Votes: 366 45.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
yes i searched.

just wondering what the majority of ya'll Terminator owners did.

03blacksnake

Time Traveler
Established Member
I haven't touched mine yet, but it is in really bad shape. Mine is a daily driver and there are spots that have been so water logged that it is starting to tear. I am going to just remove it completely in the next couple of days. I just hope it is painted under there.

MotoXracer21

I Need Low 12s....
Established Member
Do the Hood mod if the underside of your hood isnt painted, remove the blanket completely if it is!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

svtxchinoy

Established Member
Anyone have any problems with paint when the liner is removed?? I'm thinking about this myself since my hood is painted but dont want the hood to start cooking the paint.

2814v

Established Member
I would have left mine off , but since no paint did the hood modd. Turned out pretty good, looks much better then stock blanket. Someday I will have the underside of my hood painted black and leave the blanket off for good.

BADBOLT2

Established Member
Can you Re-use the "mushroom" plugs that hold the blanket on,or do I need to buy new ones?
Sometimes they get ruined when you remove them.

Stang2WRX

Established Member
Originally posted by BADBOLT2
Can you Re-use the "mushroom" plugs that hold the blanket on,or do I need to buy new ones?
Sometimes they get ruined when you remove them.

These ones are pretty easy to remove, if you do it arefully you can re use them..

My hood liner is now hanging up as a walla decoration in my garage... Was a nice suprise to find a fully painted hood!

I used the plastic 3m velcro that you get for mounting EZPass, and I "velcro'd" the flaps open... Hard to read the license plates in front of you at a light now... the heat waves pour out.

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Have any of you guys with 03's left the vents fully open during the winter and did you have any problems with ice build up?

Pale Snake

Established Member
I did both, just be sure to check if theres paint underneath before you take it off. You will be amazed at how much heat you will see escape as compared to stock. Gives a nice "Clean look underneath as well. Good luck.

wjfawb0

Established Member
I did the mod. It has worked well. Blanket is holding up good, and the winter didn't screw anything up.

Pics:

2003_11_4_Hood_Mod%20001.jpg

2003_11_4_Hood_Mod%20002.jpg

2003_11_4_Hood_Mod%20003.jpg

2003_11_4_Hood_Mod%20006.jpg

2003_11_4_Hood_Mod%20007.jpg

primo

Established Member
Do you notice more engine noise with the removal of the hood blanket? My paranoia about my ticking on acceleration might just be the amplified noise of my injectors since I do not have the hood blanket (bought the car used with this mod already done). Is this possible?

wjfawb0

Established Member
Originally posted by T BAG
Do you notice more engine noise with the removal of the hood blanket? My paranoia about my ticking on acceleration might just be the amplified noise of my injectors since I do not have the hood blanket (bought the car used with this mod already done). Is this possible?

I can hear belt noise and engine noise a little better outside the car with the blanket mod. Doesn't bother me. :shrug:

CyberDaveA

Established Member
T BAG - I did not notice more engine noise

Save yourself some trouble... Look for paint under the blanket... and then take the whole thing off... much cleaner look.

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
Loss of AM radio reception

Considering removing the blanket, but don't want to lose my AM radio reception. Is there any way to resolve the AM radio interference issue with the blanket gone?

cobracory

Established Member
Re: Loss of AM radio reception

Originally posted by Dave99GT
Considering removing the blanket, but don't want to lose my AM radio reception. Is there any way to resolve the AM radio interference issue with the blanket gone?

I do not have any interference when I listen to an AM station.

Maybe I am missing the science behind it, but, why would removing the blanket cause AM interference?

wjfawb0

Established Member
Re: Re: Loss of AM radio reception

Originally posted by cobracory
I do not have any interference when I listen to an AM station.

Maybe I am missing the science behind it, but, why would removing the blanket cause AM interference?

If you look at my pictures above, you'll see that the back of the blanket is coated in metallic foil. The foil isconnected to the car's metal body by a ground strap on the passenger side. The foil helps to shield the engine from external electromagnetic noise and helps to keep radiated electromagnetic fields from the motor from being emitted from under the hood (the hood is plastic and doesn't shield well like the other metal body parts). I am supposing that the blanket and foil being gone could inject engine noise into your AM radio signals. Also, you are losing some of your ground plane that makes your antenna more efficient. You'd have to be familiar with antenna design and image theory to really understand why the foil helps reception.

-Jason

Justicem

06/26/02 #1018
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Loss of AM radio reception

Originally posted by wjfawb0
If you look at my pictures above, you'll see that the back of the blanket is coated in metallic foil. The foil isconnected to the car's metal body by a ground strap on the passenger side. The foil helps to shield the engine from external electromagnetic noise and helps to keep radiated electromagnetic fields from the motor from being emitted from under the hood (the hood is plastic and doesn't shield well like the other metal body parts). I am supposing that the blanket and foil being gone could inject engine noise into your AM radio signals. Also, you are losing some of your ground plane that makes your antenna more efficient. You'd have to be familiar with antenna design and image theory to really understand why the foil helps reception.

-Jason

You sure that foil isn't a heat shield :idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread