Votes: 366 45.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfnerv89

Fast?... Kinda
Established Member
Originally posted by HectorCobra03
if you remove the blanket will the heat of the engine cause the hood to discolor on the outside over time?

I also want to know this. I did the hood mod, but I want to take the whole thing off.

smokedbystang

Established Member
Originally posted by Surfnerv89
I also want to know this. I did the hood mod, but I want to take the whole thing off.

There have been lots of posts about this. There are people who have had theirs off for 10,000+ miles and have had no ill effects. I've only had mine off for a month or so but have had no problems and I drive it everyday.

wjfawb0

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Loss of AM radio reception

Originally posted by Justicem
You sure that foil isn't a heat shield :idea:

It works for that as well, but it is also metallic and grounded to the rest of the metal in the car. Believe it or not, but they actually do test automobiles for radiated emissions to comply with FCC standards.

Last edited:

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
Wjfawb0,

Was your hood painted? I see in your 3rd pic, a different coloration to the hood in the 2 "scoop" area's. Is that considered painted or not?

Also, for those of you who removed the blanket, how did you get that small piece of tape off?

Thx!

spinscan

Established Member
My blanket is off and the flaps are pinned back with velcro. I have had zero problems. I also have a shorty antenna and my radio reception is just as good as it was before removing the blanket.

wjfawb0

Established Member
Originally posted by Imperial Pose
Wjfawb0,

Was your hood painted? I see in your 3rd pic, a different coloration to the hood in the 2 "scoop" area's. Is that considered painted or not?

Also, for those of you who removed the blanket, how did you get that small piece of tape off?

Thx!

The center of the hood isn't painted.

Also, about the foil again, noise and all that crap... Read the RFI section towards the bottom of the page:

http://www.centuryperformance.com/spark.asp

-Jason

oldnfast

approaching ancient
Established Member
I removed the blanket and cut off the flaps. The center of the hood was not painted, so I painted it. No big deal. Be sure & put on a couple of coats of clearcoat or it won't match. I saved the mushrooms & put them back in to cover the holes. I bought more to plug the remaining holes. The vents won't allow for much heat build-up if that's a worry.

I have quite a few cars, none with the blanket, & no heat damage. The best example is my '94 F-150 that has never seen the inside of a garage (my daily). It didn't come with a blanket. I polish & wax it a couple of times a year & the paint (red) looks almost new, including the hood.

As for the AM issue. No problems.

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Here is my removed hood liner with the vent cut off. The dealer just repainted it due to the fact that there was tape on the underside.

Edit: the color does not look the best b\c I just took the picture in my garage. It is perfect however.

normal_Cobra4.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Heat will not be an issue...
Foil is in fact for FCC compliance on RF emissions(Our coils are HOT!!)
If you like it.............. Leave it!
I hated it:bash: :burn: :mj: :cuss: ...Looked like *ss from day one!
1st I opened it up.....(hood mod).... In the process to further establish my justification.......:smmon: I got fiberglass in my fingers:cuss:
Then one day while cleaning up water spots under hood after an outside wash.... I noticed lots of dripping where I had just cleaned up:cuss:
And of course when I tried to dry to close to the edge of the "blanket"................:fm: :cuss: :mj: :bash: ......That's right !!!!MORE FIBERGLASS IN MY FINGERS!!!!
I decided to ...(after wrecking it a week after the first payment)...delete the blanket and paint the underside....

I live way up on in the northern burbs in Houston...

Rush Limbaugh, and Savage still come in fine... The weather and traffic come in fine..........
And I think it LOOKS More than fine!!!

paintedunderhood1.jpg

underhoodpainted2.jpg

It is now keeping some landfill nice and warm.......... ahhhhh how nice!

Jimmy:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Originally posted by oldnfast
Dear Jimmy,

WOW !!!!

Thanks man............BTW you've got one hellava stable there:bowdown: :beer: :coolman:

Also the absolute best user name on site!!!!!!!

I love it ......great posts too BTW!!!

wjawbo-------------- thank you also!!

All you guys who deleted/painted or just deleted/already had paint............................:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :beer: :bowdown: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

and all you guys still picking fiberglass "outa yer fingers"----------:smmon: :bash: :nono: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Jimmy:thumbsup:

Last edited:

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
JIMMY LOL....my dad got me hooked on michael savage "savage nation" i love listening to his show!

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Blue03Cobra I want mine to look like that, what steps do I take? and If I need a new blanket to start with how much are they?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Originally posted by 03graygt
JIMMY LOL....my dad got me hooked on michael savage "savage nation" i love listening to his show!

He pulls no punches:bowdown:
Super intelligent guy!!!
Not quite as compelling as Rush....
He doesn't "suffer fools" quite as smoothly as Rush either:bash:

I love em both!!!
But I'm a right wing extremist.....:rollseyes

Jimmy:coolman:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by PowerWheels
Blue03Cobra I want mine to look like that, what steps do I take? and If I need a new blanket to start with how much are they?
Enlarge the current blanket openings (X-acto knife) to match the vents. Cut off the vent flaps. Paint the cut edges of the blanket with hi-temp epoxy (or use the other various trim options talked about in these threads). Wah-lah, you're done.

Killer Cobra

Established Member
I've had mine off for 1 year and I live in south Florida and own a black Cobra. Yes you can hear the Supercharger more but that's about it. I've noticed with it off the engine bay stay cooler. There's no paint issues. I'm never installing it back. It might come in handy in Alaska or the North Pole.. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread