MGW was the problem

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
can someone answer a question please,will the heads come off with the motor in car?2003 cobra,want ported new heads.Thanks Byron

offtopic.gif

04RiceEater

Established Member
i said it before to that my mgw sucks ass as well. it feels like it has to click into every gear and always miss 4th because its so hard to get in and feels like im hitting a wall as well before it will go in.. spec 3+ clutch and built tranny. felt good with the pro 5.0 than got this and went to shit but sold the other shifter in the mean time..

Maybe we have the same probem as we have the same clutch. Hows the pro5.0?

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
keep the stocker in and get a short handle, shifters are a waste of money
It would be for you since you have an auto.
Sorry, I couldn't disagree with you more. It's light years ahead of the stock shifter.
Reading on in the thread, it may be the Spec III clutch.
I have an Apex spec (old Mustang hot-rod shop) Kevlar clutch which is a lot more stiff then a stock clutch. It doesn't effect the shifting.
Jeff

ViciousJay

Established Member
It would be for you since you have an auto.
Sorry, I couldn't disagree with you more. It's light years ahead of the stock shifter.
Reading on in the thread, it may be the Spec III clutch.
I have an Apex spec (old Mustang hot-rod shop) Kevlar clutch which is a lot more stiff then a stock clutch. It doesn't effect the shifting.
Jeff

go do your homework before making assumptions... i owned a cobra, tried EVERY SHIFTER! all were junk and were wayyyyyyy to notchy, hell ive watched people run low 11's on shifting stock shifter with short handles! theres better things to buy then a shifter

04RiceEater

Established Member
go do your homework before making assumptions... i owned a cobra, tried EVERY SHIFTER! all were junk and were wayyyyyyy to notchy, hell ive watched people run low 11's on shifting stock shifter with short handles! theres better things to buy then a shifter

This gives me hope! I have the red handle from the MGW, will it just bolt on? I can also maybe get the orange handle.

Silverboost

Established Member
never had the MGW but I have been real happy with my Pro 5.0. I have yet to miss a gear with it. My previous Cobra i had the steeda and i hated it. It was impossible to shift fast.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
Mine had Pro 5.0 in it when I bought it. I HATED that shifter. Notchy, noisy and stiff and 5th was WAY too far away.. I'd had a MGW in my GT and loved it, so I got a MGW for my Cobra. It's a beautiful thing. Slick, short, quick and quiet.

I've tried the stock shifter in other Cobra's and I gotta agree, it's less of a gear shift than a gear BAG.

But whatever you like is what you should have -- our opinions don't mean squat when it comes to YOUR car.

2006is350

Established Member
Well i hate to say it but mine does this too. If i pull it slowly from 3rd to 4th with the car not running it will slightly pop to the right. So 3rd is slightly over towards 2nd alittle. I have hit 2nd by accident once or twice, not very fun at all. I had the red handle MGW on my 03 and it was great but this one does seem a little wierd sometimes.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
just get a pro 5.0 and be done with it

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

in reality it is a personal choice not a matter of which one is better. I have a 95 Cobra with the Pro5.0 and an 04Terminator with the MGW. I liked the MGW enough that I am replacing the Pro5.0 with the MGW. They both are quality shifters but in MY opinion the MGW wins for me.

Ranked best to worst IN MY OPINION

MGW
Pro5.0
Steeda
Stock 04
Stock 95
Hurst

TRBO VNM

so you are saying it feels notchy? welcome to the world of the T56. it isn't the shifter that is notchy. it is the tranny. I have had 4 termi's and driven dozens more. they have all been notchy feeling with an aftermarket shifter.

look at the stock handle. see all the rubber between it and the stock shifter? that is what makes is feel smooth while shifting.

those of you that have gone from 3rd to 2nd in hopes of going from 3rd to 4th, try changing the position of the handle first. if that still doesn't fix it, give george a call. I had this problem no matter the position of the handle. he sent me another and no problems at all. as far as the notchy, no matter the aftermarket shifter, you will feel it. I have had the kirban, pro 5.0 and steeda before the mgw. and I drove a car with the UPR.

2004silvercobra

Established Member
mine feels more like it clicks in to gear. it feels like im in gear but not and have to give it an xtra little pull back to get it in to gear where it feels like it is clicking into it, never did it with the pro 50 and the same clutch. its not the clutch or the tranny.. i never went into 2nd from 3rd..

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I think some of ya'll that are worried about effort and notchiness need to stop driving Honda's that are like video game joysticks that just click back and forth in the gate.

I've had a TriAx and MGW. The MGW is quiet and smooth; albeit a bit heavy at times simply because it doesn't have the leverage of the looooong stocker. But I know its going to go the same place, with the same feel, with the same precision movement EVERY time.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
ya'll are out of your minds!
it's not the stock shifter that's junk, it's the stock handle. i had a tri-ax and a pro50 in mine, both lasted very short periods of time on my tranny, i put a Tri-Ax handle on my stock shifter and it is absolutely perfect......the shift pattern is smooth, you don't need a $200 shifter

Mustanger

Established Member
ya'll are out of your minds!
it's not the stock shifter that's junk, it's the stock handle. i had a tri-ax and a pro50 in mine, both lasted very short periods of time on my tranny, i put a Tri-Ax handle on my stock shifter and it is absolutely perfect......the shift pattern is smooth, you don't need a $200 shifter

You are not addressing the 2-3 shift problem ...sooo many times I would mess up on that shift UNTIL I put the TriAx in the GT...now in the Mach 1 the MGW is even better!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Tony, I still say the stock shifter is junk. LOL! :poke: I know some swear by the stock shifter (with an MGW handle) and that's great if they prefer it. I'm just not a fan of the stocker. I had an MGW handle with my stock shifter and after giving that combo a gallant try I switched to a TriAx. It was a nice improvement.

On a side note, I've driven my son-in-law's 2006 Z-06 and it shifts SO smooth. Not notchy at all. No problems going from 2nd to 3rd. But we're talking a higher price car. If the Cobra had been a $50K sticker, we'd probably not be talking so much about the crappy shifting issues.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
You are not addressing the 2-3 shift problem ...sooo many times I would mess up on that shift UNTIL I put the TriAx in the GT...now in the Mach 1 the MGW is even better!

my 2-3 shift is smooth as glass.....but i've got a lot of seat time bangin gears in this car
to each his own, obviously

Alb Cobra

Established Member
I have a MGW and it is notchy and was tight at first. After I broke it in it got better. I liked the smoothness of the stocker but it just had to much play in the horizontal direction, kinda like rolling a hot dog down a hall way. I personally like the notchy feel of the gear going in. Sucks you don't have the same enjoyment out the the MGW. There is bound to be a few bad "peas in the pod". I don't think any company has ever been 100% defection free. I have had the steeda before but the MGW is much better.

Users who are viewing this thread