~04sleeper's Official Guide To Polishing Your Exhaust~

04silvervenom

Established Member
Thanks for the write up very helpful but my question is how long can we expect to keep that shine under the car and when the exhaust gets hot ? My car is a weekend toy that doesnt see any rain.

sn95leen

Established Member
Nice write up man.

What would the drawbacks be of just getting the pipes chrome plated? I think it would reduce the work time and probably keep the shine a little longer as well.

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
Great write up and thank you! Needs to be a sticky somewhere.

You're cleaning threads and polished exhaust threads are inspiring!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
you should start a business lol
LOL... I have been told that before.

How long did it take you your very first time? And how much shine can you get from say a Bassani BX catback? Ever done any non-SS?
The first time itt took just about the same amount of time. I have never done a non-stainless sytem. I'm sure it could work OK but I don't think it will come out as good.

excellent write up man!!
:beer:

Awesome job, this should be a sticky.
Thanks. Maybe someone will make it one.

great write up! your work is beyond perfect!

Makes me want another Cobra just to do that... :)

I need to get some SS pipes from the muffler back just so I can polish them up. Thanks for the write-up. :beer:

Great finished job and a nice write up.

will this work on a magnaflow catback
Yes, a Magnaflow should be thesame as long as it's stainless.

Thanks for the write up very helpful but my question is how long can we expect to keep that shine under the car and when the exhaust gets hot ? My car is a weekend toy that doesnt see any rain.
I have had mine like this for a few years now and it still looks just as good as when I first did it.

Nice write up man.
What would the drawbacks be of just getting the pipes chrome plated? I think it would reduce the work time and probably keep the shine a little longer as well.
Chrome might flake off if it is not done correctly and it would cost a lot of money. I suppose it could be done. :shrug:

Great write up and thank you! Needs to be a sticky somewhere.
You're cleaning threads and polished exhaust threads are inspiring!

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Great thread.
Thanks. :beer:

SSSSIKH

I ♥ BOOST
Established Member
great write up kevin...could have used it when i did mine!

mine took me about 6 hours from start to finish, and it came out just like that! :coolman:

Postal Pimp

torque is my heroin....
Established Member
nice write up!!! one question though, does it matter what direction you sand? did you go with the pipe or around with your hand?

Last edited:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Dang it Kevin! I gave up on this when we had the cobra gutted for the motor, fuel system, irs, full exhaust, front suspension build. Now its just sitting in the garage while I drive my new to me 94 lightning. I guess I will just have to yank the magnaflow pipes and start working on them when I have spare time. I need to get up under there to adjust one that started sagging after the kooks setup went through some heat cycles anyway so off they come!

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I'm glad to see you documented this Kevin. It's a lot of hard work, but looks great and worth the effort.

Hookem

Established Member
WOW!....looking awesome Kevin!....can't wait to see them on my car. Oh, and I ordered some of that Adams metal polish.:rockon:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Wow, great job!

great write up kevin...could have used it when i did mine!
mine took me about 6 hours from start to finish, and it came out just like that! :coolman:
:thumbsup: :beer:

Great write up bro! Will definitely be useful for those who haven't done it yet.

Thanks. :beer:

nice write up!!! one question though, does it matter what direction you sand? did you go with the pipe or around with your hand?
I went "With" the pipe. The metal naturally has lines in it and is made that way.

Dang it Kevin! I gave up on this when we had the cobra gutted for the motor, fuel system, irs, full exhaust, front suspension build. Now its just sitting in the garage while I drive my new to me 94 lightning. I guess I will just have to yank the magnaflow pipes and start working on them when I have spare time. I need to get up under there to adjust one that started sagging after the kooks setup went through some heat cycles anyway so off they come!
Yeah, I know what you mean Brandon. 1 poject at a time. Now's a good time to get it done.

Nice write up!

I'm glad to see you documented this Kevin. It's a lot of hard work, but looks great and worth the effort.
Thanks Shawn. :beer: This would look great on your car as well with those new wheels. :thumbsup:

WOW!....looking awesome Kevin!....can't wait to see them on my car. Oh, and I ordered some of that Adams metal polish.:rockon:
Sounds good Lonnie. I only have 1 pipe done so far but I will try to have the other one done by next weekend. They are going to look great on your car! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread