Anyone know what this thing is?

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
Thats wierd that the sticker says 2 days before the car was built...kinda freaky if you ask me.

SVT10TH#1721

Established Member
Not Lo Jack Mine Looks Different I can Post pics if you want . Although it is in the Same Location.(in Front of Shifter)

beabout

Established Member
Collision data recorder? As for the date being before the born date that tag must likely is the manufacturer date not the install date.

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
It looks like a data acquisition module. Ford utilized similar devices on some fleet vehicles in test markets. A former customer of mine had 30 vehicles including Mustangs, Thunderbirds, and Expeditions that were “on loan” from the Ford Motor Company for testing purposes. A Ford representative would come out to their location every 30 days and collect data. The units are usually placed in a location that deters tampering but is easily accessible from the drivers seat. I have not heard on any of these being placed on private vehicles but anything is possible. It could be a left over piece that was never removed after it served its purpose. You would need to trace the history of the vehicle through the Department of Motor Vehicles to help determine if it was a lease vehicle or sold with some sort of unusual history. If it were used as a factory test vehicle it would normally have a disclaimer (see attached) placed on the vehicle in a common area. I would be interested in the DSO code listed on the manufacturer’s label on the driver door jam. If provided I can tell you what District or part of the country the vehicle was originally ordered from.

37.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Interesting info you posted. Could this be a part that was installed at the factory for data collection purposes and maybe should have been removed prior to leaving the factory but wasn't?

jbrown1238

Established Member
Interesting info you posted. Could this be a part that was installed at the factory for data collection purposes and maybe should have been removed prior to leaving the factory but wasn't?

Anything is possible. The company I mentioned had some interesting stories of top speed runs across the Florida Everglades that was supported by data collected from the "loaned" vehicles from Ford. The truth is, it could be anything from a GPS locator placed by a jealous spouse to a leftover data collection module that was long since forgotten about. Maybe an automatic garage door opener? : )

Last edited:

jbrown1238

Established Member
That is interesting, I show District Sales Office #26 as New Orleans and #28 as Louisville. There is no entry for DSO #27. I guess it raised more questions than it answered.

venom one

Schoolin' your kids
Established Member
IIRC, I heard of a black box that has to do with the traction control resetting to the on setting everytime you shut-off and then start the car.....

2K4VENM

Setn off Ur Car Alarm!
Established Member
Only thing I can think of is some sort of crash data recorder. But why is it in your car? Hmmmmm.......

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
I'm pretty sure that might be a LoJack. I had one and it was installed in the same location and had a long wire that came out of it that was the antenna.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Antenna makes me think it is Lojack...

Call LoJack and talk to them. You might have to provide some Proof of Ownership before they will confirm that it is a LoJack, but if you give them your VIN# they should be able to look your car up in their system. I believe it costs $99.00 to Transfer Service to your name, not sure if their is any other Monthly/Yearly Fees.

Users who are viewing this thread