I would like advice on my termi so i dont break it

laterbra

Established Member
hi guys,

im kind of fresh here. i cruise the forum and usually read up on all the articles for the termi so i dont have to post or ask as there is so much info on here.

i have a 2003 Sonic termi with the following mods:
accufab sbtb 2.9 blower pully, intake and cat back exhaust magnaflow and diablo sport tuner. this is the stock blower

THE PROBLEMS:
tranny shifts hard when the car heats up under normal driving,
it feels like when i change gears that im shifting a brick and under WOT forget it.
another is I can be parked push the clutch in and try to put it into first gear its hard to do that a) and b) you hear a subtle clunk from the rear end.
and lastly at times when im WOT and i shift the car bogs MAJOR. i changed the plugs no difference.

WHAT is happening i cant figure it out.

also if i want to put a stage 4 steg on the car what supporting mods should i have?

Tell me if im right:

kenne bell Boost a Spark
accel coil packs
Kenne bell Boost a pump
60lbs injectors
spec 3+ and 26 spline inputshaft
steeda clutch quadrant and adjuster

i have access to these mods at a good deal so i wanted to ask if it was worth it.

help would be really gladly appreciated!

Thanks
Joe

BlownShelby10

Established Member
KB bap, bigger MAF, aftermarket clutch of your choice, 60lbs Inj, and tune! You will be good to go...Might also want to change plugs again with lower gap for new setup... Just search u can find anything and everything u need to know about a 03-04 cobra

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
termi <---UGH!:nonono:

Tell me if im right:

kenne bell Boost a Spark<---- NO
accel coil packs<-------------NO
Kenne bell Boost a pump<-----YES
60lbs injectors<--------------MAYBE
spec 3+ and 26 spline input shaft<---- Not a bad choice.
steeda clutch quadrant and adjuster<--- I prefer the Fore adjuster, though I am still stock

i have access to these mods at a good deal so i wanted to ask if it was worth it.

help would be really gladly appreciated!

Thanks
Joe

It sounds like your clutch is not disengaging all the way. I would try adjusting what you got first and see what happens. Pull up on the clutch pedal with your hand... hard. Then press it all the way down with your foot, if it clicks it adjusted itself. Go drive it and see if it's any better.

It also sounds like you have the "higher than stock boost shift hesitation".
This can be tuned out or you can do a PPRV delete to eliminate it.

No need to mess with coils until you verify you need to. Stock coils will support 700 plus RWHP and beyond. We gap our plugs down tighter as boost rises, eventually you switch to a colder plug also. The smaller gap usually takes care of high boost spark blow out without touching the coils(except when you remove the plugs:-D)

laterbra

Established Member
thanks guys for the quick response.
jimmysidecarr- i didnt think i needed the kb bas or the accel coils. noone really has that stuff on there cobras.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
thanks guys for the quick response.
jimmysidecarr- i didnt think i needed the kb bas or the accel coils. noone really has that stuff on there cobras.

Our stock coils are pretty awesome especially compared to the stuff we had in the 80s and early 90s.

I would plan on doing something about the pegged MAF potential before it happens, it was mentioned above but I forgot to say something in my post.

There is a very good possibility that you may not need injectors but it is almost a guarantee that you will need a MAF or MAFia.

Last edited:

laterbra

Established Member
Our stock coils are pretty awesome especially compared to the stuff we had in the 80s and early 90s.

I would plan on doing something about the pegged MAF potential before it happens, it was mentioned above but I forgot to say something in my post.

There is a very good possibility that you may not need injectors but it is almost a guarantee that you will need a MAF or MAFia.

what about this?

C&L 95mm Air Induction System for 03-04 Cobra Mustangs

95mm housing with the use of your stock sensor

bb97gt

Established Member
I agree with Jimmysidecar, I had a buddy spend the money on upgrading ignition components ended up just going back to stock because of a million problems, and now makes over 800 whp.

Last edited:

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
X2 on the coils....I had after market coils and had to pretty much give them away.

Not worth the money, everything else seems good

laterbra

Established Member
thanks guys, good info so far, im not going to touch the igition system, sounds like a waste of money.
what about my problems any one else experience what i am?

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
what about my problems any one else experience what i am?

Just about everybody making more than stock power has done the BAP, Aftermarket clutch quadrant and adjusters, clutch work etc. Don't feel like you are in an abnormal position.

laterbra

Established Member
no thats fine the more goodies the better, but my tranny being a brick even before i was making more power it was doing this.

KENNE BELL BAP 20A or 40A? which one should i go with. i found a 20a online

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
How many miles are on the car? I just replaced my stock clutch cable with 57,000 miles and I can actually shift gears now. Same symptoms - difficult to shift at cruise, near impossible to bang gears at high rpm.

mu22stang

Established Member
I'd personally start with the clutch cable - cheapest route. I think I paid around $35 + S&H from Tousley Ford (800)328.9552. Stock cable is the only way to go.

R&R took about 30 mins. If you're a big guy, remove the front seat. If you have big hands, buy one of your small handed buddies a 6-pack.

Last edited:

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
Its not the cable, its the quadrant causing his grief. The stock adjustment sucks, you can reset it all you want, but it slacks out again pretty quick. Get an aftermarket one, or cut the self adjusting tab of your stock one, and adjust it manually.

If you go through the auto-adjustment and your shifts improve, it saves the hassle of changing your cable for no reason. If you do need a cable, NEVER EVER buy an aftermarket cable... Factory Ford cables only!!!!

I modded my stock one, and it was the best free 45 minute modification ever. Sucks trying to dremmel while upside-down but it was totally worth it..

For your other mods, Mr Jimmysidecar is as always an excellent source of Terminator (fully spelled out), information!!

I have a Boost-a-Spark in my car, it is mostly useless. Came in handy on the dyno when I forgot to swap plugs before hand, but shouldn't be needed under normal circumstances.

mu22stang

Established Member
Its not the cable, its the quadrant causing his grief. The stock adjustment sucks, you can reset it all you want, but it slacks out again pretty quick. Get an aftermarket one, or cut the self adjusting tab of your stock one, and adjust it manually.

If you go through the auto-adjustment and your shifts improve, it saves the hassle of changing your cable for no reason. If you do need a cable, NEVER EVER buy an aftermarket cable... Factory Ford cables only!!!!

I agree and did that mod to my car well in advance of my recent cable swap. Guess how much that mod works for a stretched cable...

Edit: I'd like to rephrase that. Adding another click once the cable starts to stretch will recover shifting smoothness. But, my car's a daily driver and I wasn't about to over-tighten my already stretched clutch cable with additional clicks and have it leave me stranded once it failed. Thus, the new OEM cable.

Perhaps a source for information on the mod would be good. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/389553-how-adjust-clutch-cable.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread