has anyone installed a on3performance turbo kit on a 98 mustang cobra

goat-ee

Established Member
nope...heard its an extensive fab list to make it work on our cars

I can't speak to this specific kit, but on the Hellion the only real differences between the 96-98 Cobra and 99-up is the coil bracket and the last tube hooking up to the throttle body.

Maybe someone else has some FIRSTHAND experience that might chime in. These on3 threads always turn into a bunch of guys who have no experience with the product hammering the heck out of on3. On the Corral I have noticed that a good percentage of the guys that ACTUALLY own the kit seem to like it, and the rest wear out the "you get what you pay for" quote!!!

So come on guys there has got to be some guys that have bought it and can give some real insight as to the quality or lack thereof on this kit????

Bullitt357

Established Member
I can't speak to this specific kit, but on the Hellion the only real differences between the 96-98 Cobra and 99-up is the coil bracket and the last tube hooking up to the throttle body.

Maybe someone else has some FIRSTHAND experience that might chime in. These on3 threads always turn into a bunch of guys who have no experience with the product hammering the heck out of on3. On the Corral I have noticed that a good percentage of the guys that ACTUALLY own the kit seem to like it, and the rest wear out the "you get what you pay for" quote!!!

So come on guys there has got to be some guys that have bought it and can give some real insight as to the quality or lack thereof on this kit????

Here's some first hand experience:
My Turbo S281 On3 Performance - Page 27 - ModularFords.com
POST #213 is very insightful

98purevil

Established Member
thanks bro thats some good things to know.....well i just got my kit in and want to install it but before i do i want to see if anyone has done it already and has pic so i can see how they did it and if im going to need more things for it...if anyone out there has the kit on the 96 or 98 let me know ....

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
noturbowokresize.gif

Says it all

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
98 puredevil...I just ordered my kit today, have you started installing your or you still waiting to see a finiushed kit first?

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
I have one....well mostly anyway.

The one major problem I encountered is that the pipe that snaked over the tie rod end and through the K-member didn't fit. It was touching the tie rod boot and hit in 2 places on the K-member.

I attempted to use a exhaust bender to get it right, but the bender screwed the tubing up....I take full responsibility for that one.

In any case, I called On3 to see if I could BUY a replacement and basically got told that they can't source individual pipes. The funny thing about it is, how can they have a warranty if they can't replace a part...even if the customer is willing to buy it?

Here is what issues I have encountered so far or notes that i recall:

1. Ordered my kit in Early august, I didn't receive everything until mid October

2. Before ordering I was told it fit the T-56 tranny...it doesn't. I had to notch my case and dent the pipe. I think I would have been fine doing so if I knew about it, but telling me one thing and that not being the case ticked me off.

3. I Had a steeda timing adjuster that interfered with the first charge pipe coming off of the turbo. So it had to be removed. I don't consider this a "problem", but just an FYI if you have one.

4. Up pipe to down pipe need serious persuasion to bolt the wastegate on.

5. The last charge pipe doesnt' have a nipple to connect to the IAC on a 98. I cut a hole and welded some pipe on. The photo on their site is for a GT which has the nipple. I suggested to On3 that they go with this tubing for the 96-98 kits.

6. Blowing oil past the seal on the turbo, I fixed this by putting a .060 jet in the line.

7. You CAN reuse your passengers side coil pack bracket. The drivers side I cut off of the tabs that held the coil pack, but it still holds my PS resivoir fine. I am probably going to weld up a bracket that fits the coil pack in this area. Bottom line is that you don't have to relocate them to the rear.

8. On3 states that you have to cut the last charge pipe because of the TB location on 96-98 cars. I am able to connect it easily so I don't feel this is the case.

9. I was able to use the metal cooling lines provided by On3 to connect to my radiator and thermostat. I know they suggest using a flexible hose, but I was able to get away with it.

10...problem with pipe hitting tierod/k-member as discussed above.

11. Exhaust leaks, exhaust leaks, exhaust leaks. High temp RTV is your friend. This was my first time dealing with V-band fittings so there may be some user error, but I would tighten down and still have a leak.

12. The y-pipe "ball" fittings weren't necked down enough to connect to my 03 cobra catbach exhaust. I had to do a little work here with the exhaust bender.

