Just took down a 2012 Boss 302...

mysterio

Established Member
Glad to hear the Boss is starting to show up on the street. Not one single Ford dealer around my area has one yet. A guy in my stang club has one on order, and has been waiting as patiently as possible.

....which is, of course, pretty impatient, as I'm sure we'd all be.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I never suggested whether one car is a "winner" over the other. With the right mods and enough money even a 73 Vega will lap both cars.

I think if you understood what I was getting at you would realize I am agreeing with your statement above. Go back and review what I stated regarding the level of refinement possible in the chassis. As the factory gets better and better with the chassis set-up it will be harder and harder to find measurable improvement like has happened with sport bikes. The Terminator leaves much to be improved which makes it easier to "catch-up".

Regarding the advantages of an IRS over a live axle. Not to start another IRS vs. straight axle debate but a live axle will always be behind the 8 ball over an IRS. It has massive amounts of unsprung mass over an IRS, lacks the ability to be de-cambered or toe'd, isn't fully adjustable and the geometry cannot be dynamically changed as the wheel move in it's travel (it's more or less fixed). That is not my "opinion", those are hard cold facts. An IRS in the Boss would just be icing on the cake :rockon:

As stated, Ford has a built a winner of a car with the Boss and should be commended on the results. Some people tend to take personal offense with the suggestion that even if a car is great doesn't mean a "lesser car" can't become a "greater car" (that 73 Vega is in the rear view mirror and is closing :uh oh:). I think that is something everyone understands.

Meanwhile the Terminator stays in the garage while the chassis development continues and will look foreword to encountering a Boss 302 (even a modded one!) :poke:

I agree. IRS vs Solid axle (road course application not drag) is just a waste of time to argue. People that love to claim a solid axle is better just love to argue for the hell of it. Solid axle has been around since the Model T and is just not best for handling. Period.

Hell even Porshe finally went water cooled. LOL.

You're right about the factory. The more they make it better it leaves less room for improvement in the aftermarket.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Points and Carbs are better than EFI.:burn::poke::bash:

of course they are.. when your stuck out in the back woods and have to use a match book cover to set your points on your new car... oh wait, I've never had to touch the ignition settings in any of my EFI vehicles, no matter how hard I drive them or beat on them.. :fart:

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
I never suggested whether one car is a "winner" over the other...

*rewind*

Considering the capabilities of the Boss 302 off the showroom floor and what it lacks compared to the Terminator (blower and IRS) I would say "yes". It is that much better. But we have more to work with and much can be improved. That's the difference...

...Regarding the advantages of an IRS over a live axle. Not to start another IRS vs. straight axle debate but...

Fundamentally, the concept of an IRS is better for a variety of reason, many of which you listed. I simply stated that comparing an IRS from car A to the SRA from car B is more complicated than "an IRS will always be better than an SRA." That argument is insufficient.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I never suggested whether one car is a "winner" over the other. With the right mods and enough money even a 73 Vega will lap both cars.

I think if you understood what I was getting at you would realize I am agreeing with your statement above. Go back and review what I stated regarding the level of refinement possible in the chassis. As the factory gets better and better with the chassis set-up it will be harder and harder to find measurable improvement like has happened with sport bikes. The Terminator leaves much to be improved which makes it easier to "catch-up".

Regarding the advantages of an IRS over a live axle. Not to start another IRS vs. straight axle debate but a live axle will always be behind the 8 ball over an IRS. It has massive amounts of unsprung mass over an IRS, lacks the ability to be de-cambered or toe'd, isn't fully adjustable and the geometry cannot be dynamically changed as the wheel move in it's travel (it's more or less fixed). That is not my "opinion", those are hard cold facts. An IRS in the Boss would just be icing on the cake :rockon:

As stated, Ford has a built a winner of a car with the Boss and should be commended on the results. Some people tend to take personal offense with the suggestion that even if a car is great doesn't mean a "lesser car" can't become a "greater car" (that 73 Vega is in the rear view mirror and is closing :uh oh:). I think that is something everyone understands.

Meanwhile the Terminator stays in the garage while the chassis development continues and will look foreword to encountering a Boss 302 (even a modded one!) :poke:

I agree. IRS vs Solid axle (road course application not drag) is just a waste of time to argue. People that love to claim a solid axle is better just love to argue for the hell of it. Solid axle has been around since the Model T and is just not best for handling. Period.

Hell even Porshe finally went water cooled. LOL.

You're right about the factory. The more they make it better it leaves less room for improvement in the aftermarket.

You 2 haven't been on many Road Courses, have you?

The BOSS will walk the modded Terminator all day long. :sleeping:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member

I never said it wouldn't. I'm simply saying an IRS is better for handling which we all know anyway. I'm not comparing the SN95 chassis to the Boss. Put an IRS in that Boss and it would be even faster on the course than it already is.

SlowSVT

Established Member

So I guess that settles it!

:rollseyes

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch5Dx2ftTwg"]YouTube - 2000 cobra r chasing down a porsche carrera gt[/nomedia]

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Hard to believe anybody on the internet has even heard of "points" :lol1:

.............and how! Ever try gapping a dual point distributer? :cuss:

They adjust around the cam independent of one another for timing and the gap is critical for enough dwell to saturate the coil. Don't get it right and the car runs like crap!

A friend of mine replaced the points on his 2 stroke Suzuki motorcycle and just gapped them not bothering to time them. There was a huge hole in one of his pistons within 1/2 mile :nonono:

Single points much easier to live with. Gap it, DONE! They just didn't last as long. Points make it easy to diagnose ignition problems though.

I'm glad those things can only be found in the Smithsonian. CDI was a godsend :bowdown:

Avispa

Established Member
Points and Carbs are better than EFI.:burn::poke::bash:

There's a modern day Luddite on Corvette Forum that just loves his breaker points. Wouldn't even put in a Pertronix or Unilite module. I've you've every seen all the ignition shielding they used to put on those plastic cars to make AM radio usable, you'd understand this guy's a masochist.

boost_aholic97

Established Member
i personally like the boss, and i like the fact that it can perform right off the showroom floor, but if i owned a terminator and a boss, i think i would take the terminator out a little more often, but thats imo. :banana:

KILRSVT

Established Member
I never said it wouldn't. I'm simply saying an IRS is better for handling which we all know anyway. I'm not comparing the SN95 chassis to the Boss. Put an IRS in that Boss and it would be even faster on the course than it already is.

To be honest a solid axle car can get through a road course track pretty damn well our IRS is not the most well engineered one. IRS will do better at an auto cross and have a better ride. The rear end on that 302 is strapped on and is really well developed enough to get around the track faster than a e92 m3
if we wanted to do that it would require a ton of $$$ in the suspension department as well as chassis! However... We will always make more power for the money.

cobracide

Established Member
On the street, I don't think anyone can come close to unlocking the advantages of the Boss over a pullied Cobra. Not saying the Boss is not an awesome weapon. It is great car no doubt and the '70 Boss 302 today. It's just that the '03 Cobra is the Cobra Jet 428 of today! The Boss will kill a stock '03 in the twisties but not so much with a modded Cobra. I'd like to see that.

Last edited:

03COBRA-88

Established Member
On the street, I don't think anyone can come close to unlocking the advantages of the Boss over a pullied Cobra. Not saying the Boss is not an awesome weapon. It is great car no doubt and the '70 Boss 302 today. It's just that the '03 Cobra is the Cobra Jet 428 of today! The Boss will kill a stock '03 in the twisties but not so much with a modded Cobra. I'd like to see that.

+1 well put

Users who are viewing this thread