Im trying to like the GT500's

RCMPSVT

Established Member
Ok this is not a flaming thread.

Ive always been on the fence on the new GT500's. I went today to my SVT dealer and looked at 4 08's. I like the fronts, I like the interior ( except the steering wheel) I dont like the rears that much, partially cause they look like a 4X4 but that can be fixed with a drop. When I compare my 03SB to the new ones, why does it seem like the colour options were better in the 03/04 models??.

I guess what Im wondering is do most love them the way they are or do alot of people change things like suspension, stripe removal etc......

When I got my SB I didnt want to change a thing I thought they were great right from the factory but the new ones I would have to change them to love them. Oh and couldnt they put a nicer hood on them???

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Most people mod the cars to their liking. I owned a Termi and now I have a 07 GT. The s197 chassis is light years ahead of the Terms. Despite the obvious difference in power I like my 07 GT better than the Term. The GT500 is even better than the regular GT's.

03zycobra

Established Member
Most people mod the cars to their liking. I owned a Termi and now I have a 07 GT. The s197 chassis is light years ahead of the Terms. Despite the obvious difference in power I like my 07 GT better than the Term. The GT500 is even better than the regular GT's.

So, with that said...GT500 owners that previously owned 03/04 cobras or have both please post your opinions. I am considering the switch. Besides the obvious (price) what are the differences between the two.

Thanks

LSR

2nd To None
Established Member
Ok this is not a flaming thread.

Ive always been on the fence on the new GT500's. I went today to my SVT dealer and looked at 4 08's. I like the fronts, I like the interior ( except the steering wheel) I dont like the rears that much, partially cause they look like a 4X4 but that can be fixed with a drop. When I compare my 03SB to the new ones, why does it seem like the colour options were better in the 03/04 models??.

I guess what Im wondering is do most love them the way they are or do alot of people change things like suspension, stripe removal etc......

When I got my SB I didnt want to change a thing I thought they were great right from the factory but the new ones I would have to change them to love them. Oh and couldnt they put a nicer hood on them???

You just need to ride or drive a modded GT500 with mods. like what's in my signature. I understand your take on the car, mostly everyone I know with one lowered the car once they got it. And with the car being out for a year now. Now is the time to get one due to the huge parts list that aftermarket companies have for the GT500's. You can make 600+rwhp with the stock blower with this car. That is just plain impressive with 700+rwhp accessible with Nos or a blower swap. Here is a picture of what I think is the coolest looking GT500 I have ever seen. If this picture don't impress you to buy one, then you don't want one:dw:

gt5002xxxx.jpg

gt67.jpg

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
i own both body styles, an 03 cobra convertible, and an 06 gt convertible. power aside i'd much rather drive the 06, it's much more comfortable and handles better. add the power of the gt 500 and that's a kick ass combo

RCMPSVT

Established Member
You just need to ride or drive a modded GT500 with mods. like what's in my signature. I understand your take on the car, mostly everyone I know with one lowered the car once they got it. And with the car being out for a year now. Now is the time to get one due to the huge parts list that aftermarket companies have for the GT500's. You can make 600+rwhp with the stock blower with this car. That is just plain impressive with 700+rwhp accessible with Nos or a blower swap. Here is a picture of what I think is the coolest looking GT500 I have ever seen. If this picture don't impress you to buy one, then you don't want one:dw:

gt5002xxxx.jpg

gt67.jpg

Thank you, atleast one person doesnt think im starting crap. That is a bad ass GT500, now that would make me want one.

Jeez everyone is so quick to grab the popcorn smiley.

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member

gt5002xxxx.jpg

gt67.jpg

sweet ride are those the shelby america rims? i saw a guy with the exact same rims and it really looked like the off set was wrong. what do you think?

redline

Established Member
i have both and they are different . to me its like having 2 champions and you gotta call one of them great.you have to like a car to wanna own it if you dont like how the rear looks .hey do not get it. somebody will.

