Ironhand Racing Now Carries J&S Safeguard Knock Control System

Ironhand

Banned
I'm proud to announce that Ironhand Racing now carries the J&S Electronics Safeguard Individual Cylinder Knock Control System.

J&S Electronics SafeGuard Indivdual Cylinder Knock Control

Controller.jpg

VampireKit.jpg

SafeGuard retards timing if knock is detected, protecting your engine from destructive detonation.
The control system retards only the knocking cylinders, maximizing power while protecting the engine.

The system also features boost retard and nitrous or switched retard.

The boost retard section includes Start and Rate controls, allowing you to tailor the retard curve to your needs.

Switched retard could be enabled by a nitrous switch or a manual toggle switch, in case you fill up with low octane fuel.

All With A Price Of $625 Shipped To Your Door.

Last edited:

da2k17

Established Member
How difficult is the install? where does the sensors get mounted?

tossed this idea around for a while... maybe one day soon ill actually get it....

Ironhand

Banned
How difficult is the install? where does the sensors get mounted?

tossed this idea around for a while... maybe one day soon ill actually get it....

VampireTap.jpg

Shown here are the connectors used to tap into the coil signals.
The connector body is a 3M 901 wire splice, which is clamped to the coil negative wire.

Note that a dab of silicone dielectric grease (included) has been applied to the splice, to prevent corrosion of the factory harness.

A bullet connector is then crimped to the J&S control wire, which plugs into the connector body.

8ChannelInstallDiagram.gif

It should only take a day to install and isn't too complicated for anyone to do.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I'd be all over this if I had all my other projects done already!

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
looks like an EV1 connector for the Knock sensor, if so a source for the pigtail is:

EV1 male pigtail - Ballenger Motorsports, Inc. $12 shipped

correction that is for a male connector above, but they should have female connectors as well which appear to be needed in the posted pic.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Thank you, looks similar to mach 1 or older cobra knock sensors, just different connector. I have some of those knock sensors and wonder if they would work instead of buying this one.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
I'm still a little currious as why Ford didnt have knock sensors on the 03/04 and yet had them on other 32v 4.6 nonsupercharged cobra/mach. a common thought I've seen posted on this topic, is that the noise of the supercharger causes difficulty with accuracy of knock sensor...

will an OEM cobra/mach knock sensor work with the J&S controller or is what J&S carries is needed?

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

I'm still a little currious as why Ford didnt have knock sensors on the 03/04 and yet had them on other 32v 4.6 nonsupercharged cobra/mach. a common thought I've seen posted on this topic, is that the noise of the supercharger causes difficulty with accuracy of knock sensor...

will an OEM cobra/mach knock sensor work with the J&S controller or is what J&S carries is needed?

And why I wonder if using a stock sensor from the other years would work with the setup and the middle of the block location posted in the other thread.

gamebred26

Established Member
How will this system differentiate between real knock and false knock created by blower and valve train noise…piston slap etc?

John at J&S

Established Member
The unit is calibrated to work with a "donut style" sensor, as shown above.

There are several brands, electrically they are all similar.

Sensor location is not that critical. We were running out of daylight when Stew and I did the beta install on his HD, so we didn't take the time to track down the wiring to the (unused) factory sensor. I brought a Bosch sensor with me, so we looked for a spot to mount it. There just happened to be an 8mm stud sticking out of the driver's side cylinder head, so we took a chance on that. It worked great, then two weeks later Stew connected to the centrally located factory sensor. The results were identical.

Picasa Web Albums - John - J&S Vampire I...

Blower and valve train noise are not a problem, but piston slap can be, if you are running loose fitting forged pistons. I like to see no more than 0.006 clearance.

Decel or light loads can also cause piston slap, even with stock pistons, so the unit ignores the sensor if it senses more than five inches of vacuum.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Simply amazing!

And what an incredible price!

IRONHAND you just completely rearranged my priorities! :rockon:

I have been wanting one of these for about 4 years now!

I will be contacting you shortly.:thumbsup::beer:

Ironhand

Banned
Simply amazing!

And what an incredible price!

IRONHAND you just completely rearranged my priorities! :rockon:

I have been wanting one of these for about 4 years now!

I will be contacting you shortly.:thumbsup::beer:

Thanks Jimmy.

You're not the only one. Ill be putting one of these in my car in the future as well.

Scotty B

Established Member
How does the system know which cylinder is knocking? Does it compare the ignition signal to the time of the detected knock?

Users who are viewing this thread