Loudest things in the universe?

oldmodman

Established Member
My next door neighbor's three year old has to be a contender.

That little rug rat can be heard screeching all the way down the block at night. I don't thing that girl ever sleeps.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
Not the loudest but certainly one of the more interesting.

The Pistol Shrimp will immobilize its prey with a sonic blast of 218 decibels by cocking and snapping its claw. In the process, it emits a stream of bubbles. As the bubbles collapse they momentarily reach a temperature of 9900 degrees Celsius.

that's gangster as ****

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Silver2003Cobra got the answer before I did. Our own sun, which is twice as large as the average star, but still very much minor league compared to some of the monsters out there, our own sun rings like a bell in 29-million separate tones. An entire science has been built on this fact: heliosiesmology.

But I think that what is really going on here is that Riddla is getting all Zen-like on us. Look at the question: "What is the loudest thing in the universe?" The Zen answer is: the universe. You see what Riddla did there? He's playing us all for saps with his new adherence to eastern mysticism.

Jim Snover

Wheres Jim Snover at? He's gotta have an answer....

Dusten

Established Member
As derek said, dense things make sound faster, sound in water travels at about 5000 ft/sec depending on temperature, salinity and pressure. To calculate the speed of sound in water we use TSP-642. For every 1 degree in temp change speed changes 6 ft/sec, for every 1 part of salinity change its 4 ft/sec(salinity rarely changes), and for ever 100 feet of depth the speed changes 2 ft/sec. FWIW the sonar on my ship is in excess of 230db....

mcdover

Established Member
Been googling on this subject and have found interesting stuff. The blue whale hits over 180db but keep in mind that its on water. The shuttle exceeds 210db at the ignite source. Talk about power geez. I hve heard space is loud especially near a star. Discuss

Quiff from your girl's cootch?

usmcrebel

Established Member
Not the loudest but certainly one of the more interesting.

The Pistol Shrimp will immobilize its prey with a sonic blast of 218 decibels by cocking and snapping its claw. In the process, it emits a stream of bubbles. As the bubbles collapse they momentarily reach a temperature of 9900 degrees Celsius.

[youtube_browser]XC6I8iPiHT8[/youtube_browser]

This confuses me...how does the imploding bubbles reach that temp...what are the mechanics that allow for that and how did they measure it

Planter

Banned
Been googling on this subject and have found interesting stuff. The blue whale hits over 180db but keep in mind that its on water. The shuttle exceeds 210db at the ignite source. Talk about power geez. I hve heard space is loud especially near a star. Discuss

The 4 afterburners on this bad boy are pretty ****ing loud
145716.jpg

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Cool thread!

I've sat in a truck once that hit 175db with a stereo....that was pretty loud!......I remember barely being able to breathe! lol

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Interesting, but we know sound travels at 700+ mph so does that mean the sound has already passed us? Since we are assuming chunks of mass were thrown way faster than that. Did the sound hit us 65 mya? But I assume sound travles much faster in space

Space is close to a perfect vacuum, so no....sound does not travel in space

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
Not the loudest obviously, but cool nonetheless.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtLxpMyh13g&feature=related"]YouTube - 35.000 BESIKTAS FANS JUMPING,CRAZY ATMOSPHERE | HD[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqrLjtr04qY&feature=related"]YouTube - BESIKTAS CARSI !! 132 DESIBEL !![/nomedia]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread