MGW was the problem

Wikkd03

Established Member
i knew the T-56 had stops in it already but you can completely remove the ones from the shifter base? if so i am going to do that with mine. i have a tri-ax and hitting 3rd is a little tricky

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
So I posted a while ago about my shifter giving me problems when I shifted. It wanted to go from 3rd to 2nd alot and was hard as hell to shift. I adjusted the clutch back and forth and still no good.

Well me and a buddy who still has the stock shifter on his T56 decided to swap shifters. WOW smooth as silk in every gear. Yea the throws are longer but now I can bang gears, I dont think that I will ever go back.

Cant believe the MGW gave me so many problems after I heard such great things about it. It let me down.

Stock shifter rules!:rockon:

crazy.gif

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The OEM shifter is a big POS. Even FORD admits to that. It sounds like either you had it set up wrong, have not learned to properly shift, or your have the only defective MGW ever built.

-Jeff

ice wat3r

noob
Established Member
love mine.
i just finally broke it in and i wish it wouldnt have. really liked the notchy, tight feel

ice wat3r

noob
Established Member
Yea I had only heard good things bout MGW but mine just never felt "Right" if you know what I mean, it was always very notchy and could always feel some resistance. After seeing what u guys say about the MGW vs Stock im sure there must be someting wrong with mine or the way I put it in. :shrug:

because it wasnt completely broken in yet. wasnt anything wrong.

id stay away from any extra boost or suspension mods. the extra pull or somewhat stiffened ride will probably drive another one of your buddies insane when he is forced to trade you :thumbsup:

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
The MGW was never as smooth as the stocker when I installed it. We took out the stops and got the quadrant and adjuster and still was never as smooth as my buddy with that exact same stuff. It had never wanted to go from 3rd till 2nd until we installed the new clutch (which was installed correctly). It was like a tug of war with the MGW now its like butter with the stocker, and BTW I still have the MGW.
The orange shifter is the best of both worlds. Short throws with plenty of torque without breaking your arm trying to shift.
There were two earlier models that gave you the choice of one or the other but not both.
Jeff

byronr

Established Member
can someone answer a question please,will the heads come off with the motor in car?2003 cobra,want ported new heads.Thanks Byron

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
can someone answer a question please,will the heads come off with the motor in car?2003 cobra,want ported new heads.Thanks Byron

Double-You-Tee-Eff?

What does that have to do with a shifter?

divided

Established Member
Thats weird. I had the exact opposite experience and the MGW is hands down better than stock. No question at all. IMO. Wonder what was up with yours?

Knoxville COBRA

Established Member
MGW, FTW I had them in my last two Terminators and on my last one i removed and reinstalled the stocker and man what a pos that was! So sloppy the words liquid metal comes to mind:lol:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Agreed, my MGW is great...only had it for about 1 month...but it's much better...

04RiceEater

Established Member
Well the MGW was better before I put the spec 3+ clutch in and after that it was a joke. I know u guys are giving me a hard time about this and if I read about this I would too, but I know what the shifter feels like and I dont care if your Dale Earnhart you couldent shift that thing fast! I adjusted the clutch like crazy, and nothing worked and no one could give a straight reason as to why it was like it was so I just got tired of having to push the shifter through a wall everytime i shifted so I went to the stocker and at least now I can shift quite fast.

04RiceEater

Established Member
The OEM shifter is a big POS. Even FORD admits to that. It sounds like either you had it set up wrong, have not learned to properly shift, or your have the only defective MGW ever built.

-Jeff

Well im sure its nice to have a smooth shifting car. My buddy has a smooth MGW and I can make that thing sound like a automatic, so its very frustrating to have it take 5 minutes to have to shift geras. I guess thats just my luck.:shrug:

2004silvercobra

Established Member
i said it before to that my mgw sucks ass as well. it feels like it has to click into every gear and always miss 4th because its so hard to get in and feels like im hitting a wall as well before it will go in.. spec 3+ clutch and built tranny. felt good with the pro 5.0 than got this and went to shit but sold the other shifter in the mean time..

Users who are viewing this thread