Pictures of Kooks Long Tubes Installation (Bandwidth Warning)

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
EDIT: Sounds clips were posted in posts #41 and #46.

Several of these pictures require an explanation, but it will be a while before I can complete a write-up. For now, I'm just going to spam all of the pictures. In short, we did not drop the k-member, but doing so probably would have saved us time and grief. We used the stock studs and nuts, as well as the gaskets. And speaking of the stock studs, we only had to remove two on the driver's side. How we got by without removing studs on the passenger side was nothing short of a miracle. The work shown below includes the installation of Kooks long tubes and off road x-pipe, plus a PHP intake spacer. For detailed information on the headers, refer to this thread.

I am 100% satisfied with these headers. As the pictures hopefully show, the fitment and clearance of these pipes are incredible. And the sound of this system is just awesome. For performance, I certainly picked up a good deal of low-end torque, but up high, I can't say that I gained too much. Throttle response definitely improved too. Note that the car has not been tuned yet, however. For now, I am running a Sniper tune which has me on the rich side at WOT (12.8 or so). I am also slightly rich at cruise speeds too (average of 14.5 or so). For the record, if I do not see any gains from a custom tune, I will still be completely content with this exhaust system.

I should also mention that I have zero leaks and did not have to retighten the header nuts.

If anyone has any questions about any particular picture, I'll be happy to answer them!

Egrdelete.jpg

Fordexhaustmanifoldgaskets.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall001.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall002.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall003.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall004.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall005.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall006.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall007.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall008.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall009.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall010.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall011.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall012.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall013.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall014.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall015.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall016.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall017.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall018.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall019.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall020.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall021.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall022.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall023.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall024.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall025.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall026.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall027.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall028.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall029.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall030.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall031.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall032.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall033.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall034.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall035.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall036.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall037.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall038.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall039.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall040.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall041.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall042.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall043.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall044.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall045.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall046.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall047.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall048.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall049.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall050.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall051.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall052.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall053.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall054.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall055.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall056.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall057.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall058.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall059.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall060.jpg

Mach1Kooksheaderinstall061.jpg

Last edited:

JohnFrancis

Ricks real name.
Established Member
The sound alone is probably worth the time invested (even if the gains are marginal). Car looks great up there on the rack, looks like you keep it nice.
How many hours did this take?

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Car looks well taken care of.. Let's get some sound clips as soon as you can..:thumbsup:

DirtyD916

SVT Based God
Established Member
man those headers are a piece of art. Its amazing to see the comparo between the stock cast headers and some tubular headers.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
JohnFrancis said:
How many hours did this take?

Over a period of 4 days, the first two saw six men working 6 hours each day. On day 3, we were down to three men working 6 hours. On day 4, it was down to my father and I working another 6 hours. We wasted a ridiculous amount of time tightening up the header nuts with the k-member in the way. We also wasted time by loosening and tightening the motor mounts and starter motor more than once. If we had to do it all over again, we would drop the k-member and most likely have the entire job done in half the time or less.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
DirtyD916 said:
Its amazing to see the comparo between the stock cast headers and some tubular headers.

Oh truly. I had a good laugh when I saw what the stock manifolds look like for the first time.

XplicitBoost

All Eyes On Me
Established Member
Great pictures!! It doesn't even look like you drive that thing. So clean. :bowdown:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Over a period of 4 days, the first two saw six men working 6 hours each day. On day 3, we were down to three men working 6 hours. On day 4, it was down to my father and I working another 6 hours. We wasted a ridiculous amount of time tightening up the header nuts with the k-member in the way. We also wasted time by loosening and tightening the motor mounts and starter motor more than once. If we had to do it all over again, we would drop the k-member and most likely have the entire job done in half the time or less.

you're joking right??

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's a ton of pics! And nice ones, too. Really shows what's involved with installing headers. I agree about dropping the K-member. That is what most people have done in the past when installing LTs on a Terminator. Must sound SO nice now! There is a local guy who has Kooks LTs on his Mach 1 and it sounds absolutely awesome.

stellar591

BlackChrome Saleens FTMFW
Established Member
Looks like your pretty meticulous with your work which is good but probably contributed to how long it took. Better to take your time and do it right the first time. Nice ride and I hope you enjoy the new sound!

Did you have any trouble getting the dipstick tube to snake through there and back into it's home? I've had problems with this in the past while doing longtubes. Just couldn't get that thing to go where it needed to go and line up with the mounting bolt.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
XplicitBoost said:
It doesn't even look like you drive that thing.

The Mach1 is not a daily driver. It sees about 5000 weekend-nice-weather miles a year. The drive through the desert to Arizona for the install, and back, was a blast. My daily driver is a 2006 Toyota Corolla. So it was nice to be out on the road in something that responds to the gas pedal.

kirks5oh said:
you're joking right??

Nope.

astrodudepsu said:
I notice you don't have any cats, won't that cause a good bit of trouble in Cali?

The Mach1 is now registered in Arizona. After the installation, I paid a visit to the MVD (Arizona's DMV equivalent) and had my Arizona registration and plates in about 15 minutes. They only had to see the car to verify the VIN and the mileage.

stellar591 said:
Looks like your pretty meticulous with your work which is good but probably contributed to how long it took. Better to take your time and do it right the first time. Nice ride and I hope you enjoy the new sound!

This project provided the family and some friends another excuse to get together, drink beer, and pull on wrenches. It was a real pleasure to work on the car under a lift too.

stellar591 said:
Did you have any trouble getting the dipstick tube to snake through there and back into it's home? I've had problems with this in the past while doing longtubes. Just couldn't get that thing to go where it needed to go and line up with the mounting bolt.

I personally did not put the dipstick tube back in. The two family members who reinstalled the tube had it back in place in about 10 minutes with a minor amount of struggle. I was expecting this to be a problem, but thankfully it wasn't. And I believe the dipstick tube was put back in place before the headers were tightened up.

Last edited:

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
PWORLDSTANG said:
Ground clearance doesn't look bad at all either.

Ground clearance is actually very decent. I can drive over moderate speed bumps and awkward driveways without scraping. This was a pleasant surprise. I would definitely scrape on large speed bumps.

PWORLDSTANG said:
Sound clip?

I have plans for a video, but that may have to wait a while.

Coiled03

Established Member
God damn those headers are a work of art! They ought to be mounted on a wall in a museum somewhere!

youlose

Established Member
Your beer was made about a mile and a half away from my house in Missoula MT! Nice job BTW, and way to keep your car clean on the bottom side as well--it makes you car faster!

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread