MGW was the problem

04RiceEater

Established Member
So I posted a while ago about my shifter giving me problems when I shifted. It wanted to go from 3rd to 2nd alot and was hard as hell to shift. I adjusted the clutch back and forth and still no good.

Well me and a buddy who still has the stock shifter on his T56 decided to swap shifters. WOW smooth as silk in every gear. Yea the throws are longer but now I can bang gears, I dont think that I will ever go back.

Cant believe the MGW gave me so many problems after I heard such great things about it. It let me down.

Stock shifter rules!:rockon:

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
So I posted a while ago about my shifter giving me problems when I shifted. It wanted to go from 3rd to 2nd alot and was hard as hell to shift. I adjusted the clutch back and forth and still no good.

Well me and a buddy who still has the stock shifter on his T56 decided to swap shifters. WOW smooth as silk in every gear. Yea the throws are longer but now I can bang gears, I dont think that I will ever go back.
?

Cant believe the MGW gave me so many problems after I heard such great things about it. It let me down.

Stock shifter rules!:rockon:

The MGW was designed in part because of the lousy 2-->3rd shift the stock shifter had failed in mind.
You didn't install the stops did you?
The T-56 has internal stops. So unless you're Mr. Wrench leave them in the box.
Jeff

vr4_007

Established Member
afaik. Your the only one?! I'm sure ur friend traded you a perfectly good shifter for a bad one for more than wanting to be a good friend.

:beer:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
my stock shifter is.. I think it's landfill, I kept the OEM heat exchanger and smaller pulley, but that shifter had to go..

lilb_svt

Established Member
yeah and i think im going to take my new kb2.6 off and trade my friend for his eaton.
you must be smoking some good shit

Last edited:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
The reason it was going from third to second, rather than fourth, is more than likely due to where you had the handle adjusted to rather than the shifter itself. I'm going to assume you had the shifter handle pointing toward you (the driver)? That will cause you to hit second rather than fourth when shifting if you do not shift properly. It's different than the stock shifter and may take some getting use to depending on how you have the handle but it is still a very nice shifter. I can say nothing bad about it. Goodluck with the stocker, i'm sure may people would like to take that MGW off your hand.

Josh

TRBO VNM

did you buy the shifter brand new from MGW or used?

CPViolation, he is talking about going from 3rd to 4th, but it would go to 2nd instead.

I had this same problem when they first came out.

Last edited:

GA Terminator

Established Member
either you did not have it installed correctly or your friend just talked you out of one of the best shifters on the market. have fun with the slop and long throws

Kysnake03

Established Member
You might contact George at MGW, and see what he says, because the MGW is a fine shifter. It could be something wrong in the shifter, has happened before, but they will take care of you.

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
I love my MGW. It was on the car when I bought it but I have test driven a Cobra with a stock shifter and it feels like your driving an 18 Wheeler compared to the MGW. Glad you are happy now though.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sorry, but the stock shifter will NEVER rule. It is junk. Plain and simple. ANY aftermarket shifter is better than the stocker. I have to agree you either didn't install it right or maybe there was something wrong with THAT shifter. Either way, had you called George he would have helped you. Weren't you surprised that your buddy was willing to swap? If the MGW shifter was junk he would have asked for his stock shifter back. Your buddy wins on this one. But if you're happy, that's all that matters in the long run.

04RiceEater

Established Member
Sorry, but the stock shifter will NEVER rule. It is junk. Plain and simple. ANY aftermarket shifter is better than the stocker. I have to agree you either didn't install it right or maybe there was something wrong with THAT shifter. Either way, had you called George he would have helped you. Weren't you surprised that your buddy was willing to swap? If the MGW shifter was junk he would have asked for his stock shifter back. Your buddy wins on this one. But if you're happy, that's all that matters in the long run.

The MGW was never as smooth as the stocker when I installed it. We took out the stops and got the quadrant and adjuster and still was never as smooth as my buddy with that exact same stuff. It had never wanted to go from 3rd till 2nd until we installed the new clutch (which was installed correctly). It was like a tug of war with the MGW now its like butter with the stocker, and BTW I still have the MGW.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I would call MGW and ask them, they will probably have you send it back and replace it. Nothing but good experience with their products and service so as others have said, I sure they would take care of you.

MGW>S**t on Stick>Factory Shifter

04RiceEater

Established Member
I will let you drive my car, with my MGW one day. :) I can shift like a raging animal, never miss gears, etc.

Yea I had only heard good things bout MGW but mine just never felt "Right" if you know what I mean, it was always very notchy and could always feel some resistance. After seeing what u guys say about the MGW vs Stock im sure there must be someting wrong with mine or the way I put it in. :shrug:

04RiceEater

Established Member

In fact my friend wants his stock shifter back cause he thinks its so smooth! He had a MGW and hated it and put my one on his car and thinks its horrible!

The stock shifter is just smoother than both are MGWs :shrug: Dont ask me how:dw:

Users who are viewing this thread