Just took down a 2012 Boss 302...

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Yeah yeah no street racing. I know. I haven't tried anyone until now. What do you expect with 2 Mustangs at a redlight?

So he came up on my rear when I was on the highway. He saw me, increased his speed and pulled up beside me. Traffic was horrible on the hwy. He went passed me & promptly got off at the next exit. I followed him ;-). We turn left under the highway and wouldn't you know it....the redlight is all ours. Light turns green and we take off. I slip the clutch and hammer the gas. I short shift into 2nd because I was spinning. He was 3/4 car behind me at that point. I'm midway through second feathering the gas a little because I'm still spinning some. She stops spinning and I give it all the gas in 2nd. He's now 1 1/2 cars behind me. Then he let off and made the 1st right. Guess he didn't wanna play anymore :-(

So by about 70mph I had him by 2 cars. His car was beautiful though. Looked bone stock. I'm sure he won't leave it that way for very long....

EDIT: I forgot the best part! I was at the next redlight when a work truck pulled up next to me with 2 guys in it. They were grinning ear to ear and giving me the thumbs up. Apparently they saw the whole thing. LOL.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
The new Boss 302 is no joke. It will give an M3 quite a scare which is amazing. Without a blower that engine will have it's work cut out for it. I think the heads are CNC ported from the factory and as a 50 degree variable cam timing. I have a feeling hi-performance cars are headed where motorcycles were 10-15 years ago. The difference between the full-on Factory Works bikes and the "consumer" versions was like 10-20 hp and are not worth the expense of hopping them up.

Good Kill. He will think twice next time he encounters a Terminator :mj:

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Nice Kill.

He was probably the Lot guy driving it to the Dealer Trade.:eek::eek:

Somebody on here getting one today? :poke:

earico

Established Member
Not very many of these on the streets yet, what color was it?
I wish I had the dough for one, they are absolutely perfect for what I like to do with my cars.

It was yellow. It looked really good.

Nice.

car is so new and that guy may not have been able to drive. Good kill either way.

True. His first mod might need to be the driver mod.

What are your mods?

3.1 Upper 4lb Lower, Longtubes, Full Exhaust, SCT MAF, 60s, AFCO HE, SPEC 3 clutch, Diff brace.....the usual. I've got to get it on the dyno and retune. I just bought the car a month ago.

I'm running 295/35 NT05s out back.

Last edited:

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Nice kill but those things are no joke. i'm surprised that one it out already.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Good kill....but race him around a track and see what happens! :lol1:

Yea, that would not be very pretty.

.........but upgrade the Terminator suspension and I think the tables will turn very quickly. The Boss is only 60 lbs lighter then the Terminator and that's with an aluminum block and no supercharger or IRS. The SN95 also has 6" less of wheelbase. Stiffen the chassis, install IRS bushings, de-camber the rear, coilovers, upgrade the toe link bars, get rid of the rag joint, move the battery to the trunk and some PS2 Pilots and your in Cobra R territory :banana: The Boss is already in a high state of chassis tune right off the showroom floor similar to the engine. We have a lot to work with.

Not taking anything away from the Boss but I prefer the compact close coupled blown IRS Cobra. With the right mods I still think it's the best all around Mustang to play with.

01-04Cobra

Established Member
I saw a white one on Sunday but had my family with me in the car. I have to say, it has a nostalgic effect like no other Mustang.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member

.........but upgrade the Terminator suspension and I think the tables will turn very quickly. The Boss is only 60 lbs lighter then the Terminator and that's with an aluminum block and no supercharger or IRS. The SN95 also has 6" less of wheelbase. Stiffen the chassis, install IRS bushings, de-camber the rear, coilovers, upgrade the toe link bars, get rid of the rag joint, move the battery to the trunk and some PS2 Pilots and your in Cobra R territory :banana: The Boss is already in a high state of chassis tune right off the showroom floor similar to the engine. We have a lot to work with.

