buddy grenaded his motor

1320 Junkie

Established Member
i'm curious why you so those are mistakes. are you inferring that he should've ****ed the dealership over and tried to get an engine under warranty, because he decided to mod his engine and throw a rod out the block?

as has been said, he really should've had an engine built for that much cash. MMR could build him an absolutely STACKED long block for $20k.

because his dumb ass TRIED to get it covered, does that make sense to you, doesnt to me. Plus the dealership wouldnt have gotten screwed over, they actally would have loved to warranty his motor, they get paid from ford to do the labor not cover the parts, thats fords job if they would have so chosen. But, I would have handled it much differently...not going to tell you what i would have done or how i would have accomplished it but i would have been much more successful than he was.

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Apparently your buddy has unlimited funds . Why let the dealer install a new motor? Your friend should go to a mustang professional builder like mmr and have 1 Built for half that price. It will make more power and will withstand his need to thrash!!

Apparently, i recommended MMR...his words not mine...and i gaurantee u will make the same face i did ..." I want it to keep its value by having factory parts" ....go ahead, laugh...just like i did.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I love how people get all up in arms when it seems like a "customer" is trying to get over on a "dealer".

The same pinion bearing ford sells for $147.00 is available at autozone for $15.99!!

Where's your boo hoo last hurrah for us? There's a reason they are nicknamed stealerships. Bring you car in unmodded and Fk Em. Shouldn't have skimped on rods in a 65k car. For christ's sake the 03-04's had better rods at 1/2 the price damn near. And i don't care the tit for tat on the two cars...just stating a fact.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
That sucks. Venting a new GT500 motor will ruin your day.

I personally would get a good and knowledge 5.4 engine builder to build me a good 5.8 for my car as opposed to buying another factory production motor. As good, and strong as the factory boosted Modulars are, and good builder can build you a much better motor to fit the specific setup you wish to go with.

You have to think a motor with a 4.165" stroke revving at 7,200 RPM's is pushing some extremely fast piston speeds. Even with over a .500" shorter stroke a Boss 302's Roadrunner motor is only turning 7500 RPM's at redline(lol, I said only turning 7500 RPM's)

mike69440

Established Member
Dentonation and boost

Sounds fishy. I can't see just 3° of timing blowing an engine that bad. What else was was done to the car?

I can see this happening. A 4th gear pull is a fair amount of time in the throttle.

I fried a Denso Irriduim plug during the top end of a 4th gear pull.

01stallion

ford guy
Established Member
I love how people get all up in arms when it seems like a "customer" is trying to get over on a "dealer".

The same pinion bearing ford sells for $147.00 is available at autozone for $15.99!!

Where's your boo hoo last hurrah for us? There's a reason they are nicknamed stealerships. Bring you car in unmodded and Fk Em. Shouldn't have skimped on rods in a 65k car. For christ's sake the 03-04's had better rods at 1/2 the price damn near. And i don't care the tit for tat on the two cars...just stating a fact.

Agreed

sent from, someone buy me a clutch..

91svtbird

Established Member
Not what i was told by Jimmy Larocca, but he could be wrong. They should have came in the shelby motors too. If it wasnt such a PITA i would have H-beams put into my motor but ill just wait til i grenande the damn thing...Hmmmm, winter project for L&M engines, lol

They use Manley H-beams in the CJs and the FRPP shortblocks.

The original 2008 FR500CJ had the same stock powder forged rods used in the GT500. All they changed was a few things like a SFI crankshaft damper , TVS blower, FRPP -AR headers,AC delete, Ford CJ throttle body, 80lb injectors, CJ cold air kit and of course a Ford Racing tune. They buzzed them at 7000RPM. The Super Cobra Jet and years succeeding they upped the power and switched to the Manley rods like in the 2010SCJ engine's.

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
The original 2008 FR500CJ had the same stock powder forged rods used in the GT500. All they changed was a few things like a SFI crankshaft damper , TVS blower, FRPP -AR headers,AC delete, Ford CJ throttle body, 80lb injectors, CJ cold air kit and of course a Ford Racing tune. They buzzed them at 7000RPM. The Super Cobra Jet and years succeeding they upped the power and switched to the Manley rods like in the 2010SCJ engine's.

Looks like both are correct.

91svtbird

Established Member
Looks like both are correct.

I believe the point being made about the 2008 CJ's using stock rods was that at that power level they could indeed endure shifting at 7000RPM's which is why Ford allows the 13's to red line there as long as the tune is done correctly of course. (Note: they were never meant to run at 7000rpm indefinitely though but then aren't ever in a drag racing app anyway) If detonation occurs for any reason (IE: too much timing) the rods won't live long in that environment.(edit: even Manley rods for that matter)

Last edited:

Bowtie-X

Oh No.. not a NOOB again.
Established Member
The GT500 has a forged crankshaft, forged pistons and the "pseudo forged rods also known as powder forged. These rods are unquestionably the weak link in the GT500 motor. They are not the 4340 forged rods that the terminators came with.

Powdered rods also come in a genesis coupe LOL, if that mean anything. First time hearing about powdered metal but if true I would say op's story could be true.

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

NA_Cobra

Established Member
The GT500 has a forged crankshaft, forged pistons and the "pseudo forged rods also known as powder forged. These rods are unquestionably the weak link in the GT500 motor. They are not the 4340 forged rods that the terminators came with.

Are you speaking about the '07-12 GT500 or the '13 GT500?

Users who are viewing this thread