?? Lets Talk H&R Springs ??

CobraTerritory

Merica
Established Member
So I'm going to be getting rid of my coilover setup im running in the front of my mustang as it rides like complete sh*t and makes the most annoying sound when i turn the wheel in reverse from the coils rotating as the wheels turn. It also doesn't help that the shocks are Lakewood drag shocks from my drag racing days. Just never got around to changing them out. Luckely a buddy has an extra set of 03 cobra Bilstein shocks that im going to trade him for my Lakewoods. I have a QA1 tubular K-member on the car along with the matching tubular a arms but i'm going to be running the factory A-Arms that a shop notched so they will work with the tubular k member. Upon inspection of the A-Arms today i noticed the rubber ball joint boot is torn on both balljoints so looks like i have to order new ball joints also. Here is the list of parts i have to order...

- QA1 Spring Purches
- Steeda X2 Ball Joints
- H&R Springs ??? Race??? Sport???

Now for my questions... Whats the difference between the race and sport? Which is better? Why? Which will lower my car more? Who sells it the cheapest? I know the race is red and the sport is black and it seems like from looking at pics a lot of you guys run the race springs. I've got the sport springs in the back of the car when i swapped in an IRS but i just want a fresh set of springs on all 4 corners. Help me out. Looking forward to much better ride quality. Thanks :beer:

J.R.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Here is the list of parts i have to order...

- QA1 Spring Purches
- Steeda X2 Ball Joints
- H&R Springs ??? Race??? Sport???
Looks like a nice list J.R. I prefer the Race over the Sport springs personally.

Now for my questions... Whats the difference between the race and sport?
The Race will sit a little higher than the Sport and they will be a little stiffer.

Which is better? Why?
I prefer the Race due to the way it rides and how much it lowers the car. The Sport springs sit too low for my taste. (Scrape too much. LOL)

Which will lower my car more?
The Sport Springs.

Who sells it the cheapest?
Not sure who has them the cheapest but I know Lethal carries them and they may give you an SVTP discount.

I know the race is red and the sport is black and it seems like from looking at pics a lot of you guys run the race springs. I've got the sport springs in the back of the car when i swapped in an IRS but i just want a fresh set of springs on all 4 corners. Help me out. Looking forward to much better ride quality. Thanks :beer:

J.R.
I'm sure your ride quality will improve whichever spring you choose.

Kevin

mr.magic

Established Member
Mines on sport springs and with that drop you'll need to add CC plates to your list. IMHO it's way way too low as i drag on everything to include the freeway. HUMMM imagine bottoming out at 150mph on the freeway:eek:

Last edited:

monX

Established Member
I have the sport springs and I love them. the ride quality is SUPER, and barley any body roll and the handling is great. The Race springs as 04 sleeper mentioned sit higher and are stiffer, so depends on what you use the car for.

With the sport the car does sit quite low(but just right) and pipes sometimes get scraped if you go over a bump or such if you're not careful but I won't be changing them anytime soon.

Last edited:

CobraTerritory

Merica
Established Member
So im thinking H&R Race Springs without iso's. Also read up on the Steeda X2 Balljoints. They will lower the front end an aditional 1/2 inch without the Balljoint spacer installed. Sounds like the ride quality on the Race springs in better for a street car. A couple guys in "The complete lowering spring thread" switched their sport springs to race springs and were much happier and were also saying the sport spring is too soft for how much it lowers the car resulting in bottoming out often. Thoughts???

black 10th vert

Established Member
Can't speak to the Sport version, but I have the Race springs with the Steeda joints, so I can comment on that anyway.;-) The Steeda joints definitely drop the car more, and the spacers are not for the ball joints, they are big aluminum discs that go on top of the coil springs themselves to make up some of the difference due to the change in geometry from the balljoints. I thought I would want it as low as possible, because I had also researched, and heard that the Races didn't drop it as low as some wanted, so I installed them initially without the spacers, or lower isos. Because I have a vert., there is a factory k-member brace that hangs lower than the k-member, and it would catch on even the slightest crown in my own driveway! Looked cool as hell with it slammed like that, but I knew I was going to do some serious damage if I ever hit an obstruction in the pavement at high speed. I ended up adding in the aluminum spacers, along with some home-made lower isos, which inmo made the ride height perfect, and made all the difference in the world as far as having a car that is somewhat drivable on real roads, not just to and from a show. There is roughly 1/4" difference in height between the rear wheelwell and front now (front being the lower of the 2 obviously).

