Mystic paint

PIXER

Banned
Looking at buying a '96 Mystic cobra that is near me for well.......... cheaper than I should pass up.
Needs a reapint.
I did some research and only found paint code as "LF"
That can't be all of it.
Whats the full paint code?
Can I ONLY get it from a ford dealer?
What approximately does it really cost for the paint?
~ How much paint will I need to redo the whole car?
Thanks...... depneding on this info...... I will buy the car this week.
Thanks guys.
Mark

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Yes you can only get the mystic paint from Ford. Actually only a body shop can get this paint and must provide a valid VIN for your car before they can buy it. It is very expensive and I would expect a complete paint job with this paint to be between $3-5k, depending on if it's just the outside or doorjams, under hood, etc too.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
the wholesale price of teh paint is like $500 a pint and it takes 3 pints to do a normal paint job. add in primer, clearcoat, labor and everything you are looking at a $5000+ job.

PIXER

Banned
the wholesale price of teh paint is like $500 a pint and it takes 3 pints to do a normal paint job. add in primer, clearcoat, labor and everything you are looking at a $5000+ job.

Is there a paint JUST LIKE IT that is not from ford?
ALso, I had this local shop paint my R/T and they did a great job. they are a collision center for Pontiac, buick, gmc..... could they get the paint?
What is the full color code?

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I think Dupont makes a similar paint over the last couple of years, cheack around and if you dont buy the ford paint at least buy something of equal quality, the ford pint is very expensive but does look good. Ive heard a lot of mystics having to be painted and touched up, I guess it doesnt hold up as well as the other colors so you might wanna see about putting a few extra coats of clear on it to help protect it better, maybe, maybe not?

PIXER

Banned
yeah I just tried calling all the ford dealers in my area........ all collision centers are closed.
whats the paint code?
Thanks

PIXER

Banned
I think Dupont makes a similar paint over the last couple of years, cheack around and if you dont buy the ford paint at least buy something of equal quality, the ford pint is very expensive but does look good. Ive heard a lot of mystics having to be painted and touched up, I guess it doesnt hold up as well as the other colors so you might wanna see about putting a few extra coats of clear on it to help protect it better, maybe, maybe not?

Its the rear and front pumpers that fade from the research I have done.
However the cobra I'm looking at went through a fence......... :dw:
But fresh motor.... 70k original miles..... and the price :eek:
it might be worth it

KazooGS-T

Established Member
You can't get the paint code, it hasn't been released. You can only get the paint after a TSB is performed by the body shop and a BASF rep. comes out and determines exactly how much is need and gives just near enough. It's going to cost you a pretty penny.

PIXER

Banned
You can't get the paint code, it hasn't been released. You can only get the paint after a TSB is performed by the body shop and a BASF rep. comes out and determines exactly how much is need and gives just near enough. It's going to cost you a pretty penny.

whats a "pretty penny"
If I buy the car for $4k, then spend $3k to paint it. its still a good deal. And less money than other cars I have been looking at.
And are you kidding me?
A rep would come out :dw:

KazooGS-T

Established Member
A pretty penny is at LEAST 4k. And yes, a rep would come out, show the people painting, how to spray Mystic and clean the gun before and after, and then head out.

roush24

Established Member
whats a "pretty penny"
If I buy the car for $4k, then spend $3k to paint it. its still a good deal. And less money than other cars I have been looking at.
And are you kidding me?
A rep would come out :dw:

Your not going to paint the car for $3000 not even with the knock off paint. If you get some quality paint from Dupont or BASF I would say look at 4 to 5 grand to paint it at a quality shop. Trust me do not take this car to someone to paint just because they'll save you $500-1000 because the quality/workmanship will show and you will be disappointed. Paint is very important and you dont want to nickel and dime your way through this. Spend the extra money and get a good solid job done right the first time. Good luck. :beer:

Toasty

Established Member
I believe the hassle is that the Mystic paint is similar to the paint/dyes used to print money, and as such is heavily regulated. Hence the reasons for the the expense and the hassle of getting a BASF rep out.

If you buy this car, paint it with original paint - you'll best ensure your value that way.

PIXER

Banned
Your not going to paint the car for $3000 not even with the knock off paint. If you get some quality paint from Dupont or BASF I would say look at 4 to 5 grand to paint it at a quality shop. Trust me do not take this car to someone to paint just because they'll save you $500-1000 because the quality/workmanship will show and you will be disappointed. Paint is very important and you dont want to nickel and dime your way through this. Spend the extra money and get a good solid job done right the first time. Good luck. :beer:

I am a repeat customer, I have seen there quality (they did my truck) I was very happy with their quality.
They did the whole truck- installed all the parts- took out all the dents, and did some shaving for $2500.
A++ on the job, guantee'd for the life of the vehicle (that i owned it)
+ I gave them a $350 tip (cash) the last time I was there.
They will take care of me.

triplestang

Horse Trader
Established Member
Have you talked to your body shop yet? What the others guys said about buying the paint from Ford is true. The paint has the same dyes/formula as used in money. That's why it is so expensive. You also have to buy a basecoat (or atleast you do for the '04 Mystic Color) it's a 5 step process. If you are worried about the cost involved, I would definately recommend talking to someone at Ford as well as the body shop you want to give you a rough estimate. I wanted to paint one of my classic mustangs with the paint and could not purchase b/c I did not own a true mystic.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Bought my car for 12 and sold her for 12. I was tired of dealing with the run around Ford was giving me to paint the car. They said there is a 6 month wait for the paint, I sold the car. Maybe you will have better luck these days. As mentioned the paint holds up great on the metal but both my bumpers were faded. Here are a few and you can notice the fade in the first by the lights.-Shane

5a29.jpg

Few other nice shots..
1636.jpg

c5bd.jpg

mysticgg.jpg

diablostang

Established Member
Just repaint it another color and be done with it. Especially with the deal you're getting.

That's what I did with my Mystic in my sig :D

Users who are viewing this thread