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
i own both body styles, an 03 cobra convertible, and an 06 gt convertible. power aside i'd much rather drive the 06, it's much more comfortable and handles better. add the power of the gt 500 and that's a kick ass combo

ya we have both at our house also. i love the s-197 platform, but i thought the gt lacked a little power in stock form so we put a roushchager in it. at 365rwhp this car makes me want the gt 500 even more. oh ya UPS just delivered the up-graded pulley for thie s/cer so iam sure 30more hp will make it even more fun to drive... if i can get my gf out of the drivers seat.:banana:

LSR

2nd To None
Established Member
sweet ride are those the shelby america rims? i saw a guy with the exact same rims and it really looked like the off set was wrong. what do you think?

Yeah, they are the Shelby Razors 20X9 F & 20X9 R is the proper size.

I plan on going with the Shelby 20 inch Alcoa's pictured below giving me the SS and KR look. And lowering the car of course. This Vista Blue car isn't lowered in the picture. It needs to be lowered obviously.

021.jpg

Last edited:

LSR

2nd To None
Established Member
Thank you, atleast one person doesnt think im starting crap. That is a bad ass GT500, now that would make me want one.

Jeez everyone is so quick to grab the popcorn smiley.

No problem 04blkterminator, Just take me up on my advice of getting a chance to ride in one. Granted no dealer will probably let you test drive one unless you have check in hand, but go to some local car shows and speak with GT500 owners and see if they will take you for a spin. In a modded on no doubt.;-)

I am so happy with my Shelby. And since owning this car I have met alot of owners and we all got together and met in Herman, MO for what we call Shelbyfest.(pictured below) We also meet for other occassions also, and now have over 45 owners on our group list. And it grows every month.

In the pictures were cars from states: IL, MO, IN, & TN.

Well over $105 Million in Shelby's sitting in on spot, 21 total 1 was a Mustang GT.

AllCars1a.jpg

745900-R1-17-7A_018.jpg

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I have had doubts on them myself, solid axle, non-painted mirrors, ride height, general looks , but now the price is the only diskike I have. Yes I'd lower it and do a tune, intake and exhaust for sure. There is a Blue one here somewhere that has some racing suspernsion that looks really nice. Someone post the link, it will change any doubt you have about the potential look of the 500. I have been looking at vettes, but it's a question of if you want a mucle car or a sprts car in my opinion. A properly modded GT500 looks much more aggressive than the standard C6 even if it wont handle as well.

R1Lello

Established Member
Yeah, they are the Shelby Razors 20X9 F & 20X10 R is the proper size.

I plan on going with the Shelby 20 inch Alcoa's pictured below giving me the SS and KR look. And lowering the car of course. This Vista Blue car isn't lowered in the picture. It needs to be lowered obviously.

021.jpg

That I know of, 10 inch wide Razors don't exist. They are all 9's.......narrower than stock rims.........sad

mormonstang

Established Member
I have a question about the shelby's. It seems you can't fit as wide of tires in the rear, as you can on the termi's rear. Is this true, or no?

TexasShelby

Established Member
Razor's did only come in 9", but I've known a couple guys that have had them widened without issues as far as I know.
I'm looking at the same wheel in silver and going to 10.5 in the rear.

I still can't figure for the life of me why they would put an almost 1" taller tire on the front of the car, than the rear, but they have.

The GT500 is not without it's issues. Being a fairly early owner, over a year now, I do understand why someone would question making the switch. I personally feel there are 2 or 3 issues with the GT500 that Ford should have addressed for it's owners, but nothing was ever so much as even mentioned. With that said, one moves on, and a GT500 is a perfect blank canvas with which to start. Be it road, track, drag, show, cruise, it is extremely easy to mod and the gains are significant.
I always love rolling into a lot with always some guy saying...yeah, but it's no vette... I laugh and tell them, I'll race any vette, any where, any time...first one across the finish line with his 3 best friends in the car wins. But usually a blue oval freak will say...well...that's true, but most vette owners don't have 3 friends...LOL

I was litterally inches from buying an 04 Cobra and still love them, but I think any mass produced vehicle will have it's compromises. I know I turned down 3 04s just on the paint alone. Ford got it from straight from Microsoft I think.... "It's not a flaw...it's a feature" mentality.

As far as the Shelby Razor wheel... There is no logical explanition that could be given from Shelby or American why they would have a wheel that would actually lower the footprint of a car that already has traction issues to begin with.

But all in all, it's a way cool car to own, drive and mod. I'd have to say, if you were thinking about making a switch, I'd have to say yes. Just my honest opinion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread