Breathers....

TnPaulMan

Banned
I have just run a hose down to the bottom of the car from the drivers side valve cover. Delk Performance says that they have been doing it all the time and it eliminates the smell from the engine bay and keeps it cleaner. They don't look as pretty but it is functional. I haven't had one lick of problems.

And it is reversable for sure. Just pull the nipple off the intake manifold, reconnect the PCV hose, reset the computer and be done with it.

I am gonna get the breathers done eventually mainly for looks. May go with the JLT RAI too. Probably do both at the same time.

To be totally fair, I did feel a significant vacuum on the intake manifold but it also was cured by plugging it. That vacuum being pulled at idle convinced me to get rid of it. I saw tons of oil in my intake and I did not like it at all.

Paul

CY98Cobra

Established Member
REX-RACER said:
Gee, has the temperature gone up in here??? :pop:

Actually I kind of think what was mentioned about the oil mist coming out of a breather and getting on the engine bay might be the best reason to run the Steeda oil seperator. Oil mist on the engine bay + road dirt = grime that I don't want to have to clean off the valve covers, intake hat, etc. At least the oil seperator will maintain all of that in a closed loop and I could just dump it back into the crank case. :idea:

i haven't ever had any oil mist on my valve covers. i think the breather catches all the oil becuase mine is black now. i need to clean it.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
lemosley01 said:
Hey quadcammer - any particular brand or color you prefer? Should we spring for the $100 Polo socks, or are the Hanes cheapies OK?

I would think yellow socks would be preferred since we all know that is a guaranteed 50HP gain...

(j/k, although I am trying to get over the picture of having two socks in my engine bay!)
motor_2.jpg

It does look THAT weird now does it :-D

LaserCobra 98

Established Member
I'm venting to the atmosphere now. :fart:
Capped off that recirculator inlet and turned the blow-off hose backwards so it blows away from the filter. At idle that thing kicks out tons of air. (kinda off topic...)
Anyways, all I need now are the two breather filters. Already bought the rubber caps to cover the various holes left over.
Can't wait.

"SNAKIE"

Established Member
TnPaulMan said:
You do realize that you aren't bypassing the PCV right? Most of the oil that gets sucked into the intake is on the drivers side. You should throw another breather on that valve cover if that is your goal.

Paul
werd! :dw:

"SNAKIE"

Established Member
Snake Eyes said:
I will snap a few pictures tomorrow.

As for sealing off the air intake tube (for those with out a JLT) and the manifold. You just go and get a set of vacuum caps. They are available at any auto parts store for a few bucks. I will point them out in the pictures.
cant wait for the pics

yo Quadcammer do u have any better pics without the light glare?

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
TnPaulMan said:
You do realize that you aren't bypassing the PCV right? Most of the oil that gets sucked into the intake is on the drivers side. You should throw another breather on that valve cover if that is your goal.

Paul

ill be getting a BREATHER and some Vaccum caps tommorrow. :banana:

Last edited:

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Hay guys, sorry but getting some pics... Not likely, as my car is currently berried under 3 inches of snow with more comming. It just came down last night and the worst part is the first of it was rain that froze on contact so there is a layer of ice under the snow. My engine looks similar to 01BlueCOBRA's except I have breathers on both sides. So all you Cali and Texas guys, pity me... This is the first snow fall of the year here in Nebraska. It was the first time in recorded history that there was no snow in December. I was hoping to make it through the entire winter but guess not. :cryying: :mj:

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Snake Eyes said:
Hay guys, sorry but getting some pics... Not likely, as my car is currently berried under 3 inches of snow with more comming. It just came down last night and the worst part is the first of it was rain that froze on contact so there is a layer of ice under the snow. My engine looks similar to 01BlueCOBRA's except I have breathers on both sides. So all you Cali and Texas guys, pity me... This is the first snow fall of the year here in Nebraska. It was the first time in recorded history that there was no snow in December. I was hoping to make it through the entire winter but guess not. :cryying: :mj:

It may sound weird, and you may already know this living where you live, but it's better to have the rain freeze on your car first and then the snow on top especially if the temp drops sharply. The ice and snow will act as an insulator agains the cold air, kinda like the air will freeze the snow and ice rather than your car.

Sometimes fruit farmers will hose down their fruit trees if there is a late frost while the fruit is still on the vine/tree. That way the water freezes instead of the fruit and the ice forms a protective coat so the cold air doesn't ruin the fruit.

Of course I'm sure you'd rather have a garage either way! :(

chuckstang

Established Member
I dont see how you would need 2 breathers?? The only place I see one is on the passenger side valve cover. ?? The oil cap on the driver side is not the same or needed right?

Snake Eyes

Established Member
chuckstang: In the picture I circled the PCV valve and tube. You place a breather in place of the PCV valve on the valve cover and cap the intake manifold.
pcv.jpg

REX-RACER: Yeah I know, but if it was only snow I would consider brushing the car off and popping the hood to snap a picture for everyone. With the ice I am not even going to risk ripping the molding or chipping the paint.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
SNAKIE said:
cant wait for the pics

yo Quadcammer do u have any better pics without the light glare?
if you mean the motor, there is this one
shows the breathers pretty well
12703new_motor-med.JPG

Last edited:

NXSVTCOBRA

i'll post up a pic of the undeside of my upper intake, and top of the lower later on looks worse than the one earlier

Last edited by a moderator:

Mach0ne351

Established Member
here are the breathers installed....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

next comes what i saw on the intake manifold after i took off the upper intake.....you will see why to get the breather caps on......

-marek

Users who are viewing this thread