BOSS and a Mazdaspeed 3 that would not leave me alone...

the_jester_812

garage racer
Established Member
Ivr heard of folks bending rods during all types if driving conditions. Zoom Zoom BOOM!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

i heard some of that too but i dismissed it as internet gossip. i had mine running off a MBC at 21psi and had no problems whatsoever. i was seeing full boost at 2300rpms. I was tuned with the Cobb accessport. fully bolted including a streetunit rear engine mount. which almost eliminated the wheel hop. i could talk about this car all day but im kinda threat jacking. sorry

ArabianOak

Established Member
I remember reading that they arent reliably at all even at stock. Engines blowing up!
However, I have seen some that run pretty damn fast! I always wondered how my 335i fared against one stock for stock.

Good kill O.P, i wonder if you were stock, how close would the race be

I would have still murdered him pretty badly, just not as badly.

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
I wouldn't call the speed 3 a waste of gas. there are a lot more of us out there now running big turbos and E85. Like any car just need to run into the right one :)

and there are plenty of V8's running big turbos and E85.(1000rwhp+) your power is ALL turbo and no brains. anyone can boost. ricer for you.

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
Ivr heard of folks bending rods during all types if driving conditions. Zoom Zoom BOOM!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

100 percent true. designed for stockish power.

MazdaSpeed 2.3L DISI Turbo Blown Engine Resource Thread - Mazdaspeed Forums

heard a small pop a few days ago. Engine light came on car seemed fine, turned it off and on light want off thought it was just a backfire. So today going down 95 @77 mph, by Philli accelerated heard the pop again this time louder and lots of smoke. Lost power but the car kept moving, drove to the local dealer where it was pronounced DOA. Blown motor.

CP-E MZR DISI 2.3 HPFpump™
CP-E MazdaSPEED3 3" SS Downpipe
CP-E flashed computer with CP-E Standback
Cold air intake
Lowered a bit
sway bars

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Shit man! that blown motor thread is an EPIC FAIL! Talk about JUNK!
Even at stock or semi stock power, there were some threads about it. One guy said he hardly beat it and gave it gas on 6th gear to quickly pass someone, next thing you know, zoom zoom BOOM! I wonder how many owners got their warranties revoked with lil mods before their engine gave out. Some guy said he had taken his resignators off only when it blew up on him and had it towed to the dealer. Was mad when the dealer said they wouldn't warranty it because of the "mods", car also had 30k or so miles.

Car is like a ticking bomb as soon as you drive it off the dealer. Great lil cars for those who it lasted to :beer:

the_jester_812

garage racer
Established Member
Even at stock or semi stock power, there were some threads about it. One guy said he hardly beat it and gave it gas on 6th gear to quickly pass someone, next thing you know, zoom zoom BOOM! I wonder how many owners got their warranties revoked with lil mods before their engine gave out. Some guy said he had taken his resignators off only when it blew up on him and had it towed to the dealer. Was mad when the dealer said they wouldn't warranty it because of the "mods", car also had 30k or so miles.

Car is like a ticking bomb as soon as you drive it off the dealer. Great lil cars for those who it lasted to :beer:

i must have gotten one of the good ones cuz i beat the sit out of mine at waaay above stock boost with downpipe, race pipe, fuel cut defender, cobb accessport, cold air intake and turbo inlet. never had the smoking turbo problem nor any bent rods. and she ran like a raped ape. but i also had read enough about them to know NOT to boost too high at too low an RPM. that tiny turbo would spool super fast.

ArabianOak

Established Member

dam! what a pos!

DirtyMcArthur

BIG RED
Established Member
To turn 8200 RPMs, you'd need a lot more than valve springs. With the amount of heat from friction, those aluminum head would start warping, an intense cooling system would be in desperate need. Not to mention forged internals (connecting rods, crank, and some upgraded pistons) otherwise the risk of throwing a rod through the block would be way too common

Jroc

Established Member
To turn 8200 RPMs, you'd need a lot more than valve springs. With the amount of heat from friction, those aluminum head would start warping, an intense cooling system would be in desperate need. Not to mention forged internals (connecting rods, crank, and some upgraded pistons) otherwise the risk of throwing a rod through the block would be way too common

People are doing it. Look at what the new GT500's are turning. They redline at 7,000 RPM's with a 4.165" stroke which will have a much higher piston speed at any given RPM than a Coyote/Roadrunner.

Besides a Boss 302's motor is fully forged and will support a whole shit load of HP.
2012 Boss 302 Vortech Supercharger Install - Monster Synergy - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

EDIT:
See video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkmdJ4H16TM

Last edited:

speed3

Established Member
Shit man! that blown motor thread is an EPIC FAIL! Talk about JUNK!

most of the blown motors were the first gen models. Now as a rule of thumb motor mount and tune are the first mods. The engine in the car is definitely picky but quite fun as well. I myself am running a gtx3071 r turbo supporting mods and 3 gallons of e making close to 400whp and 400wtq for well over a year on stock engine internals. Like any car tune is the most important mod.

Users who are viewing this thread