Off topic threads

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Doc:

I will agree that the Porsche guys are a pretty loyal lot. I'm not sure I can tell you what it is but they love their cars. They handle great. There is No Doubt! They have a history much longer than many other cars.

I guess I'm just a sucker for good old fashioned V-8 horsepower. :shrug:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Doc:
I'm with you. I do have a soft spot for my Ford's but I will drive anything that I can get my greasy paws on.
I am just starting the long process of building a Mustang but that has a lot more to do with the idea that I don't care for Camaro's and I can't afford any of those "fast" cars (Corvettes, Porsches, etc.) Plus I find it more fun to pass a Porsche with a Ford than to pass a Ford with a Porsche, especially when its a farm truck ;)

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
ac427cobra said:
I will agree that the Porsche guys are a pretty loyal lot. I'm not sure I can tell you what it is but they love their cars.

I don't have a clue as to the "Porsche Mystic". But I am going to do more research on this subject. I bought the 1973 Porsche 911. :-D

It will be an interesting study. Porsche has won 28,000 major races in their history (according to Porsche and their recent advertisements). I guess they have something going on here. :shrug:

I talked to the original builder of the car. I found his name on a few of the receipts that were included in the package of the car FS. I called his office and told the nice receptionist that he didn't know me, but I was calling about the blue '73 P-car. He immediately got on the line and talked to me for an hour (who doesn't like to talk about his [former or current] car?).

He bought a tub of a former race car in FL and then bought a 2.7L engine from another guy in FL. He brought in back to the mid-eastern U.S. and poured a lot of time (and money, of course) into the car (anyone else around here decided it would be a good idea to spend a lot of money on a car that didn't make for a good family-hauler? :-D ).

I drove the car for many miles in the south Georgia open roads well before the purchase. At 2380 pounds, it was an impressive ride. You don't lift; you tap the brakes and then power through a corner.

I have no idea whether I'll be a P-car enthusiast or a regretful owner. I only know that one day I'll just be dead (a well as everyone).

It is a fake (or replica, whatever you'd like to call it). A real 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS (they only made 1560 but much less than the Cobra-R run) goes for $200,000+. That is Moderator territory ;-) so I bought a fake.

It's Gemini blue (original to this car). He put a big oil cooler in the front (10 quarts of Mobil 1 :shrug: ). You can see the oil lines running back to the engine (although it took me a long time to even find the engine-- the put it in the trunk :shrug: ).
73RS.jpg

The seats are NOS Corbeau low back seats (complete with a rollbar and 5-point harness--- who needs a car that you can't race?). It also has a Prototipo steering wheel:
73RSd.jpg

The engine is a completely rebuilt 2.7L thing that was original to the real "Moderator" cars. It has receipts for PMO carbs ($2400 for just the carbs :eek: ):
73RSe.gif

The original Carrera RS had a few weight-saving options (who needs extra weight on a race car?). The door panels have no handles because that would add a couple of extra pounds. You pull the strap to open the door:
73RSg.jpg

The original owner's picture in a car show just after he finished it:
73RSj.jpg

It's not a fiberglass receation. It has the NOS steel fenders and tail (ducktail)
73RSk.jpg

Can a Cobra-R owner race a Porsche in the Cobra-R race? :read:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I forgot. I guess I am interested in a Porsche because I race with so many P-car owners.

The HSR group just got back from Autobahn CC. Here are the results of our recent race (I wasn't there):
http://www.hsrrace.com/HSR/HSRHome.nsf/attachmentweb/EJEN-6XUMMY/$file/Rolex_Classic_GT_Historic_Enduro.pdf?OpenElement

Can anyone do a 2:37-2:40 on Autobahn's long course (except the Moderators)? An old Mustang could only manage a 2:49. :shrug:

A 1974 Porsche RSR (2nd place; LeMans):
RSR.gif

Of course, A Moderator would be racing a nice 1995 TA Mustang. They run a swift 2:29 :D :
95TA.jpg

But them there Moderators get big money from doing their job around here.

Saleenrose

Established Member
one problem with P-Cars is the cost, Last Open Track I attended started with 13 cars on a 2.5 mile track, at the end of a very exciting day we went home with only 12 cars. The one left on the track was what I would call a very expensive mistake, Take one 04 GT2 and 120-130 MPH and a 8 foot bank and you get a fire, tumbling, and very concerned racers. We should have had marshmellows as it was a hell of a fire. No need in getting a wrecker to save that shell so we left it there. I think the Rear engine added to his loose track action and once it started to go he was in for the ride of his life. The car cleared approx 120 yards before touchdown and landed nose first, ooch. that little experience, he was uninjured except a scrape exiting car and some stiffness, cost him around $300,000. Gray market GT2 with several upgrades, I felt bad I could not even come keep up on straights, about 500hp in a 911. At least in a Mustang, Corvette, ect cars at open tracks we are not pushing that much money around.

drkhrse

Established Member
Saleenrose said:
one problem with P-Cars is the cost, Last Open Track I attended started with 13 cars on a 2.5 mile track, at the end of a very exciting day we went home with only 12 cars. The one left on the track was what I would call a very expensive mistake, Take one 04 GT2 and 120-130 MPH and a 8 foot bank and you get a fire, tumbling, and very concerned racers. We should have had marshmellows as it was a hell of a fire. No need in getting a wrecker to save that shell so we left it there. I think the Rear engine added to his loose track action and once it started to go he was in for the ride of his life. The car cleared approx 120 yards before touchdown and landed nose first, ooch. that little experience, he was uninjured except a scrape exiting car and some stiffness, cost him around $300,000. Gray market GT2 with several upgrades, I felt bad I could not even come keep up on straights, about 500hp in a 911. At least in a Mustang, Corvette, ect cars at open tracks we are not pushing that much money around.

