Automatic in your Terminator

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
code3smith said:
Would it be worth the time to swap my Cobra 6spd with a Mach1 Auto? I realize that I would have to upgrade the Mach1 auto. But as far as parts needed for the conversion, is it worthwhile? The reason I ask is because I know a Mach1 owner that is willing to do the swap with me if its a viable solution. I love my Cobra to death, but with my bad shoulders (4 operations), I get tired of using the stick. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd be more worried if I were the Mach 1 owner. The automatic Mach 1's don't have near the engine the stick models do. Don't rev as high, less camshaft, no forged internals.

One thing the Mach 1 guy had better check into is whether or not his crankshaft is machined to fit the pilot bearing. Where it's not a stick crank, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it's not. He would have to pull the crank and have it machined before he could do the swap. Yuk. I have done a lot of auto to stick conversions in my time. (but not on one of these cars) You would be absolutely amazed at the number of automatic cars that don't have the crank machined. Even if the sticks use the same crank. They just skip that step (and expense) if the crank is going in an engine for use with an auto trans. Where the Mach 1 engine is so specific to auto or stick, I think he may be very disappointed when he looks at the end of his crank.

03Steve

Established Member
Excellent point FireRed. He he...one of the most fun parts of installing the auto was popping out the pilot bearing with a slide hammer. I love that tool. :D

red03dave

Established Member
Steve - Do you know whether the 4R70W can be built to handle 600+? I will be doing an auto swap soon and if this tranny can be used once beefed up a bit then it will be what I use. What stall did you go with? Do you daily drive the car at all? How streetable is the Lentech with the manual valve body and do you see any issues with longevity if used for a daily driver?

Thanks for any help!!

BruntzySVT

Established Member
I miss my old auto i loved flooring it and it kicken in...i bet with 700hp you get a big ass kick in!

TRQNUT

FireRed04Vert said:
I'd be more worried if I were the Mach 1 owner. The automatic Mach 1's don't have near the engine the stick models do. Don't rev as high, less camshaft, no forged internals.
wrong. they rev the same, have the same cams, and the only thing forged in the stick mach is the crank. that is the only difference. the redline on the tack is different, but the car revs just as high - only the tack is different.

Dr.Jay

Out of my mind. Back in 5
Established Member
Lol, I did it the other way around... swapped my tired automatic from my 99 GT and put in a T56 :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

03SBSVT

Banned
red03dave said:
Steve - Do you know whether the 4R70W can be built to handle 600+? I will be doing an auto swap soon and if this tranny can be used once beefed up a bit then it will be what I use. What stall did you go with? Do you daily drive the car at all? How streetable is the Lentech with the manual valve body and do you see any issues with longevity if used for a daily driver?

Thanks for any help!!
you can get 1000hp automatics built

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Pretty sweet write up.

i saw a vvideo on street fire, or a solid, auto turbo terminator on stock long block(on wheels also, must of had dr) run 9's.

Dosent mgw make a handle for this auto btw?

Users who are viewing this thread