Not real happy with JLT CAI right now...

Teal Terminator

Established Member
On top of this thing being a bitch to get in the fender and the instructions being worthless, the fitment of the rubber elbow to the MAF is ridiculous. Does any body elses have this much space between the rubber and the MAF?

Secondly, right now the filter is pushing out so much on my inner fender cover that my wheel is rubbing on it. I just got fed up with messing with it tonight and hope to figure something out tomorrow after work.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I am doing something wrong but I swear the rubber elbow hole it just too big and it will never seal properly no matter how tightly I clamp down the hose clamp. When I started the car up and let it idle for a minute I noticed it is idling at 16+:1 A/F instead of the 14.7:1 that it used to do on the money. So my guess is extra air is getting in around the elbow and leaning it out.

Hopefully somebody can point something out to me or I can return this elbow to JLT b/c while I love the way this thing looks, especially after I painted it to match my car, if it doesn't work properly it is useless.

-Ryan

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

Last edited:

Teal Terminator

Established Member
A secondary question...

Do you guys run the valve cover filter or did you drill the hole and run the "bypass" tube? And why did you do one or the other? Thanks.

sedanman

Established Member
You have something wrong can you take a full engine bay type pic to help us figure it out. The fitment is always so so but it makes awesome power so...

I chose to go with a breather cause I don't have to comply with emissions and it eliminates the chance of oil being fed back into the motor.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I took my time and tried it a couple different ways, making small adjustments as I went.

It is tight... but it does fit.
I did use the fuzzy side of some HD Velcro to protect a few spots from possible future rubbing...

P5010081.jpg

I did alter my I/C pump bracket... I modded it so I could bend it down a little for a little extra clearance... my choice... not required.

P5010080.jpg

P5010079.jpg

P4250076.jpg

P4250075.jpg

ASVT2NV

Insane And Rising....
Established Member
hm.. now this really scares me away from the in the fender kits. I hate things that are a pain to install!

BTW how do you guys like the SCT Big Air Mass air meters??

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
SVT BITTEN said:
hm.. now this really scares me away from the in the fender kits. I hate things that are a pain to install!

BTW how do you guys like the SCT Big Air Mass air meters??

same here that's why i went with the LFP cold air kit. easy install/easy maintenance. and a hell of alot cheaper than all the others out there.
polishedblower74um.jpg

i do have the JLT cai on the 06 though.........nice piece.
jltrsfg4.jpg

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Mine was a pain but after installing and removing it a couple of times its a snap now. I shortened my IC pump hardline and altered the IC pump mount bracket to gain more clearance. No issues there now. The only thing I couldn't fix is the very slight contact it makes with my passengers side VC.
I dont run the VC filter. My engine didnt like it. Caused a lean condition for some reason. Big pain for my tuners too. Once removed all was well.
One more thing. My MAS is in the fender.

Last edited:

svt4cobra6

I had one on my 03 and had some stalling issues although could have been due to something else. Since there are occasional floods out here I just changed it to a powerstack and that made 404 hp/396 tq on stock tune with just catback.

oxford03cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
You need to move your mass air meter into the fender thats where mine is at and it fits fine.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
oxford03cobra said:
You need to move your mass air meter into the fender thats where mine is at and it fits fine.
He has the high boost kit... you have a different kit. One JLT kit places the MAF in the fender another doesn't from what I have seen.

mavereq

Established Member
i can't tell in your pics, but are you using the rubber ring that goes around your maf? mine doesn't fit that loose at all. i am about to swap over to the jlt 110mm maf so i won't have that adapter anymore. i'll try to take a pic of my stock maf on there today. i trimmed the inner fender just a bit and got it to fit a lot better. i know some guys don't want to do that, but think of all the weight savings....

Teal Terminator

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies guys. Ultimately, I am not too worried about the fender issues. I also thought about altering the mounting bracket for the pump but just really didn't want to mess with it last night. I can get all that worked out. What I can't fix is the gaping space that is left around that rubber elbow coming off the TB! I do have that little rubber spacer "ring" on there but even with that I could probably stick my pinky up inside the space that is left. I really think it is just a bad piece and needs to be replaced.

Maybe if I flip that rubber elbow around it will work better but it looked like one side was meant for the TB and the other for the MAF (one oval shaped the other round). But then that puts the "made in......" letters that are cast into the rubber piece on top and I just can't imagine that is how it is supposed to be. But who knows at this point.

I'm gonna mess with it some more after work today and I may take some more pics but it's just pissing me off b/c if I can't get this to work I'm gonna have to take it all back off and re-install my BBK CAI if I want to be able to drive the car this weekend!!!

98ATLBlueCobra

Established Member
its amazing how some simple installs can be a biaatch! usually when i try and do something late into the evening it seems to always be more of a pain in the butt.

SVT0369

#1798 of 1896
Established Member
SilentSnake04 said:
this thread is scaring me to a FIPK :-\
I have the JLT CAI and the install wasn't bad. I just removed the front passenger side wheel and pulled back the front half of the wheel well liner. From there it takes about 10 minutes to complete the install. Easy and I've had no problems with how the car runs. :coolman:

SilentSnake04

newb
Established Member
SVT0369 said:
I have the JLT CAI and the install wasn't bad. I just removed the front passenger side wheel and pulled back the front half of the wheel well liner. From there it takes about 10 minutes to complete the install. Easy and I've had no problems with how the car runs. :coolman:
I guess the thing that gets me is relocating the MAF to the fenderwell, and Possibly sucking water up into it. I've also heard fitment nightmares and even cases where they crack at the elbow. :shrug:

SVT0369

#1798 of 1896
Established Member
SilentSnake04 said:
I guess the thing that gets me is relocating the MAF to the fenderwell, and Possibly sucking water up into it. I've also heard fitment nightmares and even cases where they crack at the elbow. :shrug:
I can't say about the cracking since mine has held up fine. Why are you worried about relocating the MAF? And don't worry about the filter sucking water. I drive in the rain all the time. I just avoid puddles. :-D

SilentSnake04

newb
Established Member
SVT0369 said:
I can't say about the cracking since mine has held up fine. Why are you worried about relocating the MAF? And don't worry about the filter sucking water. I drive in the rain all the time. I just avoid puddles. :-D
I dont plan on driving it in the rain (not a dd) but in this flood plain they call houston texas- its kind of avoidable.

Just dont like the idea of not being able to pop the hood and keep an eye on things.

SVT0369

#1798 of 1896
Established Member
SilentSnake04 said:
I dont plan on driving it in the rain (not a dd) but in this flood plain they call houston texas- its kind of avoidable.

Just dont like the idea of not being able to pop the hood and keep an eye on things.

To each their own. You can't see your IC pump by popping the hood though :-D

Users who are viewing this thread