Ironhand Racing Now Carries J&S Safeguard Knock Control System

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
How does the system know which cylinder is knocking? Does it compare the ignition signal to the time of the detected knock?

It knows which cylinder just fired and which cylinder is going to fire next.

If it detects detonation in a cylinder it knows which cylinder it was, and is able to retard spark in only that cylinder the very next time it fires.

This thing is cutting edge and stone reliable.

Scotty B

Established Member
It knows which cylinder just fired and which cylinder is going to fire next.

If it detects detonation in a cylinder it knows which cylinder it was, and is able to retard spark in only that cylinder the very next time it fires.

This thing is cutting edge and stone reliable.

That is ultra cool. putting this on my must have list :)

John at J&S

Established Member
For '96-'98 with coil packs order the four channel version. Note that an eight channel version would also work, just use four of the channels.

The two coil packs each have a three pin connector. The center pin on each is 12v, the other two are the coil signals.

Connect the four Vampire wires to the four coil signals.

John at J&S

Established Member
MSD 8964 "Knock Alert" MSRP $272.60 Warning buzzer and LED bargraph show the severity of knock.

MSD 86252 "Timing Twister" MSRP $389.90. Boost Retard and Nitrous retard. Discontinued.

The 8964 Knock Alert is an analog design from the '80's. Does not control timing and cannot show which cylinders are knocking. Works ok on quiet engines. I reverse engineered this nearly twenty years ago. The detection circuit does not employ a knock window for noise reduction.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
MSD 8964 "Knock Alert" MSRP $272.60 Warning buzzer and LED bargraph show the severity of knock.

MSD 86252 "Timing Twister" MSRP $389.90. Boost Retard and Nitrous retard. Discontinued.

The 8964 Knock Alert is an analog design from the '80's. Does not control timing and cannot show which cylinders are knocking. Works ok on quiet engines. I reverse engineered this nearly twenty years ago. The detection circuit does not employ a knock window for noise reduction.

So what's the difference between this paired with the msd? Adjustable Timing Control - 8680

If its not as good as your system then I would like to buy yours. Do you sell them for big block fords?

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
I'm still a little currious as why Ford didnt have knock sensors on the 03/04 and yet had them on other 32v 4.6 nonsupercharged cobra/mach. a common thought I've seen posted on this topic, is that the noise of the supercharger causes difficulty with accuracy of knock sensor...

will an OEM cobra/mach knock sensor work with the J&S controller or is what J&S carries is needed?

I often wonder the same thing... why didn't they come up with some sort of a knock sensor (KS) on such an expensive motor??? One reasonable answer has already been stated...the noise of this particular motor. I think that and the rush to get these cars delivered might have allowed the time for additional R&D. I know that all my 86-87 Buick Grand Nationals had KS that worked well, and probably saved my motors more times than I care to think about. If we ran too steep of a cam profile which caused more motor (valve train) noise than "normal", the KS would go off just cruising down the road. One trick was to loosen in up some to reduce the number of threads that actually made contact in the block. The opposite was true if you wanted it more sensative. The sensor was an old school Bosch sensor that was tightened to just 14 lb-ft. If this new J&S unit works as advertised, it's then worth it's weight in gold IMO!:beer:

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
The instructions show it's for distributor ignition.

Does your big block have a distributor? I make one for that.

Its not finished yet. But I plan on swapping out my 4.6 4V for my 565 BBF over the winter. Do you sell a kit that's meant for my 4V that will adapt to a BBF? It will be fuel injected and I'm not sure if I want a distributor or not.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Bump for a fantastic product. I just picked up three of them a few weeks ago :)

IMAG1491_resized.jpg

IMAG1492_resized.jpg

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
For '96-'98 with coil packs order the four channel version. Note that an eight channel version would also work, just use four of the channels.

The two coil packs each have a three pin connector. The center pin on each is 12v, the other two are the coil signals.

Connect the four Vampire wires to the four coil signals.

So how much will the setup for my car cost then? thanks for your response

Users who are viewing this thread