engine tick ....please take a look

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Well Ive got new lash adjuster to install my sound is only present when hot like the op states I've used a boroscope to look at pistions and and cylinder walls everthing looks great and I've also gt500 oil to try but unsure what to do,

Robert

I am going to predict that the lash adjuster is not going to fix your tick.
I hope I'm wrong, but.. it's more likely an exhaust guide.

Good luck with it.

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
Well Jimmy that's why I'm asking I've compared the ops videos to mine his is a tad louderhe said in a pm the lash adjuster fix it but I dunno eithersound is more noticable at a drive thru, car makes plenty of power lol nosiy just aggravates me I know its quiet but still, jimmy your running thicker oil? You see any side effects?

Thanks
Robert

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
John Mihovetz(owner of accufab) did a big study on the " what oil to use" theory but I cant find it on the web as we speak to back up it up.
He found that the tolerances in the lash adjusters is the reason for 5w20 oil in the 4.6 L motors, and why the oil weight changed in the gt, gt500 and cobra r was with differant lash adjusters. He did dyno time on the 4.6L engine with the diiferant oils and found at high RPM's the heavier oils where holding the valves open and causing not only power loss but for the engine to lose rpm when compared to the 5w20 oil.
I forget what his final choice was but I am going to go through my engine books and find out his answer.

Yes he did tell the guy with sand buggy to take out the 20w50 and put in 5w20, but he recommends and uses 5w30.

For abusive apps like road racing it is not unreasonable to use a 10w40, if we give up 10 horsepower(which I seriously doubt would occur) and the engine lives, we will prefer that outcome.

Here are the quotes from ModFords:
The oil thing is funny. To be specific, I use different types of oil depending on what I am doing. Basically 5W30 though. Royal Purple mostly. The lash adjusters dictate the use of the 5W30 oil. Then the clearance of the rest of the motor revolves around that.

It is true that the Ford GT uses 5W50 oil, HOWEVER, the lash adjusters are specifially calibrated in that engine for that oil. AND I can tell you for a fact that 5W30 does not work in the Ford GT because I already did that on the dyno and it lost 15 hp on the dyno back to back. As it turns out the reason it lost hp was the thinner oil is more easily compressed in the lash adjuster and the engine effectively thinks the cam is smaller because it is now easier to depress the lash adjuster than to open the valve. Basically the cam profile is the problem in that specific application. The thicker oil is the band aid.

I am working on a cure for that problem. That will be a different story. I would prefer not to elaborate too much more until I have EXACT answers, not close or almost.

That's 1000 hp at the flywheel. Stay tuned.

John Mihovetz

Here is the link to the thread if anyone wants to read it, there is a lot of good tech in it.
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php/45339-Crower-Cams

Last edited:

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
so basically the only way im gonna know is to install the lash adjuster, cause if thats not it, its a worn exhaust valve guide

thanks
Robert

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
did you happen to make any WOT passes to 120+?? on a low tank of gas maybe?? I guess what i'm asking is what were you doing in the car before the oil change?

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
ive have talked with guy who wrote the info he said he fixed the issue with lash adjuster and know im trying to get mine situated as i have the same sound but quieter, and the lite click is only there with the motor fully warm

Users who are viewing this thread