Alright, need some thinkers in here... Crank Pulley install fuggup...

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
Yeah, 1158

..and I already put the stock one back :(

For those who claim that they do not feel the seat of the pants power from a pulley, think again. I can actually feel that the car lost some oomph from removing the march pulley.

I did not get to test the car well enough (too much traffic), so I'll do a WOT run tonight and see if my problem is gone.

are you going to reinstall?

fastback brian

Established Member
(only in WOT while in 3rd and 4th gear)..and it never does it in 1st or 2nd.

It is not pinging. I've had pinging before and this is not it.

The noise comes from underneath the radio area and it's motor/drivetrain related, kinda to the "forward and bottom right" from the driver.

That sure does sound like pre ignition(detonation/pinging) to me...any smoke from the exhaust when it "rattles"?? try the the stock air box, reinstall the pcv and fresh air tubes and remove the spacer, put it back to stock....

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
That sure does sound like pre ignition(detonation/pinging) to me...any smoke from the exhaust when it "rattles"?? try the the stock air box, reinstall the pcv and fresh air tubes and remove the spacer, put it back to stock....

Sorry dude, all tried..

..and no it's not detonation like I mentioned further up. I know what detonation sounds like. Been ther before plenty. I've also added 1/2 a tank of 100 octane to see of that'll help, but that did not do it.

I only put the spacer in 2 weeks ago but this issue has been going on for over 9 months.

I do not have long tubes.

(Please read all my posts above to see if I answered any possible questions in mind)

Since I took the March pulley out last night, I'll see of it fixed the rattle noise, and it so, then I know something was not right...and I might reinstall it to see of it comes back.

Ken

Established Member
****UPDATE****

Rattle noise is gone!

The only questions now are:

Was it the RTV?
or
Was it the pulley itself?

From all the reading I did, I found out that a noise or vibration that occurs between a specific rpm range (not all) is mostly caused by harmonics. If there is a misbalance somewhere, it will cause an interference within a certain rpm range only. Just like if your wheels shake at 55 or at a certain speed and you cannot get the shake at other speeds is again harmonic related.

LXS

Established Member
Congrats! I'm positive it's the pulley and not the RTV/silicon! The only way I could see the RTV being the problem is if the original installer PUT that piece of old/dry RTV between the bolt and crank which would lead to a false torque down causing the pulley to be crooked/unbalanced. That in turn would give off the vibrations/harmonics that the knock sensors would pick up on causing your ECU to pull timing.

luke87gt

Established Member
I wonder if you were ever able to put the March Pulley back on with proper torque spec?

It's possible that you just had a bad pulley too...

This is the first complaint I have ever seen with the March 1158 SFI fluid-damper

Established Member
I wonder if you were ever able to put the March Pulley back on with proper torque spec?

It's possible that you just had a bad pulley too...

This is the first complaint I have ever seen with the March 1158 SFI fluid-damper

Nope, it was not the pulley. It WAS installation error caused by my friend who put too much RTV and caused a misbalance on the crank due to the heavier pulley.

I installed the stock pulley back on there, made sure not to use too much RTV, and the rattle noise was gone.

Chris Scott has my old March pulley on his car right now (380 rwhp N/A) and he does not have any noise with it.

Also, when my Ford buddy had installed it, he used an impact wrench. He DID NOT torque it down or use the installation method that is outlined by Ford or any of the manuf methods of certain tq/lb, backing off, and then re-torquing it.

:bash:

When I reinstalled the stock unit, I did everything by spec.

fastback brian

Established Member
Nope, it was not the pulley. It WAS installation error caused by my friend who put too much RTV and caused a misbalance on the crank due to the heavier pulley.

I installed the stock pulley back on there, made sure not to use too much RTV, and the rattle noise was gone.

Chris Scott has my old March pulley on his car right now (380 rwhp N/A) and he does not have any noise with it.

Also, when my Ford buddy had installed it, he used an impact wrench. He DID NOT torque it down or use the installation method that is outlined by Ford or any of the manuf methods of certain tq/lb, backing off, and then re-torquing it.

