**Alternator - Removal How-To PICS **

jayiii

Speed Enthusiast
Established Member
I did a search on the internet and found this write up. This is awesome!!! I already had the alternator loose, but I was in the process of destroying my garage in anger when I could not get it out. Thanks to this write up, I still have a functional garage! THANKS!!!!!

Jay

JamesT

Established Member
Thanks for the write up. After 35.5K I had to change the alt.. I believe the needed change was due primarily to the radiator tank cracking and fluid getting all over.

I had a couple of things (I apologize if they have been said): First, my bracket didn't have the spacer picture on the first page of this post. I kept an eye out for it. Second, I had to remove the lower alt bracket completely to get the alt out. It was not a big deall, seeing how the only bolt left was loose. It just took me a while to figure out this is what I needed to do.

Thanks again,

CEE1NG_RED

Established Member
I will be doing mine tomorrow after 20k miles on the car!! Now...if Ford doesn't have one in stock, I am going to get an Autozone brand. Does the new alternator come w/ a pulley or we have to use our old existing alternator pulley? If we do have to use the old pulley, how can it be taken out? Clockwise? Counter clockwise??? Thanks...:rockon:

CEE1NG_RED

Established Member
oKAY...I was able to take the alternator off the mounts and connectors and belt, but I cannot take it off the engine bay. The alternator bracket underneath the car is in the way and I tried to rotate and manuever the alternator around and no luck. Any ideas to remove the alternator out? If you're around Long Beach area and can assist, LMK. I'll give cash just to help me remove and put back the alternator. I'll do the installation you just help me get it out and maneuver it back in. Thanks.

Alex.

alternatorproblemunder.jpg

EDIT: Got the alternator out. I just had to remove the brackets!!!! After that, just tug and bamm it's out. Yay!!

Last edited:

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
SVTP Rocks! :rockon:

Thanks for the write up... I'm on my way to the Ford dealer to get a new alternator and battery. My alternator has been weak for a few months now and it finally died last night. 78,000 miles are on her so I guess I'm due. This write up will save me lots of time deciding what to remove next. Well done! :thumbsup:

BLK03SVT

Mike
Established Member
Great thread. Mine took a crap on me last night stranding me on the freeway. Replacement sounds simple enough. I think I'm going to wait till Monday to buy a ford unit though.

BLK03SVT

Mike
Established Member
Great writeup. Alt was a bieatch to work out the bottom of the car and the upper bolt is hard to get to, but this writeup was awesome. Just hope the new one goes in easy. Thanks again.

MustangMikeKy

Whippled L
Established Member
I tackled this today. . . thanks for the info :beer:

but I took a different route. . . instead of bringing it out of the bottom of the car(looks impossible and :beer: to those that got it out that way), i brought it out the top. . .and for those of you that want to do it this way as well, I will give you my recommendations on what to take loose to squeeze it out. . .

1. Top bracket that holds alternator in place. . . held in by 5 screws, one of those 5 being in the picture that the op put up . . . this one:
Picture008.jpg

then there is two side by side facing the alternator and then two on the block that you have to take out from looking under the car. ( it also helps to take that hose bracket loose for more room as well, the one in the pic)

2. Power steering reservoir . . . 3 screws. . . and it moved enough for some more space

3. little metal bracket for the brake lines. . . took the screw out of it and the brake lines moved enough to let it through. . .

Once I did these few little things, it squeezed right out . . . Hope that helps anyone that attempts it from the top, it seemed just the only way to do it imo. . .

Mike

Rel

Established Member
Like others have said. My PA Automotive 240 alternator DIED leaving me 150 miles away from home and had to goto court in the morning... Had less than 2000 miles on it...

Cost me $400 towing.

My recommendation... FORD or rebuit with more amps

1SCOOT

Established Member
Changed mine out this week, not overly difficult. Thanks to this thread!

My replacement alternator came from Autozone with a LLT warranty...essentially anything happens to it I bring it back for a new one. Well, that's the claim anyways :rockon:

New alternator came with pulley same size as original :dancenana:

Steeda04SVT

Team Bareass New Mexico
Established Member
Do NOT get a new alternator!!! Waste of money! Get your existing alt rebuilt! They fail because the diodes inside are soldered in. Solder has a low melting point, and when this melts it causes it to short out. When you have your alternator rebuilt, ask them to tac-weld the new diodes in..

This will prevent it from happening again and its cheaper then a new alternator.

Great info man. I didn't know about that. Good looking out. Great write up too. I gotta change mine out soon

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
Tomorrow will be my 3rd alt change in about 2 months with an O'reillys refurb:bash: WHEN this one goes out, I will be getting my money back and buying somewhere else. Any ideas? I was thinking OEM from a stealership?

Users who are viewing this thread