13. If you have swaybar relocation brackets, they will not fit the kit. Thank god, I still had my stock brackets from 4 years ago when I put the QA-1 k-member on.

14. Tranny crossmember in new location for T-56 doesn't clear y-pipe. I had to fab a new one out of tubular steel to give more clearance. It shouldn't be an issue if you have the stock tranny/location.

15. Turbo support bracket...I still don't know how that was supposed to fit by the time I ground away enough material to clear my belt, there was barely any material to support the turbo. I made my own to clear my belt

That's about it.

You will encounter little things here and there that i didn't discuss but that is part of life when dealing with projects. I don't have any grudge against On3 for the issues that I encountered, other than poor shipping time, incorrect information in regards to the T-56, and having a questionable warranty since they can't provide a part that I'm willing to pay for.

P.S. The directions suck, but as stated in the directions, "This is not a step by step instruction but we do try to cover everything that we can on the install to make sure you are not guessing on what you are doing".

Well,
If you take the plunge, the directions to have one thing that I recall that is absolutely true.

"...sit back and take a deep breath, maybe grab your drink and relax. Take it step by step, it always seems like something isn’t going to work......"

03bluemach

Established Member
Not worth it my !!! wont go into detail but i had the foward facing kit ....

What i did was bought a CG Fab foward facing kit for 1200 , and you can have somone fab up your cold side ... best route to take if you want to go turbo but of course you need a K member and coilovers turbo, bov, wastegate, MAF, fuel etc... plus having the exhaust shop finishing up your down pipe then getting everything coated unless you do the SS opt. he has

Last edited:

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I've got the rear facing setup on my 96 with the original MM k-member. One brace from the k-member had to be removed and the pipe had to be crushed to clear the tie rod. Pipe had to be crushed to clear the t56 as well.

Most of the issues already listed here seem pretty accurate.

I am still messing with transmission issues so I don't have any results yet. The one drive I took it out on before my clutch gave out was downright scary. That's coming from someone who has a 470 rwhp eaton car too. I can't wait to get results. It felt like it had an extra 200 horsepower but seat of the pants meter isn't always so accurate. (Both cars at 16 psi)

Piping quality seemed fine to me. Vband clamps all needed to be replaced with quality vbands.

Last edited:

hittinboost

Established Member

What i did was bought a CG Fab foward facing kit for 1200 , and you can have somone fab up your cold side ... best route to take if you want to go turbo but of course you need a K member and coilovers MAF, fuel etc... plus having the exhaust shop finishing up your down pipe then getting everything coated unless you do the SS opt. he has
What kmember do you have to fit with the CG?

03bluemach

Established Member
The last pic is how i opted to mount the wastegate , in the merge pipe which is the best place .. i was going to move the RAD forward a bit a use the stock cooling fan but im just going to use a spal 14'' puller fan and mount it to the side of where the wastegate is in the pic .. I just sent everything off to the coater when it comes back it will be off to the exhaust shop to finish up the down pipe

Last edited:

hittinboost

Established Member
The last pic is how i opted to mount the wastegate , in the merge pipe which is the best place .. i was going to move the RAD forward a bit a use the stock cooling fan but im just going to use a spal 14'' puller fan and mount it to the side of where the wastegate is in the pic .. I just sent everything off to the coater when it comes back it will be off to the exhaust shop to finish up the down pipe
Usually you see twin gates used, one on each merge pipe, but that looks like a simpler setup

Can you still fit a swaybar?

03bluemach

Established Member
Im not sure on that one as ive never ran a sway bar on this car .. I cant say for sure,but it doesnt look like it will fit from where the pass. side header sits ..

To the OP sorry i wasnt trying to take over the thread just wanted to show an opt.

Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member

What i did was bought a CG Fab foward facing kit for 1200 , and you can have somone fab up your cold side ... best route to take if you want to go turbo but of course you need a K member and coilovers turbo, bov, wastegate, MAF, fuel etc... plus having the exhaust shop finishing up your down pipe then getting everything coated unless you do the SS opt. he has

Thank you for the pics! I have looked at those kits online before and they seem like great quality for sure.

Wish I knew if a rollbar would fit, and if a MM k member could be used.

Users who are viewing this thread