'13/14 Crate engine. Not something you see everyday.

5.8L Shelby GT500 Crate Engine

How can you order a 5.8L Crate engine as such for a 2014 Shelby GT500.
I have a 2914 & may be interested in one for my unit.
Will SVT do a matching number from my 2014 Vin,number to match up with the SVT Crate Engine 5.8L to match my 2014 Shelby GT500.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fordfourlife

Established Member
That has to be one of the best looking OEM engines ever made! That is a hefty price tag for a engine though.

HighVelocity

Established Member
I hope the guy is smart enough to pull the plugs every year and fog (oil) the upper cylinder walls....then rotate the crank by hand a few revolutions.

I would be worried about cylinder wall rust and frozen rings.

If he spends a little time annually to do this, those engines are likely to be in great usable condition
Naturally, I am sure after many years in storage, pulling the valve covers to relube the valve train would be advisable.
Some of the old oils that gum up could pose a problem.

I certainly don't blame him for have those engines in reserve....but something tells me he isn't going to be the one enjoying or profiting from them....my guess is the widow's boyfriend will...LOL

Last edited:

Kel

Established Member
Wonder what it would've cost (and the value now) of an NOS 428 CJ, Boss 429, etc big block relative to the price of a car from 69-70 and if anyone had the foresight to do so back then? Pretty cool!

NickSezz

Established Member
Smart move if you have the coin. These will one day be next to impossible to come by and I don't think that time is too far away either.

Replacing your factory connecting rods with our custom rods that fit the stock pistons is your next best option to add some insurance to any modified 13-14 Shelby.

It will be A LOT cheaper than having to build a new motor.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Thanks Sam. The shot of the balancer washer helps.:)

And the production date for that engine....interesting. Assuming that Ford moves the oldest inventory first and in the context of the 2014 MY production in 2013, I have a strong sense that Ford doesn't sell too many of these assemblies.:-D

I would guess they don't either.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to put that one in and save the original for a later (40 years) date...or do matching numbers not matter on these cars?

There are no numbers to match on these. They not stamped anywhere. I would think, if you're planning on keeping your car for 40 years, just take care of it. It'll last, and I think there would be more value in knowing the original engine has never been out for any reason.

How the heck do you replace those heater hoses in the back of the block if they ever leak? Huge job if the car is out of warranty!
Once you remove the lower intake, they're accessible. You could also access them by removing the transmission. Both jobs aren't fun though.

How can you order a 5.8L Crate engine as such for a 2014 Shelby GT500.
I have a 2914 & may be interested in one for my unit.
Will SVT do a matching number from my 2014 Vin,number to match up with the SVT Crate Engine 5.8L to match my 2014 Shelby GT500.

You can't. The '13 and '14 engine is exactly the same. Same part number. So it doesn't matter what year you order it for, you're going to get whatever they have sitting there. And, the VIN's aren't stamped on these motors, so there's nothing for them to match. With that said, if you really wanted to order one, you could probably climb the chain of command with a Ford Rep or two, and have them arrange to pull you one that is a newer build, closer to your original engine build date, and with the same two Niche line builders on the plaque. But, that would take some serious strings being pulled.

I would like to see some of the engine build dates on your engines (guys in this forum). More specifically, the '14's. I would like to see how far apart the engine build date is compared with the vehicle build date.

I hope the guy is smart enough to pull the plugs every year and fog (oil) the upper cylinder walls....then rotate the crank by hand a few revolutions.

I would be worried about cylinder wall rust and frozen rings.

If he spends a little time annually to do this, those engines are likely to be in great usable condition
Naturally, I am sure after many years in storage, pulling the valve covers to relube the valve train would be advisable.
Some of the old oils that gum up could pose a problem.

I certainly don't blame him for have those engines in reserve....but something tells me he isn't going to be the one enjoying or profiting from them....my guess is the widow's boyfriend will...LOL

Keep in mind, this isn't the first time he's done this. Having multiple high dollar cars, he's likely very aware of how to take care of these engines. Whether he does it as an investment, to simply have a spare, or because he's a collector, he seems to enjoy it. That's probably all that matters to him.

Also, I would bet 15-20 years from now or more, without being touched once, but stored properly, this engine and its original oil would be in near 100% condition. Full synthetic oil that's never been run, isn't going to gum up. Before startup, a simple device to pump oil through the system would definitely be a good idea. In 20 years I'll bet they'll have something that makes that pretty easy. Probably some nanobots or something that will climb all through the engine and make sure everything is tip top.

Wonder what it would've cost (and the value now) of an NOS 428 CJ, Boss 429, etc big block relative to the price of a car from 69-70 and if anyone had the foresight to do so back then? Pretty cool!

Well, a new '67 GT500 was what, $5500 back then? It's worth probably 25 times that now, at least. His new 427 crate motor cost him about $1000 then, and is worth about 25 times that now too. Some of that is inflation. But it's hard to imagine a 2014 GT500 being worth $1.6M, and this crate motor worth $650k in 40 years. Too many variables there, but if history repeats itself, maybe? Seems very unlikely, but in 1967 if we were having this same discussion, it would probably seem very unlikely then too that a car would be worth 25 times what you paid new for it.

Smart move if you have the coin. These will one day be next to impossible to come by and I don't think that time is too far away either.

I agree. I would have a crate motor from every year all lined up.

Last edited:

jtfx6552

Established Member
I wonder how Ford prices those, well all of their over the counter parts. Is it based at all on their costs, or do they raise prices on desirable engines so that they don't have people ordering them over the counter for various projects? Hard to believe this engine could cost Ford that much more than a Coyote which can be had from FRPP for what 8K?

Looking at the estimate for the repair of my 13, some parts prices really jumped out at me, headlights are listed at almost 1K each on that, hood $1500.

Fordfourlife

Established Member
The TVS can actually be had for less then $2800,there is a big markup on this engine.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
there is a big markup on this engine.

Not necessarily. I mean, yes there's markup. Ford isn't in the business to give parts away. But look at all the individual components involved, plus you've got to consider labor. Two people put it all together. Sure all Ford parts are marked up, but Ford pricing has nothing to do with it being unique or rare, or anything other than cost to produce. The engine harness on this 5.8L is $100. For the same harness on an '04 Ford Focus it's $650. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

So let's break this down into parts. And these aren't retail prices, this is "Employee" cost roughly. I rounded up or down on these, so it should be pretty accurate:

Block $3800
Heads $2600 x2
TVS/elbow/tbody $2400
Intercooler $800
intercooler outlet $250
Lower intake $900
Lower intake bottom $350
Crank $300
Piston/rod/rings assembly $1400
Bearings $300
Timing cover $400
Valve covers $400
Exhaust manifolds/gaskets $600
Flywheel/clutch $600
Injectors/rail $250
Camshafts $600
Timing components $400
Pulleys/belts $400
Engine harness $100
Water pump $300
Coolant hoses $100
PCV lines $50
Alternator $300
A/C compressor $500
Oil cooler assembly $800
Coil covers $150
Coils $200
Gaskets/seals $300
Hardware $200
Oil pan/pump/pickup $250
EGR valve/tube $150
Sensors $300

That's about $23,050 if my math is correct. Plus labor, plus whatever else I missed, or was off on pricing. Not a lot left in it. What does a shop charge to professionally assemble a motor to this level/quality?

Last edited:

NickSezz

Established Member
About $1,200 to assemble/balance short block and another 2 days ($1,800) to assemble the rest and time/prime motor. I would estimate the labor total at about $3,000 and boom you get your $26K...

Breitling

Established Member
2 things:

1) I can't believe the crank is only $300 - seems on the low end to me?
2) If you're putting this kind of money into an awesome engine such as this one, why skimp on the connecting rods? Should have spent a few hundred extra and put some quality H-beams in it. Frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread