99 Cobra / engine questions

austin21

Established Member
Depending on mileage I'd get them cleaned, maybe a valve job, and new seals. But for power there's no problem making that with the 99/01 heads.
I’m thinking of getting the ModMax shortblock and selling my factory shortblock afterwards to recoup some money

Do you have any experience with ModMax parts or short blocks?

Would cost me just about the same either route I chose however if I sold my old shortblock I could recoup a bit.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've never bought a shortblock from anyone. But something to consider is the Romeo blocks are iron. So it'll add about 80lbs to the nose of your car.

bird_dog0347

Established Member
If you already have a good Teksid block and Kellog crank, just keep those and do forged rods and pistons, as well as a few of the Cobra Engineering parts for reliability on the timing side.

austin21

Established Member
If you already have a good Teksid block and Kellog crank, just keep those and do forged rods and pistons, as well as a few of the Cobra Engineering parts for reliability on the timing side.
Yeah I’m just considering my options. Either route or re using or buying a new block is going to be around the same price.

Badaz01

Established Member
Do you know if the 99 cobra heads are reliable for up to 550-600hp?

Looking at getting the bottom end forged and the shop is asking if I want to do heads also.
I made 600 whp with the 01 heads. Can’t say no issues though. Just had a cam sprocket bolt break off.

Badaz01

Established Member
Yeah I’m just considering my options. Either route or re using or buying a new block is going to be around the same price.
I am actually in the process of rebuilding now. I have the wap block bored .20 over with wiseco pistons this time around. Re using the Manley h beams and the Kellogg factory crank myself. Also had the heads re worked. Just a stock refresh.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I wouldn't call a broken cam bolt an issue with the head. If a cam cap busted then I'd say the head is an issue.

Badaz01

Established Member
I wouldn't call a broken cam bolt an issue with the head. If a cam cap busted then I'd say the head is an issue.
Yea I’m not sure what happened with mine. I am however getting custom cams from Todd warren and it looks like the cam bolts that go with them are thicker.

Users who are viewing this thread