Off topic threads

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Some days lady luck just bites you.

A friend sold this race car after purchasing his blue GT350. The new owner took it to a restoration shop and the car was rebuilt. He decided to take the car out on the road for just a short test drive. He belted up (thank goodness) and drove down the road on a new set of racing rubber (never scuffed) and cold racing brake pads.

He soon found the biggest oak tree in the county. The whole front cowl is bent beyond repair. Some suggest that the frame is bent back to the leaf spring mounts.

Some days you are the bug that hits the windshield.

CO.gif

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Some days lady luck just bites you.

A friend sold this race car after purchasing his blue GT350. The new owner took it to a restoration shop and the car was rebuilt. He decided to take the car out on the road for just a short test drive. He belted up (thank goodness) and drove down the road on a new set of racing rubber (never scuffed) and cold racing brake pads.

He soon found the biggest oak tree in the county. The whole front cowl is bent beyond repair. Some suggest that the frame is bent back to the leaf spring mounts.

Some days you are the bug that hits the windshield.

CO.gif

ouch.....what was he thinking???? and some people are afraid to take their car to the track because they think its dangerous....but yes, its possible the unibody is tweaked all the way back....fixable? of course....but for alot of $$$$$$$

Saleenrose

Established Member
"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough" - Parnelli Jones

Looks like he was going fast enough.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Mustang racers are nuts.

This guy is taking a perfectly good Mustang to Mexico and race the La Carrera Panamerica.
Each year, one hundred vintage cars line up in Southern Mexico to race nearly 2000 miles north to the border with Texas. The Pan Am passes though the heart of the Country, a glorious string of mountains and quaint colonial cities. The road is cleared by 20 Mexican Highway Patrol, who travel with the race. Along the way you are cheered to go faster by thousands of spectators.

http://www.panamrace.com/

Here is his race car at VIR:
Jeff2.jpg

Yes, it is a quick car. If only two tires are touching the racing service, you are using the best grip to go very fast.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
but yes, its possible the unibody is tweaked all the way back....fixable? of course....but for alot of $$$$$$$
It's unclear but I think it may be cheaper to just buy a new body/frame and transfer the racing parts to it. This isn't a car that needs to be saved (Shelby, of even a K-code). It's just an old race car with no period history.

The unibody is severely damaged. I may fix a street car, but I wonder if a race car would ever track correctly after such a hit? It folded the cowl:

CO4.gif

I was at another shop recently, and they were welding in a fastback top on a coupe body. The guy has Shelby plates from a long ago totaled Shelby. So, the only thing "Shelby" on the car will be the serial numbers; the rest of the car will be a coupe with a fastback top welded to it. Go figure.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
It's unclear but I think it may be cheaper to just buy a new body/frame and transfer the racing parts to it. This isn't a car that needs to be saved (Shelby, of even a K-code). It's just an old race car with no period history.

The unibody is severely damaged. I may fix a street car, but I wonder if a race car would ever track correctly after such a hit? It folded the cowl:

I was at another shop recently, and they were welding in a fastback top on a coupe body. The guy has Shelby plates from a long ago totaled Shelby. So, the only thing "Shelby" on the car will be the serial numbers; the rest of the car will be a coupe with a fastback top welded to it. Go figure.

not a shelby or k-code, scrap it....much too costly to straighten that mess out....

regarding mating the bodies.....there are ALOT more out there like this....I'm all for saving/rebuilding/restoring....but when two cars show up with the same VIN because someone owns the old shell and someone else re-created a car, which one is the real one? :fm:

on a different subject, has anyone seen the dynacorn mustang bodies yet?

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
hi mark! nothing specific, I just spotted an ad, and saw they were doing the 67-8 mustang bodies in addition to their chevy bodies....

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
...but when two cars show up with the same VIN because someone owns the old shell and someone else re-created a car, which one is the real one? :fm:
I'd guess it is the car with the original frame (with the actual serial number on it). The frame actually went down the Shelby assembly line.

The frame of the car I mentioned has never been recovered (so far), so it could actually be added to the Shelby registry (I guess?).

has anyone seen the dynacorn mustang bodies yet?
I've read about them:
http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/ford_models.html

I personally don't get it.

You can buy a nice original 1967-1968 GT FB for $28-$32K (113,367 produced). You couldn't possibly build a Dynacord car for that (the body shell is $16K). And it would still be a fakey-doo (to steal Keith Martin's phrase). The recent auction results have not be kind to muscle tribute and clone cars (i.g., Yenko, Baldwin, Hemi, Shelby).

And please don't think I have anything against fakey-doo's. I own one. :-D

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member

Don't know how much is too much but I have been told that with today's sophisticated laser alignment racks and frame straighteners, some shops are actually able to get better alignment than they came from the factory. I think I would be more concerned with how much weaker the structure would be in the event of another crash if they were able to fix something such as that. (You can only bend a paper clip so much before it breaks completely)

My $0.02:thumbsup:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
hi mark! nothing specific, I just spotted an ad, and saw they were doing the 67-8 mustang bodies in addition to their chevy bodies....

The concept is good but don't be fooled into thinking you can just buy a body and slap a bunch of parts on it. There were many, MANY hours spent "finessing" the two bodies I had access to before they were deemed "acceptable".

In reality the place for the dynocorn bodies is the restomod crowd where you can easily spend $50k-$100k+ on a car. In theory it would be nice to start with a strong clean body vs. a 40 year old unknown hulk. Additionally there are a few options coming on the Dynocorn cars which will definitely give them an advantage over using an existing body.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
The car I am co-driving in the 3-hour enduro is finally finished. The car is painted and graphics have been added, the Jerico is newly rebuilt, and the engine has received a complete rebuild with a little bump in HP.

Dickf.gif

His Panoz is back from the paint shop. We ripped out the FI and installed a carburetor.

Dickc.gif

My car got a new set of spark plugs. I hope it starts.

Saleenrose

Established Member
Ripped Off Fuel Injection??? Where are you from? No Elevation there, No color TV, Just getting indoor plumbing? Y.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Ripped Off Fuel Injection??? Where are you from? No Elevation there, No color TV, Just getting indoor plumbing? Y.
I'm from Atlanta. We plan to get indoor plumbing in 2010. :-D

We are racing these cars in vintage with 1965/1966 Mustangs. The Mustangs all have carburetors, so we have all of the spare parts (including the complete carb) already in the trailer. It just makes everything more simple. We aren't worried about gas mileage or cold-weather starting.

We actually did a dyno test. The carb-engine had 20 more HP and 30 more Lbs. of torque in the mid-range (where you need it when you race).

We don't have horns either. But we do have other means of communication when someone cuts us off in traffic. :rollseyes
Dicke.gif

That's a 1970 Boss 302 rally car in the background.

Dicka.gif

And another few Mustangs in the background. I think there are 22 in this garage (including seven Shelbys). And 8 Panoz cars.

Users who are viewing this thread