:bash:

When I reinstalled the stock unit, I did everything by spec.

there was no install error... what shop you work for again? pretty shitty on your part to blame a quality tech who hooked you up on the install and got a custom size ford belt and all... I belive he even told you the pulley was bad idea but you insisted...

luke87gt

Established Member
Nope, it was not the pulley. It WAS
I installed the stock pulley back on there, made sure not to use too much RTV, and the rattle noise was gone

Unless you installed the same underdrive pulley again and showed that the problem was gone (using a small dab of RTV and proper torque this time), how can you begin to draw the conclusion that you are drawing? :shrug:

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
there was no install error... what shop you work for again? pretty shitty on your part to blame a quality tech who hooked you up on the install and got a custom size ford belt and all... I belive he even told you the pulley was bad idea but you insisted...

That's ridiculous. I dont know any "quality techs" that would install a damper with an impact wrench. Not only that but too much silicone was used and it got pushed between the flat washer and the flat mounting surface of the damper. Not good at all. I wouldnt let that guy work on my daughters tricycle.

Established Member

What shop do I work for? None!

..but, I DO KNOW about torque specs and proper installation procedure. Which sadly enough seems to be more than a Ford Tech seems to know.

Brian, yes it was your error on the install.

I suppose that since you're a Ford tech, you did go to an automotive tech learning facility. I also hope that they taught you all about torque specs and how they are applied. If you missed those classes, then I fully understand your mistakes.

You used an Impact on the pulley, and you put too much RTV sealant on the pulley at the same time. There is a torque sequence installation procedure on crank pulleys and using an impact gun is not proper procedure.

Your error caused me months of headaches trying to figure out where the problem came from. I'm hoping that your error did not cause any damage to my crank.

I ALSO paid $30 something for the belt. Don't make it seem that you gave me a belt for free.

Also, when you used an IMPACT gun on my pinion nut, I kept thinking to myself that you do seem to love rushing and using an impact gun quite a bit eh?

My pinion seal has been leaking since you installed it, and after checking up on it, guess what my friend? That pinion nut was loose. My driveway is covered in rear end gear oil and I blame you my friend.

There is a torque sequence procedure for the pinion nut as well.

I provided all the parts needed for the work you did on my car. I paid for the work and I also expected that the work would be done professionally in the proper installation manner with all the proper torque sequences applied as they should.

The $70 I saved by going to you for my rear end bearing swap job has ended up costing me alot more and I'm hoping the extra bit I paid for the shoddy crank install while my car was on the lift did not cost me a damaged crank.

I should have done all the work myself. I was trying to save myself from working on my back on the ground, but this fully affirms that I should never let anyone else touch my car, fuggit, I'll rent a lift somewhere and do it myself. I've done multiple motor swaps for me and other friends, have enough know how to apply a proper torque procedure where it's needed.

I kept quiet and DID NOT identify you or bitch about your work to all the local people that go to you for cheap work, however, I have heard multiple complaints about your work..and I've stayed silent.

I think you should have stayed out of this thread and not mouthed off to me.

Ken

Established Member
Does this brian work for a ford dealership off in the I.E., i believe some place off of the 15, north of the 10?

Yes indeed, and he goes by Mizry on various message boards.

More info on this issue beginning with his post # 133 on this thread:

5.0 now in the 10s - Page 6 - Lost Angels Mustang Club

You can find him easily with his proud statement about being impact gun certified in his sig.

-Ken

Last edited:

SVECobraR

Established Member
Yup Mizry, thats the guy that did my rear end install. My diff has been leaking since that day and the backlash/play in my rear end is horrible. I'm going to have to pay powertrain industries to fix it ($200), and thats if the hardware is still good.

What a waste of $400.

Established Member
Yup Mizry, thats the guy that did my rear end install. My diff has been leaking since that day and the backlash/play in my rear end is horrible. I'm going to have to pay powertrain industries to fix it ($200), and thats if the hardware is still good.

What a waste of $400.

Yep, I have the same problem. My rear end whines like a banshee as well.

I doubt the hardware will be good. You might have to pick up new hardware to ensure that it does not cost you more money in the long run.

If you're a member or have an acct on LAMC, you should warn others about his shoddy work.

s|ck

Established Member
Another reason why I don't let anyone else touch my truck except me or a reputable tuner.

Users who are viewing this thread