BrettT 93|03

93 & 03 Cobra Venom
Established Member
race

I spent 6 months researching this before I bought mine.

I went with the H&R race, cc plates, off set steering rack bushings and ALL ISO'S in place.

I absolutely love them. But, one kicker like everyone has said above. The fronts didn't come down enough to my likeing. I may pull the upper iso's out.

Other then that.... the ride is awsome!! Rides just as nice as oem. Only thing I notice that is.... my 3 inch exhuast resonates a little louder. But no big deal.

My car sits 26.5 inch's high in the front and 27. 5/8 " in the rear with 19" wheels. This is to the fender well.

GL

Last edited:

CobraTerritory

Merica
Established Member
Can't speak to the Sport version, but I have the Race springs with the Steeda joints, so I can comment on that anyway.;-) The Steeda joints definitely drop the car more, and the spacers are not for the ball joints, they are big aluminum discs that go on top of the coil springs themselves to make up some of the difference due to the change in geometry from the balljoints. I thought I would want it as low as possible, because I had also researched, and heard that the Races didn't drop it as low as some wanted, so I installed them initially without the spacers, or lower isos. Because I have a vert., there is a factory k-member brace that hangs lower than the k-member, and it would catch on even the slightest crown in my own driveway! Looked cool as hell with it slammed like that, but I knew I was going to do some serious damage if I ever hit an obstruction in the pavement at high speed. I ended up adding in the aluminum spacers, along with some home-made lower isos, which inmo made the ride height perfect, and made all the difference in the world as far as having a car that is somewhat drivable on real roads, not just to and from a show. There is roughly 1/4" difference in height between the rear wheelwell and front now (front being the lower of the 2 obviously).

Thanks for your input. So did you keep the back end setup without iso's?

black 10th vert

Established Member
Thanks for your input. So did you keep the back end setup without iso's?

No, I did the home made isos in the rear, so that I could keep from the metal to metal contact, but still have a nice drop too. I used some 3/4" ID heater type hose, because the wall thickness is pretty thin, but it is reinforced to make it durable. I can't remember the exact heights, but I posted them recently in another thread in this section. Very pleased with the ride, handling, and the stance.

Predatorbird

Established Member
Since you still have the GT motor in there, I'd ask the 99-04 GT owners. All of our cars will drop different due to the weight of the engine. I found that out when I installed H&R Race on my 99 Cobra. The rear end dropped fine, but the front barely came down(I had top iso's removed up front). I switched the fronts to H&R SuperSports (light blue) with no iso's and installed x2's without the spacer to get the drop I wanted.

Another thing you want to consider is what size tires you'll be running. A lot of people with 18's have a taller tire in the rear(i.e. 265/35 front & 295/35 rear) so you will want the front end lower or the rear end a little higher to get an even gap all around.

CobraTerritory

Merica
Established Member
Since you still have the GT motor in there, I'd ask the 99-04 GT owners. All of our cars will drop different due to the weight of the engine. I found that out when I installed H&R Race on my 99 Cobra. The rear end dropped fine, but the front barely came down(I had top iso's removed up front). I switched the fronts to H&R SuperSports (light blue) with no iso's and installed x2's without the spacer to get the drop I wanted.

Another thing you want to consider is what size tires you'll be running. A lot of people with 18's have a taller tire in the rear(i.e. 265/35 front & 295/35 rear) so you will want the front end lower or the rear end a little higher to get an even gap all around.

Thanks Predatorbird! Didn't really think of that. does anyone know the weight difference between a 2v and 03-04 4v. I have the kenne bell blower on mine so mine weighs more than your average 2v :rockon:

GodStang

Established Member
From what I have run in the past.

Cobra - H&R Race
Mustang GT - H&R Super Sport (currently have them on my 01 GT)

RcodeStang

Established Member
Here's what H&R race with no isolators on an SRA car looks like:

IMG_20100814_194458.jpg

Rides great with Bilsteins. Better than the stock Mach setup. With the X2s and no spring spacers you'll be SLAMMED up front. Personally I think it would look retarded if the front were any lower considering how high the rear sits.

CobraTerritory

Merica
Established Member
That pic just proves all the possible variations to consider. This is the most current pic of my temporary setup. 17x9 and 17x10.5 275/315. Its an IRS car and im running H&R Sport Springs with bottom iso's only in the rear. IMO The back end sits perfectly.

edit1.jpg

Predatorbird

Established Member
What size tires are you going to run with the TF wheels? The gap will look different if the overall height of the tire is different from what's on there now.

Users who are viewing this thread