Besides you have backups!!

If i could afford a $300K car i'd have somethig elas at home as well. What did his insurance man say?? :burn:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
1993R said:
You are going to need a barn soon to store all of your toys....
I was just going to call you. I figure that you could loan me a little room in your garage to store one of the cars?

1993R said:
No worries.....Doc is loaded!!!
Yea, I am loaded with BS. :D

Some guys like a couple of expensive cars. I just prefer a bunch of cheap cars. I could sell all of my junk and still wouldn't have enough money to buy one of your trucks.

Saleenrose said:
Take one 04 GT2
Larry or Bruce could probably afford one of those GT2s.

GT2a.gif

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Doc:

The chances of you getting me in a P-car are lot better than a C-car! ;-)

Not to actually own you understand, but at least to drive. :poke:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Happiness is......

FIVE RULES FOR MEN TO FOLLOW TO A HAPPY LIFE:
  • 1. It's important to have a woman, who helps at home, who cooks from time to time, cleans up and has a job.
  • 2. It's important to have a woman, who can make you laugh.
  • 3. It's important to have a woman, who you can trust and who doesn't lie to you.
  • 4. It's important to have a woman, who is good in bed and who likes to be with you.
  • 5. It's very, very important that these four women do not know each other.

Saleenrose

Established Member
Having those four women would ruin my car collection, Id be driving a pinto, a 2.0 pinto. By the way, the porshe guy had some lambo in his garage at home, was most concerned about wife, I told him to just pick up a new car on the way home in a new color.

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
My spys have again been nosing around Bruce's shop.

It seems that Bruce decide to buy one of the new Chrysler 2-door coupes. He decided it would be an excellent "Corvette-killer" car (he wouldn't even have to unload the 00R):
Bruce54.gif

It has also been reported that Bruce caused a massive traffic jam in Chicago:
Bruce53.jpg

How? You may ask? Bruce decided to hire another secretary to replace one that just retired. Bruce had to go to an important financial meeting (Goldman Sachs, Bear Sterns, and all were there). He had his new secretary drive him up in her convertible. Here is a picture from her personnal file:

Alicia.gif

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I finally had my race car repainted from three shades of blue to 2007 Mustang torch red (peer pressure).

I just returned from SVRA-Road Atlanta where the car looked good but ran poorly (versus running well and looking bad). :shrug:

The 1965 Mustang FIA AS car:
65redb.gif

65redd.gif

65reda.gif

Next race: The Fours Hours at Sebring.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I thought you sold it and were doing the arrive&drive thing
I thought I had a deal to trade the car for a Sunbeam Tiger. The trade deal fell through so I towed the car to the paint shop (paint was 10 years old and three shades of blue due to some partial repaints due to track incidents :uh oh: ).

So, the guy called me after having the car for almost three months (paint guys are slow....). He wanted the blue color code. I kept looking through blue colors and decided that there were too many white/blue and blue/white Mustang vintage race cars. After a couple of glasses of wine, I went out to the garage and got the paint code off my 2007 Mustang. 2007 Ford torch red!

I am still doing my co-drive thing, and we added a 1999 Panoz for next year. It ended up being more of a "sharing of expenses and towing" than an "arrive and drive". I actually drove his car more this year than my car (some events I drove both cars). 2007 was a great year for me for track time.

The car's looking good Doc! Can't go wrong with red!

Doc, why'd the car run bad? What's wrong with it?
Thanks. I am very pleased with the job he did. Of course, he came in over budget and several weeks late, but what else is new with a painter? :-D

The car would go like heck until 5000 rpms and then just go flat (no skipping, just go flat). Problems like that are aggravating because you can't recreate it in the paddock. I checked the electrical, changed chips in the MSD, changed carbs, changed fuel filters, plugs...nothing. I finally switched over to the second fuel pump (it has two electric pumps), and that seemed to cure it. I guess pump #1 was going bad. :shrug:

I am hiring a mechanic (a real one, not a shade tree like myself) to go to Sebring with me so I'll have some help. When you drive two cars each event, it takes away from paddock time for working on your car.

BTW, we paid $8.50.9 per gallon for 112 racing gas last weekend! :eek: My car gets 5 mpg so at Road Atlanta thats $8.50 every two laps for gas. :rollseyes

Here is a picture of the 302 c.i. engine (I'm the only one that doesn't cheat :) ).
redengine.jpg

A friend from Florida just bought this 1970 Boss 302. It is a very cool car. It was driven on the street for 6 months until the owner decided to go SCCA racing. He didn't start at the bottom as he went straight to Trans-Am. The car won a T/A race in the U.S. and then won several T/A races in Canada. The car came with all of the paperwork and was awarded a SVRA medallion (total proof of period racing history).

The car has aluminum bumpers, the stock Hurst shifter w/ T-bar grip, Detroit Locker, the original Boss 302 engine, and Lexan windows. We started measuring the wheelbase after realizing that it didn't look exactly right. He had moved the front spindles up and increased the wheelbase. Great car!

David70.gif

David70a.gif

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I am sorry if I dispersed Gene. I just received confirmation that Gene was not playing shuffleboard (or bingo). He has been plenty busy riding around in his yatch in south FL. I have a picture (he has no real winter season): :D

Bruce55.jpg

I just wish he could get his racing crew to buy a bikini that would actually fit the dimensions of their "full figures". :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread