1989 Texas Highway Patrol SSP Mustang

flattrack53

Established Member
That's pretty cool. Im going today to pick up a SSP coupe but its not anything like this one

I know of a really clean one forsale. Its a brown unmarked PA car with I believe 90k miles. I think he wants $8500? Only reason I didnt buy it....AUTOMATIC

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Lol. I would of let the dog die and keep the car. On a serious note, the door still says "texas department of public safety" and then in the middle I put a piece of electrical tape over the Highway Patrol and all of the lights I made custome covers and im waiting on a cover for the radar and radio.

An R, and now a cop car. Awesome. :lol1:

There are several SSP cars at the Knott's Ford show in Calif every year. They all do exactly what you said as far as covering up the CHP or FHP emblems when on the street. I don't remember them saying anything about disconnecting the lights though. I think as long as you don't do anything dumb in the car (lights, siren, etc) on the street you will be fine.

CLEAN CAR! :rockon:

flattrack53

Established Member
An R, and now a cop car. Awesome. :lol1:

There are several SSP cars at the Knott's Ford show in Calif every year. They all do exactly what you said as far as covering up the CHP or FHP emblems when on the street. I don't remember them saying anything about disconnecting the lights though. I think as long as you don't do anything dumb in the car (lights, siren, etc) on the street you will be fine.

CLEAN CAR! :rockon:

Wait a minute Brian, you know I have to test everything out atleast once. Radar/lights/sirens all work perfect but the radio is out dated. :beer: This is a great car to have when your neighbors have loud parties with under age drinking. It really is an enjoyment watching kids scattering across a field. :lol:
BTW. Just finished detailing the R and getting her ready for spring!

blacknlte

Established Member
I know in Texas you can drive it around will all the stuff on it as long as you have a "not in service" on the car. Check with the local and state to make sure in your area.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
As a Texas Highway Patrolman its been a long time since I've seen one in that good of shape. I didn't drive one but I rode in several before becoming a Trooper.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Wait a minute Brian, you know I have to test everything out atleast once. Radar/lights/sirens all work perfect but the radio is out dated. :beer: This is a great car to have when your neighbors have loud parties with under age drinking. It really is an enjoyment watching kids scattering across a field. :lol:
BTW. Just finished detailing the R and getting her ready for spring!

OK.... how about "as long as you don't get caught doing anything dumb with the car..."

Better?

HA HA! :lol1:

RedFord96

Established Member
What a find. Awesome car! I wouldn't mind driving one of those to keep people off my ass. :rolling:

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
Very nice, Would love to see how one would do against my geared/bolt on/tuned 03P71.

Congrats on the purchase!

28HopUp

Established Member
That's a very clean SSP. Congrats on the purchase at the end of 2010. I'm not too far away from you, so I'd love to get our SSP's together. There is a Cops & Rodders Show in May that I can get you more details about. The show is in Pennsylvania, but not too far away.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions about SSP's. I'm not an expert, but I know whom to ask if a question goes over my head. :coolman:

flattrack53

Established Member
That's a very clean SSP. Congrats on the purchase at the end of 2010. I'm not too far away from you, so I'd love to get our SSP's together. There is a Cops & Rodders Show in May that I can get you more details about. The show is in Pennsylvania, but not too far away.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions about SSP's. I'm not an expert, but I know whom to ask if a question goes over my head. :coolman:

I would be interested in that as long as it is not a saturday. I work in Sales and saturday is my biggest $$$$ day.

28HopUp

Established Member
I would be interested in that as long as it is not a saturday. I work in Sales and saturday is my biggest $$$$ day.

Sadly, it's on May 21st, which is a Saturday. Here is a link -

Lancaster, PA Car Show - Hempfield Cops and Rodders

There is a show that same weekend in Ocean City, MD. It runs from May 19-22. I may try to sneak down there at some point. Here's a link to a forum discussion about that show -

Ocean City Md 2011 Cruise May 19-22

Do you ride up to Cecil County Dragway at all?

Last edited:

flattrack53

Established Member
Sadly, it's on May 21st, which is a Saturday. Here is a link -

Lancaster, PA Car Show - Hempfield Cops and Rodders

There is a show that same weekend in Ocean City, MD. It runs from May 19-22. I may try to sneak down there at some point. Here's a link to a forum discussion about that show -

Ocean City Md 2011 Cruise May 19-22

Do you ride up to Cecil County Dragway at all?

I will be down there in OC from the 19-21 with the 5.0. I go up to Cecil County every friday night when its open!

1988Bullitt

Established Member
Where did you pick that up from if you don't mind me asking. A buddy in town just sold one identical to that not to long ago.

It's the one you’re thinking of, it was mine. I sold it to a fellow SSP enthusiast he finished it off, and then sold it to the current owner.

flattrack53

Established Member
It's the one you’re thinking of, it was mine. I sold it to a fellow SSP enthusiast he finished it off, and then sold it to the current owner.

Well between the two of you guys, you did a nice job! I just did a few minor things to the car. It is a real blast to drive! thanks

Users who are viewing this thread