**Alternator - Removal How-To PICS **

Obi1Cobi

Established Member
Im on my 4th alt. All ford stock alt. The 3rd time i did it myself prior to this thread. I spent 3 days on the ground trying to get that thing out. My buddy tried for a day twisting, rocking, wiggling. I finally got it out and then it took another day to put the new one in. I want to try it with these instructions but its doing okay now. I will wait another few months and im sure the chance to try will come up.

nosfox

Established Member
my car for some odd reason never had that spacer on the bottom brace what is the tickness on it so i can make one

whiplash306

Established Member
nosfox said:
my car for some odd reason never had that spacer on the bottom brace what is the tickness on it so i can make one
I also did not have the spacer....guess it didn't need one...everything lined up just fine!

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
The spacer is only a factor when you have installed a Metco lower pulley.
On a side note, to those who live in So Cal, I was quoted $145 from A&A Alternators in downtown Riverside (951) 276-8268 to rebuild my Alt on the spot with a lifetime warranty. Said it would be done in an hour or 2. I have used these guys before and never had an alternator from them fail. :beer:

redline

Established Member
ok now the question is? what did everybody do as far as replacing the alternator , i.e.new one, rebuilt ,aftermarket.??

Joe Dirt R/C

Established Member
I would suggest a NEW one. I was 800 miles from home when mine went out. I had to settle for what I could get, so I got an Auto Zone special. I put it on in the parking lot, and that mother ****er looked like a sparkler when I started the car. It eventually quit and got me home. When I got back, I made ford come get my car, and put a new ford alternator on it. I also made them reimburse me for the nearly $300 Auto Zone piece of shit that I put on. Just for the record, my car is stock and never had a pulley on it.

BLK_03

Established Member
Glad this has helped so many.

As far as my PA experience... I went through 4 of them and finally gave up. My buddy Broke7 went through 3 and demanded his money back. Many others have had similar experiences.

My car is a twin turbo car now that uses a different alternator in a different configuration. But in hindsight, I would have gone with 1 of 2 things.

1) Another stock unit.

2) Purchased a unit from a local auto parts store with a lifetime warranty. With as much issue as I had, it would have been tons easier to return the alternator to a local parts store and pick up another, than shipping the thing to PA, waiting weeks and getting another back.

svtguy22

Established Member
Do NOT get a new alternator!!! Waste of money! Get your existing alt rebuilt! They fail because the diodes inside are soldered in. Solder has a low melting point, and when this melts it causes it to short out. When you have your alternator rebuilt, ask them to tac-weld the new diodes in..

This will prevent it from happening again and its cheaper then a new alternator.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
Glad this has helped so many.

As far as my PA experience... I went through 4 of them and finally gave up. My buddy Broke7 went through 3 and demanded his money back. Many others have had similar experiences.

My car is a twin turbo car now that uses a different alternator in a different configuration. But in hindsight, I would have gone with 1 of 2 things.

1) Another stock unit.

2) Purchased a unit from a local auto parts store with a lifetime warranty. With as much issue as I had, it would have been tons easier to return the alternator to a local parts store and pick up another, than shipping the thing to PA, waiting weeks and getting another back.

Great info on this. I picked up a PA performance alt for mine and it died 4k miles later. The bearings were shot and it was squeaking like crazy, eventually it didn't charge anymore. It broke oddly enough 5 miles out of SID297's driveway @ 6am on my way to work. haha

I think my stocker might be going bad though, starting to squeek on startup and not getting quiet until its fully warm. 25k miles on the car now, and I've spun it to 7200rpm quite frequently. :shrug:

SoBlue4.6

Established Member
Subscribed. I will be using this tomorrow morning. Mine just took a crap and I had to get an alternator from AutoZone seeing as though I have to be at work/school 320 miles from here on Monday, I had to get a quick fix to get back down there. This should be very helpful. I will let you guys know how it works out.

Sharkster

Established Member
Just got mine out:shrug: that sucked bull moose balls. While getting it out im trying to figure out how in the hell its gonna go back in. Oh man. Im just changing the alt pulley for the 4#. Im taking the alt to get tested. I dont want to have to do this again any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread