engine tick ....please take a look

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Try the Castrol 0w30 (the German made stuff). I'd guess it would be available outside the US as well. Used it in my S60R and it is good stuff.

Last edited:

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
ive got the same problem exactly as the op i did however pm him he said they replaced the lash adjusters problem solved

antiv6

Established Member
I was always curious why so many people avoid using 5w-20 even though its what is recommended and even written on the oil cap.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I was always curious why so many people avoid using 5w-20 even though its what is recommended and even written on the oil cap.

That settles it then!

Or you can just get the Motorcraft EC743 cap - just says "Engine Oil" - that will ease your conscience...

hotcobra03

Established Member
bought this car last year from Merrillville, IN with milage 15K and no issues. today we change engine oil and there is wired noise come from the engine (TICK). is there any one hear it before. please HELP.
today car milage 17K
production in first of 2004

video

YouTube - 20101014020.mp4

nice noise...last time my car made a noise like that,,valve hit piston,cam follower fell off....2000 to fix...the cheap way

good luck

silverserpant

Established Member
John Mihovetz(owner of accufab) did a big study on the " what oil to use" theory but I cant find it on the web as we speak to back up it up.

He found that the tolerances in the lash adjusters is the reason for 5w20 oil in the 4.6 L motors, and why the oil weight changed in the gt, gt500 and cobra r was with differant lash adjusters. He did dyno time on the 4.6L engine with the diiferant oils and found at high RPM's the heavier oils where holding the valves open and causing not only power loss but for the engine to lose rpm when compared to the 5w20 oil.

I forget what his final choice was but I am going to go through my engine books and find out his answer.

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
Well Ive got new lash adjuster to install my sound is only present when hot like the op states I've used a boroscope to look at pistions and and cylinder walls everthing looks great and I've also gt500 oil to try but unsure what to do,

Robert

Taz

Established Member
Could be an exhaust leak...

Mine sounded exactly like that when I had a broken weld on one of my headers.

It was temperature sensitive too, just like this guy's. Cold no ticky. Hot loud ticky.

Casper cobra, do you still have the cast iron stock logs, or do you have tubular steel headers on the car?

cobra=trouble

Established Member
tick means .loose exhast valve seat ..in my case.when it stopped ticking .few days later , i had zero compression on 1 cylinder

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread