Mystic paint

diablostang

Established Member
Are you serious???

Yes. No way I'm going to the trouble and expense to put a bunch of colors on my Cobra I don't like. I prefer a dark metallic red that pops in the sun. I don't really like green, I don't like purple, I don't like dark yellow and mixing them together with black didn't help. Mystichrome is hot though, I'd rock that.

Last edited:

KazooGS-T

Established Member
Yes. No way I'm going to the trouble and expense to put a bunch of colors on my Cobra I don't like. I prefer a dark metallic red that pops in the sun. I don't really like green, I don't like purple, I don't like dark yellow and mixing them together with black didn't help. Mystichrome is hot though, I'd rock that.
Then why did you buy a Mystic? Guess you just like paying a lot for a paint scheme you want to ruin. :loser:

diablostang

Established Member
Then why did you buy a Mystic? Guess you just like paying a lot for a paint scheme you want to ruin. :loser:

I bought it because I stole it. The original Mystic paint was not worth trying to save.
As far as "rarity" , anybody can buy a Mystic Cobra. There are generally several on eBay for sale at any given time. My car is red because I don't care what color "John Doe" on the internet thinks it should be.

Make sense? It's like other people who put Saleen Bodykits on their Cobra... Why should they change their "Limited Cobra" body...? Probably because it's their car and that's what they want to do. :lol1:

Last edited:

KazooGS-T

Established Member
I can understand your points. But what makes a Mystic so rare is the paint. Only 2000 were made and the numbers only go down. If everyone was like you, value would skyrocket.

diablostang

Established Member
I can understand your points. But what makes a Mystic so rare is the paint. Only 2000 were made and the numbers only go down. If everyone was like you, value would skyrocket.

Guess that's a good day for all the other Mystic owners, eh? :beer:

It's not like paint can't be replaced, lol.

KazooGS-T

Established Member
Guess that's a good day for all the other Mystic owners, eh? :beer:

It's not like paint can't be replaced, lol.
True enough, unless ford says "F you, you have a rio red cobra with mystic vins" :thumbsup: The fact is, it's YOUR car, do with it what you want. :beer:

diablostang

Established Member
The fact is, it's YOUR car, do with it what you want. :beer:

Thank you.

And I've got the original paperwork showing it was a Mystic ( in case I ever did sell down the road the next owner might care) but I couldn't care less. I paint my car to my taste, not so I can brag about my color changing paint in my signature. :pepper:

Toasty

Established Member
I bought it because I stole it. The original Mystic paint was not worth trying to save.
As far as "rarity" , anybody can buy a Mystic Cobra. There are generally several on eBay for sale at any given time. My car is red because I don't care what color "John Doe" on the internet thinks it should be.

Make sense? It's like other people who put Saleen Bodykits on their Cobra... Why should they change their "Limited Cobra" body...? Probably because it's their car and that's what they want to do. :lol1:

All that and a -1 trader rating. wowzers. You're a perfect source of comic material...

Toasty

Established Member
True enough, unless ford says "F you, you have a rio red cobra with mystic vins" :thumbsup: The fact is, it's YOUR car, do with it what you want. :beer:

And this is a public internet forum where I am perfectly free to call him a tard for doing moronic things... lol.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Thank you.

And I've got the original paperwork showing it was a Mystic ( in case I ever did sell down the road the next owner might care) but I couldn't care less. I paint my car to my taste, not so I can brag about my color changing paint in my signature. :pepper:

Not sure I would state it as harshly but I kinda agree just walked away from a deal with a guy who had a 57000 mile mystic for sale and the paint was just wasted had deep scratchs on all 4 corners and the clear coat was hazed on many parts and on one side it was peeling like a sun burn. I was gonna repaint it OG but it would have cost a fortune I figure so I was gonna repaint the outside under the hood and jams and trunk sill sonic blue and leave the engine bay the mystic which was still in good condition thought it might look trick and if someone down the line wanted to put it back it would be no worse then what would have been required to repaint it in the first place but I found a better deal. I say repaint it your favorite color save the paperwork for the next guy if he wants it and quite frankly at 70k miles and an accident like going through a fence showing on a carfax not to mention a rebuilt motor it's not going to bring in the big bucks on a resale even if you repaint it OG. I say paint it nicely in a color of your choice and enjoy your new shiney COBRA best of luck.:beer:

CAMELEON

Established Member
I would add 2 things .... 1 Diablostang - please take a minute or 2 to go to 1996MysticCobra.com they are trying to track down all of the Mystics. To the OP - Contact your local BASF rep. Unless anyone here has actually gotten paint, they will not know the whole story. I spoke to the regional rep for my area at Mustang Week and he made it sound as if it was much easier to get nowadays. It is still extremely expensive and you will need a black base, the LF coded mid coat and a clear coat. I am planning on paint alone to be $1500.

PIXER

Banned
I would add 2 things .... 1 Diablostang - please take a minute or 2 to go to 1996MysticCobra.com they are trying to track down all of the Mystics. To the OP - Contact your local BASF rep. Unless anyone here has actually gotten paint, they will not know the whole story. I spoke to the regional rep for my area at Mustang Week and he made it sound as if it was much easier to get nowadays. It is still extremely expensive and you will need a black base, the LF coded mid coat and a clear coat. I am planning on paint alone to be $1500.

Thanks, whats a BASF?
$1500 for paint would be fine w/ me.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks, whats a BASF?
$1500 for paint would be fine w/ me.

BASF is the name of the company that makes the paint and as quoted before $500.00 a pint and 3 pints to do the car thats $1500.00 right there then theres labor but best of luck on saving a limited edition painted car.

PIXER

Banned
BASF is the name of the company that makes the paint and as quoted before $500.00 a pint and 3 pints to do the car thats $1500.00 right there then theres labor but best of luck on saving a limited edition painted car.

how could I get ahold of them?
I thought I had read $1,200 a pint somewhere..... $500 is not super bad....

KazooGS-T

Established Member
I have gone through this, speaking someone ran into my rear bumper. The body shop went through all the TSB stuff and let me know exactly how it was. They will not, or should not release actual mystic paint to the public. And I can assure you it will be more than 1500. Speaking it was 1500 to do my rear bumper.

PIXER

Banned
I have gone through this, speaking someone ran into my rear bumper. The body shop went through all the TSB stuff and let me know exactly how it was. They will not, or should not release actual mystic paint to the public. And I can assure you it will be more than 1500. Speaking it was 1500 to do my rear bumper.

I'm currently going through the "Official SN95 pics thread" and just read someone claiming they repainted their Mystic and got the paint for $450 a pint....... I will NOT be using a ford dealer to do the paint (if I buy this car)

diablostang

Established Member

Okay, I'll send along my info to the Mystic Cobra registry. Thanks.

To the original thread poster: Sorry your thread got hijacked! Don't be afraid to buy a good deal and do what you want with it. Good luck! :rockon:

KazooGS-T

Established Member
I didn't have a ford dealer do my paint either, but I can assure you, it will cost more than $1500 for materials. IF you want to use the "knock-off" make sure and repaint the WHOLE car, that way there will not be any noticable differences in the paint scheme.

PIXER

Banned
I didn't have a ford dealer do my paint either, but I can assure you, it will cost more than $1500 for materials. IF you want to use the "knock-off" make sure and repaint the WHOLE car, that way there will not be any noticable differences in the paint scheme.

I was thinking t could all be done for $3k. SOund possible?

Users who are viewing this thread