1994–1997 Mercury Cougar
1995–2004 Mercury Grand Marquis
1997–2004 Ford Expedition
1997–2001 Mercury Mountaineer
1994–2004 Ford Mustang

nrmustang

Established Member
TRQNUT said:
wrong. they rev the same, have the same cams, and the only thing forged in the stick mach is the crank. that is the only difference. the redline on the tack is different, but the car revs just as high - only the tack is different.

x2, my 03' auto Mach 1 would still rev past redline to about 6300 before it would shift.....from the factory.

Crank is the only difference.

03WetSnake

All Or Nothing!!!
Established Member
would going to a 4R70W slow you down because I think that it is heavier, and has more rotating mass which slows you down alot? I run one of 2 tranny shops my dad owns and we have a few 4r70w's but Joe at Dynospeed, said that it probably would slow me down. Just wondering,I just had a spec 3+ installed so it my be awhile, because i like the 5500rpm dumps......

03cobramanIII

Banned
if i do an auto swap like the one above will the speedo work? pm me i been thinking o getting the wife a term. too she cant drive a std.

Last edited:

03cobramanIII

Banned
i fuond a 03 mach 1 with std, i want to go auto in it, do you used the ecu? or what controls the trans shifting? i really need to know much b4 i but the car ,they want 9500.00 for it , i could sell old t45.

fak3r

Bow to your sensei!!
Established Member
Very interesting. Has anyone done this since the original post?

03cobramanIII

Banned
i fuond a 03 mach 1 with std, i want to go auto in it, do you used the ecu? or what controls the trans shifting? i really need to know much b4 i but the car ,they want 9500.00 for it , i could sell old t45.
i can get the car for about 8500. i got a auto lined up . so the 03 machs crank with the std will work just knock out the polit bearing? ehat about the ecu. i will i need a mach1 auto ecu? im not good witht these computer cars . i dont want to buy the car , and not be able to do the conversion easly. yes it would have to pass emissions. and speedo would have to work also .

let me know whats all invo. in great detail?

if i sell my wifes 99 vert , and not be able to swap over , she will kick my azz.

MVD

Established Member
i can get the car for about 8500. i got a auto lined up . so the 03 machs crank with the std will work just knock out the polit bearing? ehat about the ecu. i will i need a mach1 auto ecu? im not good witht these computer cars . i dont want to buy the car , and not be able to do the conversion easly. yes it would have to pass emissions. and speedo would have to work also .

If you want the auto to be a full auto (shift on it's own) then yes you will need a Mach 1 ECU or a Baumannator.

A majority of people just get a manual valve body and shift it themselves.

I SUCK!

Formerly "syberstang"
Established Member
that is the cooliest thing I have seen in a long time . just might try that on my cobra . people around my neck of the woods would freek out .

MustangMikeKy

Whippled L
Established Member
I would love to do it, mainly for the launching ability . . . but I could go twin disk clutch for much cheaper . . . :rockon:

if there was a cheaper solution, i would def look into it . . .

99Blkcobravert

Established Member
I have the 4R70W built and am looking into computer controllers. The Baumanator looks good, but how about the PCS unit or CompuShift? Any thoughts on these other units?

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
This thread is for putting any 4R70W tranny in your terminator. The Lentech tranny I installed has the same case as the Mach 1 tranny. My tranny is good to 1000hp, lifetime warranty.

All 2002+ 4R70W have the latest and greatest components (sun gear, diode blah blah). If you want to put it in your car, it will work fine. I am curious to see how the automatic valvebody would respond to a 03 cobra computer though. He he...

Your best bet would be to swap everything, use my wiring harness instructions, buy a good aftermarket converter, manual valve body, and keep the car at 500 hp or less.

incorrect all 2000+ autos have upgraded parts. All autos Pre 2000 are total GARBAGE! Stock 4R70W can handle 700RWHP stock with a tranny cooler.

99Blkcobravert

Established Member
4R70W capacity

Just remember that like the T-56 (5th & 6th gears) you can't run WOT in 4th (OD); it puts too much load on the tranny in overdrive.

I have the Baumannator in and working well in mine for fully automatic shifting. Never miss a shift again!

sloganish

Established Member
Just remember that like the T-56 (5th & 6th gears) you can't run WOT in 4th (OD); it puts too much load on the tranny in overdrive.

I have the Baumannator in and working well in mine for fully automatic shifting. Never miss a shift again!

how high does 3rd gear go mph wise?

anyone else running a STOCK 4r70w?

Users who are viewing this thread