post any subject, it doesn't have to be just cars)

lce37c97cbc188e74fe5202pp2.jpg

d80test0051234tonemapptpy2.jpg

d80test01006070809tonemun0.jpg

By the way, post BIG pictures, small ones don't look good........ Anyways, everyone has 24" widescreen monitors nowadays, right??? .... lol.....
My equipment: Canon XTi, 28-80mm EF-S and 75-300mm EF-S lenses, Speedlite 580ex flash AND Nikon D80, 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses and a TRIPOD!!!!

EDIT: Nikon D700 w/D3 batt grip, 24-120VR, 70-200VR 2.8 w/2x extender, SB-900.

Last edited:

4fit?

Established Member
This isn't a picture I took, but it is IMO one of the best HDRs I have seen to date. Simply incredible.
2277770487_d8373bb07f_b.jpg

bubbrubb

nice pics.

im assuming that hdr = high definition resolution pictures?

High Dynamic Range. Its really supposed to capture the light range like we can see with our eyes, but the camera can't detect with just one photograph, so you merge a series of different exposures together to make it more lifelike... but most commonly the HDR look people go for is the cartoony surreal picture look. Either way they come out pretty sweet IMO.

I bet some of the people in this thread just love me for posting that how to fake HDR thread. :lol1:

Antagon

Established Member
what?
edit: seriously i need some pics HDR'd, ill try to learn how to do it around summer, right now i just dont have time...
if anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Did you even bother to read the first post? You can't make an HDR image with just one photo. If you wan't that halfassed photoshop stuff find another thread.
To contribute I found this on google, wish it were larger
http://cache.lifehacker.com/assets/resources/2006/10/hdr tutorial.png

Users who are viewing this thread