Are there any believable excuses?

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Ryan Moats would say no to this question, but be honest and things might go your way. When I was 18 I was pulled over for 50 in a 35, making a turn without signaling while going through a blinking red light without stopping. Add those points up. This was at 3:45AM, as I was pulling into the parking lot of the school where I was working a shut down (electrical stuff). When asked why I was driving like such a jackass I said I wanted to eat before work started at 4AM. He asked where I was working, I said right here, I'm with the electrical contractor. He checked my info and gave me everything back and told me if I keep driving like that I won't have a license for very long. No ticket, no warning.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Ryan Moats would say no to this question, but be honest and things might go your way. When I was 18 I was pulled over for 50 in a 35, making a turn without signaling while going through a blinking red light without stopping. Add those points up. This was at 3:45AM, as I was pulling into the parking lot of the school where I was working a shut down (electrical stuff). When asked why I was driving like such a jackass I said I wanted to eat before work started at 4AM. He asked where I was working, I said right here, I'm with the electrical contractor. He checked my info and gave me everything back and told me if I keep driving like that I won't have a license for very long. No ticket, no warning.

That would be a verbal warning. :shrug:

oldmodman

Established Member
The only thing that I have personally witnessed that works is the driver being 24 years old, female, wearing a bridesmaid dress, and having large perky breast on prominent display. I was in the passenger seat and we were on the way to her sister's wedding in rural Missouri. The local (Jeff City) officer sent her on her way with just a warning. She was hitting 85 before she was pulled over. And he couldn't take his eyes off of those beauties (neither could I).

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Honesty is your best bet. I've been pulled over a few times... And basically admitted guilt and the officers either let me go or gave me a non-moving violation ticket, such as "no front plate". It doesnt always work, but I've had more luck with this over anything else.

There was another time when I was pulled over for doing 47 in a 35. The speed limit JUST changed from 45 to 35 and I didnt see the sign (wasnt familiar with the area), and told the police officer that. Its NOT an excuse, since I should have seen it, but he was nice enough to let me go. It was an honest mistake and I was cooperative.

Another thing that has helped me too, is basically allowing the police officer to feel "comfortable" around me. I ALWAY turn the car off and put my keys on the roof, roll all my windows down, and put my hands on the steering wheel as they come up to the car. as they ask for my ID, I give it to them. :shrug:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
the ONE time i was in a rush to see someone with a broken leg that needed surgery, and got pulled over----the excuse of needing to emergently get to the hospital to fix a broken leg did not work---go figure. the two other times i was pulled over wearing scrubs i was asked what hospital i worked for, and what i did, and given a verbal warning---i was on the way home from work both times.

honesty is typically the best policy. ever have your 5 year old child tell you a lie?? that's what it probably sounds like to a cop when someone tries to make an excuse to get out of a ticket.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
honesty is typically the best policy. ever have your 5 year old child tell you a lie?? that's what it probably sounds like to a cop when someone tries to make an excuse to get out of a ticket.

Winner! You sir, just hit the proverbial nail right on the head! :beer:

ShelbyJK500

Established Member
I'm glad to hear crime is so low in your area you have time to follow up on peoples stories so they can't get out of a ticket. I wish my area was that lucky.

Too funny...I just MAKE the time!! I've been on both sides. Most of the time you can tell if someone is acting or having a real emergency. I've followed up and handed out several tickets to liars in the comfort of their own home a day after they thought they pulled one over on a dumb cop. The simple joys of the job sometimes.

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
honesty is typically the best policy. ever have your 5 year old child tell you a lie?? that's what it probably sounds like to a cop when someone tries to make an excuse to get out of a ticket.[/QUOTE]

^ This

A close friend of mine is a mountie. They are trained to size up people/situations and usually have no trouble determining the truthfulness of a suspect. Just be honest and let the chips fall where they may...

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Yeah, I'm not an LEO, but I've always gotten better treatment by being honest when stopped. Cops are human, and hear BS all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00_silvergt

Established Member
Honesty has always worked for me. I have been pulled over at least 25 times if not more. And I have only gotten 2 tickets. I'm not complaining because I did deserve them. Some you can't get out of even if being honest. But honesty still helps. 7 years ago when I was young and dumb I got pulled over for racing. Police officer turned on the lights and we both pulled over. He asked for license and registration. And if we knew why we got pulled over. At the end he said thank you for your cooperation. I wont have your car impounded. I don't know about other states but here usually the car always gets impounded. Went to court just paid some court fees, unsupervised probation and 2 days of road crew. My license didn't even get suspended. Honesty counts a lot in court too.

Users who are viewing this thread