300C SRT8 vs Camaro Z28

Catfood

Established Member
A female ran you to 130mph? Should have got her phone number too, sounds like a keeper!

S8ER01Z

Established Member
A female ran you to 130mph? Should have got her phone number too, sounds like a keeper!

Enh my Fiancee made 27 passes at our last track rental and pulled off a 13.17 @ 105.88 on a 1.99 60ft with my car stock. I think I already have a keeper. :beer:

Deuuuce

Established Member
If the weight differential was minimized at that speed the 300C should have ran away hard with almost 100hp more..:shrug: It's the same reason a 500hp Cobra gets raped by a 500hp Z06 at highway speeds..:banana:

As for aerodynamics, the 300C just seems like a barn door compared to the Camaro. I could be wrong though, maybe it made no difference at all.

I guess that's true, huh? It just wasn't as much as a factor. I would like to see someone put the math into a car length equation for roll racing. That would be cool.

Enh my Fiancee made 27 passes at our last track rental and pulled off a 13.17 @ 105.88 on a 1.99 60ft with my car stock. I think I already have a keeper. :beer:

Definitely!

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I guess that's true, huh? It just wasn't as much as a factor. I would like to see someone put the math into a car length equation for roll racing. That would be cool.

Yeah, I've seen it go several ways I think there a lot of factors at work even when racing from a roll. Curb weight, gearing, area under the curve, driver, conditions, starting MPH, etc..

I know the argument generally is weight doesn't effect acceleration at higher rolling speeds, but that just doesn't make sense to me.

For example. I know of ported, pullied Cobras that will run low 11s @ 125-127mph and outrun a stock C6Z by 3-4 tenths at the same track. Then they go race on the expressway from a rolling start and the C6Z will pull away every single time even though BOTH cars trapped 125mph+ in the 1/4 mile...:shrug:

I think a heavy curb weight effects acceleration at any speed in virtually any scenario.

I used to own a 3KGT VR4 that weighed around 3800lbs, despite having so many advantages over other platforms the weight always seemed to handicap performance from a roll or stop. With the smaller turbo housing I was using it had a really broad powerband, they are geared very well, (6spd getrag transmission similar to the one used in MKIV Supras) and have aerodynamics equivalent to most super cars. Yet, when racing my buddies cam only LS1 fbody making 40-50whp less we would still run dead even every time from a rolling start. :shrug:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
If the weight differential was minimized at that speed the 300C should have ran away hard with almost 100hp more..:shrug: It's the same reason a 500hp Cobra gets raped by a 500hp Z06 at highway speeds..:banana:

As for aerodynamics, the 300C just seems like a barn door compared to the Camaro. I could be wrong though, maybe it made no difference at all.

Well...unless I am completely crazy there isn't a 100hp difference to speak of.... Just low balling a little bit on both accounts... my LS1 should be ~300ish rwhp and SRT8s make ~355ish (Deuuce can confirm that for me).

If you look at the rated numbers 310hp vs 425hp there is a 100hp gap but in reality it's closer to 50~60rwhp difference.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Well...unless I am completely crazy there isn't a 100hp difference to speak of.... Just low balling a little bit on both accounts... my LS1 should be ~300ish rwhp and SRT8s make ~355ish (Deuuce can confirm that for me).

If you look at the rated numbers 310hp vs 425hp there is a 100hp gap but in reality it's closer to 50~60rwhp difference.

Yeah I was just looking at the rated crank HP numbers. Regardless, my point is if weight didn't effect acceleration at high rolling speeds than why were you able to keep up with a 50-60rwhp disadvantage.. :)

DARK GEARS

Banned
I used to spank my friends 404rwhp SRT8 on drag radials with my Camaro Z28 putting down 326rwhp on drag radials by 2 cars or so. They are fast though. I never raced him again after I went full bolt ons.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Yeah I was just looking at the rated crank HP numbers. Regardless, my point is if weight didn't effect acceleration at high rolling speeds than why were you able to keep up with a 50-60rwhp disadvantage.. :)

Well very good point. :) You have me on that one.. I don't know. :shrug:

It sounds like the SRT8 was just caught in a dead spot and if It hadn't been it would have left me and pulled away with ease.. I will have to wait until I get another shot at it to find out I guess.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Well very good point. :) You have me on that one.. I don't know. :shrug:

It sounds like the SRT8 was just caught in a dead spot and if It hadn't been it would have left me and pulled away with ease.. I will have to wait until I get another shot at it to find out I guess.

Maybe, you would know more than me, you raced her!! Although, if you caught the SRT8 at a dead spot wouldn't she have eventually started gaining ground well before you both let out at 130mph. :shrug:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Maybe, you would know more than me, you raced her!! Although, if you caught the SRT8 at a dead spot wouldn't she have eventually started gaining ground well before you both let out at 130mph. :shrug:

One would think... All I know is I started to creep slightly at the top of each gear and I shift to slow to keep the gain I had from 3 to 4. If she hadn't appeared to be smaller than me (I am a hefty 155lbs haha) I would have added that in the SRT8s favor as well.

Oh..and I also know I need to keep the dash cam in the car instead of leaving it at home all the time. :beer:

amxguy1970

Established Member
They both run identical times, I don't see either running away from each other stock for stock.

The reason they are so close is gearing, aerodynamics and weight. The M6 has closer gearing for better acceleration then the auto 5 spd of the SRT.

Also how can ESP affect the car at highway speeds? Why would it pull timing then? Do you mean it pulls timing when it spins the tires from a launch or slow roll? I know GTO's pull timing from heat soak and tire spinning, but at highway speeds crusing that really doesn't have any affect. It isn't an M-mode button or anything so what affect does it have at 70 as opposed to 10 mph?

There isn't any driver skill involved in an automatic race at highway speeds either, so that won't play a factor. Foot down, steer straight!

Either way at most speeds those two cars would run from it would be about equal, 20, 40, 60, 80 ect...

Good race OP, I have been wanting to run one in my car as well; should be a good race again .

Tyler

Deuuuce

Established Member
The reason they are so close is gearing, aerodynamics and weight. The M6 has closer gearing for better acceleration then the auto 5 spd of the SRT.

1st and 2nd in the SRT-8 are numerically more aggressive than the SVT Cobra. I don't know about the Fbody, never checked. The next factor becomes frequency and speed of shifts....

Also how can ESP affect the car at highway speeds? Why would it pull timing then? Do you mean it pulls timing when it spins the tires from a launch or slow roll? I know GTO's pull timing from heat soak and tire spinning, but at highway speeds crusing that really doesn't have any affect. It isn't an M-mode button or anything so what affect does it have at 70 as opposed to 10 mph?

Fair question and I don't know. I guess a dyno run might tell but I do know it takes some ET and mph away at the dragstrip.
There isn't any driver skill involved in an automatic race at highway speeds either, so that won't play a factor. Foot down, steer straight!

Either way at most speeds those two cars would run from it would be about equal, 20, 40, 60, 80 ect...

There is knowledge and procedure, but not skill.

Not getting caught in the deadspot, holding the gear vs. waiting for the downshift, ESP off...

amxguy1970

Established Member
1st and 2nd in the SRT-8 are numerically more aggressive than the SVT Cobra. I don't know about the Fbody, never checked. The next factor becomes frequency and speed of shifts....

Fair question and I don't know. I guess a dyno run might tell but I do know it takes some ET and mph away at the dragstrip.

There is knowledge and procedure, but not skill.

Not getting caught in the deadspot, holding the gear vs. waiting for the downshift, ESP off...

Agreed with everything you said, I was just curious mostly about the ESP at highway speeds.

I do agree with the deadspot thing and knowing to hit it a half second early to account for the down shift ect.!

Tyler

S8ER01Z

Established Member
1st and 2nd in the SRT-8 are numerically more aggressive than the SVT Cobra. I don't know about the Fbody, never checked.

-------Gear---1st---2nd---3rd---4th---5th
300C/--3.06--3.59--2.19--1.41--1.00--0.83
Z-28/--3.42--2.66--1.78--1.30--1.00--0.74

At 70mph
Z28---3rd @ 4100rpm
300C--2nd @ 5400rpm or 3rd @ 3500rpm (if it didn't downshift)

Hmm... I guess the only decent gearing advantage the SRT8 has is in the first 2 gears (unless I am crazy here).

The next factor becomes frequency and speed of shifts....

Well I only had 1 shift and I do think I bang the gears pretty well. haha :)

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
1st and 2nd in the SRT-8 are numerically more aggressive than the SVT Cobra. I don't know about the Fbody, never checked.
They are only slightly better, but they are pretty much close. Still good run o.p. I too have shared my experience against an SRT-8 (Charger), lets just say that he was surprised as I was :D. Correct me if im wrong but doesnt the Jeep hold the fastest 1/8 mile and 0-60 but the 1/4 was given to the 300C with the Challenger and Charger being really close?

Deuuuce

Established Member
-------Gear---1st---2nd---3rd---4th---5th
300C/--3.06--3.59--2.19--1.41--1.00--0.83
Z-28/--3.42--2.66--1.78--1.30--1.00--0.74

At 70mph
Z28---3rd @ 4100rpm
300C--2nd @ 5400rpm or 3rd @ 3500rpm (if it didn't downshift)

Hmm... I guess the only decent gearing advantage the SRT8 has is in the first 2 gears (unless I am crazy here).

Well I only had 1 shift and I do think I bang the gears pretty well. haha :)

Need to multiply each gear ratio by the final drive ratio so actually 3rd is shorter as well. However, factor in the tire height differential and that could be the clincher. I'm not going to bother with that math, personally. Too involved, too tired, too old... ;)

Yes, you did a good job. I don't think I can manually select 2nd at 70mph and I do know for sure it won't downshift.

They are only slightly better, but they are pretty much close. Still good run o.p. I too have shared my experience against an SRT-8 (Charger), lets just say that he was surprised as I was :D. Correct me if im wrong but doesnt the Jeep hold the fastest 1/8 mile and 0-60 but the 1/4 was given to the 300C with the Challenger and Charger being really close?

Yes, I would say the Jeep would hold the 1/8th record on stock tires and a 300C the 1/4 with the others right behind.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Need to multiply each gear ratio by the final drive ratio so actually 3rd is shorter as well. However, factor in the tire height differential and that could be the clincher. I'm not going to bother with that math, personally. Too involved, too tired, too old... ;)

haha..that's alright..I'm young. :beer:

3.06 x 1.41 = 4.314
3.42 x 1.30 = 4.446

Very Close numbers...and the tire height probably makes a rather large difference.. good call on that.

Yes, you did a good job. I don't think I can manually select 2nd at 70mph and I do know for sure it won't downshift.

All the more reason to start the next SRT8 encounter from a slower speeed. :beer:

Yes, I would say the Jeep would hold the 1/8th record on stock tires and a 300C the 1/4 with the others right behind.

Well there is still that freak pass that no one can explain by the 300C of 12.7 @111mph or something like that. ( I imagine the 1/8th had to have been stellar) :rolling: I don't think I've seen a grand cherokee SRT8 pull better than a 12.8 or 12.9 bone stock in the 1/4 but the 1/8ths are definately low 8s. (a lot of 'claims' but some quick searching on usernames typically results in a pretty quick BS flag.)

Last edited:

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
You guys seem to know a bit about the 300Cs. So how would a geared 97 Cobra compare? 4.30s and otherwise basically stock (O/R X and K&N, shifter, ect). Reason I ask is because my cousin's friend has one and wants to run at the track (1/8 mile).

BlueSnake01

Established Member
You guys seem to know a bit about the 300Cs. So how would a geared 97 Cobra compare? 4.30s and otherwise basically stock (O/R X and K&N, shifter, ect). Reason I ask is because my cousin's friend has one and wants to run at the track (1/8 mile).
From the look of your 1/8 mile time, he should beat you (yes i know they were stock gears but gears wont give you a sec). You will give him a good run but he will beat you. But are you talking about the SRT-8 300C or the regular 300C?

Users who are viewing this thread