Loudest things in the universe?

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Been googling on this subject and have found interesting stuff. The blue whale hits over 180db but keep in mind that its on water. The shuttle exceeds 210db at the ignite source. Talk about power geez. I hve heard space is loud especially near a star. Discuss

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Krakatoa when it went off on the 1800's was heard over 2200 miles away. Don't know what kind if dB Level that calculated out to, but it's sure louder than a Whale or the Space Shuttle.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
My -ex in the courtroom when the judge ruled against her getting alimony!

Riddla

Established Member
Krakatoa when it went off on the 1800's was heard over 2200 miles away. Don't know what kind if dB Level that calculated out to, but it's sure louder than a Whale or the Space Shuttle.

Not sure abiut google though. Something about the atmosphere having an impact on the limit of db

Sent with My Massive Johnson

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
A little more from Google.

The Tunguska event was a massive explosion that occurred near the Podkamennaya (Under Rock) Tunguska River in what is now Krasnoyarsk Krai of Russia, at 7:40 AM on June 30, 1908. The explosion was most likely caused by the air burst of a large meteoroid or comet fragment at an altitude of 5 to 10 kilometers (3–6 mi) above Earth’s surface. It was measured with the similar impact of a 1000-Mega-ton bomb with a decibel rating 300-315. This is often considered to be the loudest single-event in history.

Riddla

Established Member
A little more from Google.

The Tunguska event was a massive explosion that occurred near the Podkamennaya (Under Rock) Tunguska River in what is now Krasnoyarsk Krai of Russia, at 7:40 AM on June 30, 1908. The explosion was most likely caused by the air burst of a large meteoroid or comet fragment at an altitude of 5 to 10 kilometers (3–6 mi) above Earth’s surface. It was measured with the similar impact of a 1000-Mega-ton bomb with a decibel rating 300-315. This is often considered to be the loudest single-event in history.

Interesting, but we know sound travels at 700+ mph so does that mean the sound has already passed us? Since we are assuming chunks of mass were thrown way faster than that. Did the sound hit us 65 mya? But I assume sound travles much faster in space

Last edited:

Riddla

Established Member
Off topic but I have a theory that perhaps is silly. I believe the universe expands and the collapses producing a big bang and thus repeating the cycle over and over.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
the current universe, as we know it, probably the detonation of a star such as R136a1 (estimated 265 times the mass of Sol)

Zimm11

Established Member
top fuel dragsters and funny cars when your like 20 yards away...thats about the loudest thing i remember hearing in my lifetime so far!

Riddla

Established Member
:dw:

The loudest thing in the universe would still be completely silent if it happened in the vacuum of space.

True story.

But I have heard Dr deGrasse say space is loud not sure what he really means but I agree. Probably missheard. 290db if it was actually heard which I think its pretty low. Here on earth would be be 120db do wonder face

edit, viewing this from the pc seems confusing. Phone posting ftl!

Last edited:

Keith Stone

Banned
Interesting, but we know sound travels at 700+ mph so does that mean the sound has already passed us? Since we are assuming chunks of mass were thrown way faster than that. Did the sound hit us 65 mya? But I assume sound travles much faster in space

What??? :dw:

Riddla

Established Member
What??? :dw:

Like i said, phone posting ftl!

What i mean is......

I was writing a whole paragraph but to make it simple....

The big bang was a gun, the galaxies/planets were the bullet fragments that fired. The sound came later (even in space)...so even after the galaxies and planets(fragments) were settiling after billions of years. The sound started to catch up to those fragments. Just compare the speed of light to the speed of sound, even in space light is much faster than sound.

Perhaps that sound shockwave brough an asteroid to earth 65 mya (which means, sound was 65 m/y behind the light? Just bringing ideas.....:shrug:.....

Last edited:

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
Like i said, phone posting ftl!

What i mean is......

I was writing a whole paragraph but to make it simple....

The big bang was a gun, the galaxies/planets were the bullet fragments that fired. The sound came later (even in space)...so even after the galaxies and planets(fragments) were settiling after billions of years. The sound started to catch up to those fragments. Just compare the speed of light to the speed of sound, even in space light is much faster than sound.

Perhaps that sound shockwave brough an asteroid to earth 65 mya (which means, sound was 65 m/y behind the light? Just bringing ideas.....:shrug:.....

Thats definitely some out-of-the-box thinking. I don't think sound travels in space though.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
But I have heard Dr deGrasse say space is loud not sure what he really means but I agree. Probably missheard.

he probably meant loud as in background noise/radiation.

the universe is a very loud place, but not in the audible sense.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
4 Top Fuel dragsters running WOT side-by-side at Zmax is pretty frickin' awesome as far as extremely loud sounds go. No idea what the combined db level is. One TF dragster by itself at WOT is about 150db.

U.M.

rpm_top_fuel1_576.jpg

DirtyD916

SVT Based God
Established Member
:dw:

The loudest thing in the universe would still be completely silent if it happened in the vacuum of space.

True story.
+1. Audible noise is vibrations in air. If space is a vacuum then how is there any sound for an event to be "heard"? Someone explain because now I'm confused.

And if that event in Russia was 310db then WOW. I really can't comprehend anything over 130.

carnut101

Established Member

Like Jimmysidecar said, sound doesn't exist in a vacuum. The sound (waves in the atmosphere) would be produced once the asteroid physically entered the atmosphere. The sound wouldn't be too far behind, considering it would only have to cover a distance of a few miles.

Then again, it's been a while since I've been in a physical classroom. Let's see what Mr. Snover has to say.

Users who are viewing this thread