Not taking anything away from the Boss but I prefer the compact close coupled blown IRS Cobra. With the right mods I still think it's the best all around Mustang to play with.

Then you heat soak and buh bye

Sent with My Massive Johnson

SlowSVT

Established Member
Then you heat soak and buh bye

Sent with My Massive Johnson

Never heard of a "heat soaked" chassis but if you say so :shrug:

Actually a high hp Terminator won't help much on a road course unless it's a big track. But a mildly boosted Terminator will have no problem on a track and will still make more ponies. FI beats NA everytime :-D

earico

Established Member

Yep. Hell you can make a VW bug hang with just about anything.

Just because the factory spit out something new doesn't mean that now it's the best thing and you gotta have it. The Boss is badass don't get me wrong but is it really that much better than a Terminator performance wise?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Yep. Hell you can make a VW bug hang with just about anything.

Just because the factory spit out something new doesn't mean that now it's the best thing and you gotta have it. The Boss is badass don't get me wrong but is it really that much better than a Terminator performance wise?

Considering the capabilities of the Boss 302 off the showroom floor and what it lacks compared to the Terminator (blower and IRS) I would say "yes". It is that much better. But we have more to work with and much can be improved. That's the difference.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
@Slow

It is yet to be seen how much these BOSS 302's can be improved upon in terms of road course pace - same goes for it's engine. The S197 has already proven its dominance in the chassis department over the SN95 and the BOSS takes that dominance to the next level. The IRS vs. solid axle argument is too fundamental to deem that an area the Cobra has an advantage. Furthermore, the S197 3 link is a proven combo that gets rave reviews. The front suspension geometry of the S197 is superior as well. In terms of total chassis-suspension package, it's 2 to 1, BOSS. Let's call the rear suspension a draw, stock for stock.

Just like you said, anything can be improved upon. It's just too complicated to determined a definitive, unbiased winner when comparing a custom car to a production car.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
@Slow

It is yet to be seen how much these BOSS 302's can be improved upon in terms of road course pace - same goes for it's engine. The S197 has already proven its dominance in the chassis department over the SN95 and the BOSS takes that dominance to the next level. The IRS vs. solid axle argument is too fundamental to deem that an area the Cobra has an advantage. Furthermore, the S197 3 link is a proven combo that gets rave reviews. The front suspension geometry of the S197 is superior as well. In terms of total chassis-suspension package, it's 2 to 1, BOSS. Let's call the rear suspension a draw, stock for stock.

Just like you said, anything can be improved upon. It's just too complicated to determined a definitive, unbiased winner when comparing a custom car to a production car.

I never suggested whether one car is a "winner" over the other. With the right mods and enough money even a 73 Vega will lap both cars.

I think if you understood what I was getting at you would realize I am agreeing with your statement above. Go back and review what I stated regarding the level of refinement possible in the chassis. As the factory gets better and better with the chassis set-up it will be harder and harder to find measurable improvement like has happened with sport bikes. The Terminator leaves much to be improved which makes it easier to "catch-up".

Regarding the advantages of an IRS over a live axle. Not to start another IRS vs. straight axle debate but a live axle will always be behind the 8 ball over an IRS. It has massive amounts of unsprung mass over an IRS, lacks the ability to be de-cambered or toe'd, isn't fully adjustable and the geometry cannot be dynamically changed as the wheel move in it's travel (it's more or less fixed). That is not my "opinion", those are hard cold facts. An IRS in the Boss would just be icing on the cake :rockon:

As stated, Ford has a built a winner of a car with the Boss and should be commended on the results. Some people tend to take personal offense with the suggestion that even if a car is great doesn't mean a "lesser car" can't become a "greater car" (that 73 Vega is in the rear view mirror and is closing :uh oh:). I think that is something everyone understands.

Meanwhile the Terminator stays in the garage while the chassis development continues and will look foreword to encountering a Boss 302 (even a modded one!) :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread