Not real happy with JLT CAI right now...

SVT_4_me

Established Member
04CobraMatt said:
In what way? I was actually going to order the kit today...

the fitment is just overall not very good... the elbow that i got that connects to the throttle body was round on both ends, not even the oval shape of the TB. it didn't fit good at all over the TB. also, the instructions say to assemble the entire intake and the put the whole thing in... mine was waaaay to long to fit. the only way i could jam it in there was to assemble the elbow and painted tube, and then assemble the filter/MAF/reducer, then put these assembled pieces in place, and then force them together in the middle. it is a PITA. it does look nice when it's in there though...

04CobraMatt

Established Member
SVT_4_me said:
the fitment is just overall not very good... the elbow that i got that connects to the throttle body was round on both ends, not even the oval shape of the TB. it didn't fit good at all over the TB. also, the instructions say to assemble the entire intake and the put the whole thing in... mine was waaaay to long to fit. the only way i could jam it in there was to assemble the elbow and painted tube, and then assemble the filter/MAF/reducer, then put these assembled pieces in place, and then force them together in the middle. it is a PITA. it does look nice when it's in there though...

Well, assembling the whole kit and trying to install seems backwards to me anyway.. So i understand, once the kit is in, their is little to no chance of a vacuum leak?

What size filter does it come with, the 9" or 12"?

anyone know what size filter comes with the K&N FIPK GenII ?

SVT_4_me

Established Member
04CobraMatt said:
Well, assembling the whole kit and trying to install seems backwards to me anyway.. So i understand, once the kit is in, their is little to no chance of a vacuum leak?

What size filter does it come with, the 9" or 12"?

anyone know what size filter comes with the K&N FIPK GenII ?

very little chance of a leak... the JLT comes with a 9" filter. not sure about the K&N but i think it is smaller... maybe 6"??

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
The K&N is larger. I'm using the K&N FIPK filter and bellmouth intake along with my JLT tube and elbow.

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
I felt the same way. I got the idea that it wasnt sealed and a i did it wrong. I have tons of space too.. However, i was told it was the correct way.

Snakebite2k3

Pray For The Dead To Rise
Established Member
steeda intake with K&N filter FTW!

03intakepieces.jpg

DSC07528.jpg

Last edited:

Teal Terminator

Established Member
The instruction for this $h!% should just read "Get ready to be pissed!" I love the little happy go lucky comment at the end about "just go out to the street/street and enjoy now." Can you tell I am still messing with this BS?! :fm:

lucafu1

Established Member
if your gonna run a filter on the passenger valve cover then you have to run one on the driverside and delete the pcv. thats why you have a lean condition. without it the s/c is sucking un-metered air through the crank case.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
I took my time and tried it a couple different ways, making small adjustments as I went.

It is tight... but it does fit.
I did use the fuzzy side of some HD Velcro to protect a few spots from possible future rubbing...

Some good tips here.
When I installed mine (9" older kit with MAF in Fender) I had to move my I/C pump a bit and trim the 90 degree elbow. In decided the next time I drain the I/C system I would re-plumb the line for better clearance. The install was an absolute PITA. However once it is done that is the end of it. Plus the filter is then fairly easy to get off to clean compared the CAI I used to have.

And yes, the instructions do suck.

Last edited:

DSG03Cobra

Established Member
I had the exact same issues... there looked to be way too much room where the elbow met the MAF, even with that rubber piece:

http://img340.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jlt3ap5.jpg

I contacted Jay and he said that was correct, and to just crank down the metal strap and it will close right up. I did just that and it seems to seal alright. I sprayed a little carb cleaner to check for leaks, and it seems to be fine. :shrug:

And I had the same thing with the filter pushing on the fenderwell and rubbing on the tire... I tried messing with the fitment of the filter and big elbow, but couldn't get it to sit anywhere near right. I finally ended up having to use some zip ties to pull on the fenderwell enough to prevent the wheel from rubbing. :fm:

Quik Z06

Established Member
Yeah im not a fan of JLT, I had my intake crack at the elbow, they sent me a new tube but I dont know if im gonna install it or just sell it and go with a FIPK or something else.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had similar issues with my crappy Densecharger CAI. Changing or getting to the filter was such a hassle. So I replaced it with a Steeda RAI. You might want to consider the JLT RAI. You'll lose a tad of power but maintenance is easier. It's great that Tucker offers both!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh, and I wasn't implying the JLT CAI was crappy. LOL! It is actually a high quality intake. Some, though, prefer the RAI setup. The Densecharger, on the other hand, wasn't a quality CAI. JMO though.

Teal Terminator

Established Member
Well I still can't say I am pleased with the fitment of that rubber elbow but I did finally get it all installed and without any leaks, I think. I ended up trimming off some of that elbow as to get the angle of the MAF to fit better. I may trim a little more but I was just so happy to finally get the damn thing to halfway fit on there I left it alone for the time being.

What I found worked best was: Get the tube and the filter run through the fender and tightened down (you may have to loosen back up and re-adjust this angle later on but get it close). Then put the rubber elbow on the TB and completely tighten it down. Then put the MAF on the other end of that elbow and tighten it down (make sure to have it at an angle that is roughly equivalent to the slope of the VC so when you bring it down the corner doesn't rub on it, or as much). As I was doing this I had angled the tube up towards the hood, now slide the other rubber piece onto the back side of the MAF and then kinda tilt the tube down and slide into the rubber connector. Hold all that down and tighten up those last two hose clamps (one on the MAF adapter and one on the plastic tube).

Again, it was a PITA but it did finally go together. Overall I am happy with the kit. You can't beat how it looks and I hope it gains me some power over the CAI that I had previously. But the instructions should definately be re-written with more detail and more info about some of the things that you "might" have to do when the damn thing doesn't just slide together. Maybe most of the rubber elbows fit better but obviously mine isn't the only one out there that seems to be too big and I swear the angle was wrong on the mold the day they made mine.

When it takes longer to put on a CAI than it did to lower my whole car you know it is a PITA. If I had to do it over again I very well might have gone with the RAI but since I had custom painted my tube, cut some of the rubber elbow, and bent up some of the fins on the filter trying to get it in, I didn't even want to try and hassle with returning/exchanging the damn thing.

Anyway, here are some pics that help justify all the frustration of this kit, lol. I just added the aluminum I/C reservoir too so I am very pleased with the look of the engine bay now. All it is missing is the Black Supercharger Mod! :)

PS - Sorry for the long post but I wanted others who are considering buying this kit to have as much info as possible when they consider or buy it,
Ryan

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1887.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread