99 Cobra / engine questions

austin21

Established Member
Good afternoon everyone,

Recently inherited a 99 Mustang Cobra with 65k miles.

Car has had some work done to it, however i found out its pushing 515 whp and from what i have looked up thats too much for stock internals.

Car has a new fuel system, comp camps, timing chain re-done recently, bigger injectors, procharger supercharger, aftermarket ECU, full exhaust.

Looking to make the car RELIABLE and push around 500-550whp and maybe even more.

I was looking into getting the bottom end rebuilt (MMR Forged Pistons, Rings, Rods ~$1500)

Is this something i should consider? What else should i upgrade to make the car reliable. Just dont want to be stuck with a 5-6k engine rebuild in the future.

The car needs to be re-tuned as the speed shop that tuned it did a terrible job and the car bucks a lot when crusing around 1500rpm

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Stock crank, Coyote Gen 2+ rods, ask Todd Warren for a suggestion on pistons.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
What aftermarket ECU is in it? Or do you mean it was tuned? These engines generally don't like cruising at 1500rpm. They're small engines. Aftermarket cams just make it worse.

01yellercobra

Established Member
So, which is it?
I think he's saying the tune in it currently sucks. I'm surprised they went with a Microsquirt. I think the MS3 would be much better.

For the shortblock I'd run Molnar or Manley rods and look into Gibtec pistons. They seem to be the go to company now. Though I ran Diamonds in the past and didn't have issues. Better to over build now then regret it later IMO.

austin21

Established Member
I think he's saying the tune in it currently sucks. I'm surprised they went with a Microsquirt. I think the MS3 would be much better.

For the shortblock I'd run Molnar or Manley rods and look into Gibtec pistons. They seem to be the go to company now. Though I ran Diamonds in the past and didn't have issues. Better to over build now then regret it later IMO.

Yeah I’m not a fan of it but it’s what the speed shop locally recommended as he had 2 stock ECU’s die on him.

Appreciate the insight on the rods and pistons. Any idea how much it would cost for someone to install the rods, pistons, rings?

I’ve never had to get an engine built like this so just trying to gauge cost. Thanks again !

01yellercobra

Established Member
How long ago was all this done? Stock ECU's in these cars don't usually die randomly. DIY has a plug and play set up for these cars that uses the MS3. If they didn't cut up the stock harness I'd recommend making the change.

I honestly have no idea. It varies machine shop to machine shop. And I usually build my own stuff as I've had issues in the past.

austin21

Established Member
How long ago was all this done? Stock ECU's in these cars don't usually die randomly. DIY has a plug and play set up for these cars that uses the MS3. If they didn't cut up the stock harness I'd recommend making the change.

I honestly have no idea. It varies machine shop to machine shop. And I usually build my own stuff as I've had issues in the past.

I will have to check into that. I haven’t checked out the wiring yet. I do remember seeing some aftermarket wires underneath the passenger glove box. But unsure if that’s going to the ECU

I’ll take a look tomorrow in the floorboard kick panel

austin21

Established Member

Confirmed it’s an MS3 pro installed !

austin21

Established Member
Do you know if the 99 cobra heads are reliable for up to 550-600hp?

Looking at getting the bottom end forged and the shop is asking if I want to do heads also.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Depending on mileage I'd get them cleaned, maybe a valve job, and new seals. But for power there's no problem making that with the 99/01 heads.

austin21

Established Member
Depending on mileage I'd get them cleaned, maybe a valve job, and new seals. But for power there's no problem making that with the 99/01 heads.

I’m thinking of getting the ModMax shortblock and selling my factory shortblock afterwards to recoup some money

Do you have any experience with ModMax parts or short blocks?

Would cost me just about the same either route I chose however if I sold my old shortblock I could recoup a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread