engine tick ....please take a look

Casper cobra

Established Member
bought this car last year from Merrillville, IN with milage 15K and no issues. today we change engine oil and there is wired noise come from the engine (TICK). is there any one hear it before. please HELP.
today car milage 17K
production in first of 2004

video

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aer_lbnwUdc"]YouTube - 20101014020.mp4[/nomedia]

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Did you switch oil brands or wt.?
Did you use a different filter? No oil leak?

My advice put the previous setup of oil and filter back in, new of course, and report back!

Grimster

Established Member
Did you switch oil brands or wt.?
Did you use a different filter? No oil leak?

My advice put the previous setup of oil and filter back in, new of course, and report back!

Ya make sure there is no leak (or that you are burning oil for some reason). My wife's truck started ticking real bad...low and behold she was FOUR QUARTS LOW!!! :lol1:

Casper cobra

Established Member
i do not have any idea about the old oil (weight / brand) the oil filter was motorcratf (ford).
the new oil is GTX castrol 10-30 + motorcratf oil filter, after 2 hours we change the oil again to Focus 20-50 + new motorcratf oil filter and there was no any leak and same sound.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
i do not have any idea about the old oil (weight / brand) the oil filter was motorcratf (ford).
the new oil is GTX castrol 10-30 + motorcratf oil filter, after 2 hours we change the oil again to Focus 20-50 + new motorcratf oil filter and there was no any leak and same sound.

If it is still making the same tick with 20w50 it is time for new guides+valve job or new heads.

03snakeminated

Established Member
that's too much of an oil weight :nono: , just try mobil1 5w20 or even royal purple same weight, you can go as much as 5w30 (make sure is a full-synthetic oil) how many quarts are yo putting in?

jdgt03

Established Member

Thats way to thick, 5w20 is what u need, these engines are really tight, id try 5w20 and try it again.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
When the OP gets done trying all the different oil weights being suggested, I predict that he will find that his guides are worn.

A 10w30 ticked, and then a 20w50 ticked. A 10w30 is definitely not too thick of a viscosity even though a 20w50 might be depending on the app..

I use a 10w40 with no ill effects though it is a high end Synthetic so the cold flow is quite good. Before that I used a 10w30 and had no problems with that either.

The 5w20 suggestions are not helpful since I'm sure every one can read the owners manual just fine and we all know these engines used to be 5w30.

I predict a 5w20 will tick even louder, at least when it is warm.

Let's keep in minds the current oils shipped with the GT500s is 0w50 Synthetic and they are built no looser than our engines. They do have different lash adjusters however.

Last edited:

fr03cobra

Established Member
5 20 will make it tick too. 5 30 is the best. I had 5 20 in mine and it ticked. i had to change it back to 5 30 the next day

monX

Established Member
What headers do you have? Reason I ask is sometimes it could be an exhaust leak from blown header gaskets...

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
It should be referred to as a "rattle" rather than a "tick". All these 4.6 motors have a bit of a tick, but that is a noticeable rattle - hope it gets sorted out!

I have 18,000 on my '03 and the left side is just a hair "tick-ier" than the right side (same with my '03 Aviator). Added the head cooling mod to the truck and switched to 5w30 and it seems to have helped. Will switch to the 5w30 in the Cobra as well and keep my fingers crossed.

Casper cobra

Established Member
this morning we start the car, run it at idle for 10 Min & no tick, Then we took it for 5Min short cruise and the sound came again . our next plan is to switch to 5w30 Synthetic oil and we will update u.

Casper cobra

Established Member
it is hard to find 5w30 synthetic oil here in my country:shrug: for the past 2 days searching the market we found:
mobil1 0w40
total 5w30
motorcraft 5w20

please advice which one to try:read:

Users who are viewing this thread