Buying my first gun. which of these 3 should i get? (Hi-Point)

oilwell1415

Established Member
Since the obviously direct route hasn't worked, think of it like this: With a Hi Point you aren't getting a cheap gun, you are getting a damn expensive club. A Hi Point is the absolute worst way for you to waste your money on a gun. Even if it does manage to go bang when needed it will probably explode sending shrapnel in your general direction. Assuming it goes bang and doesn't explode the chances that it hit what you were aiming at are basically zero, so you'll need to shoot again. Too bad it's a Hi Point and doesn't extract, eject, or feed on its own so you'll have a pissed off bad guy stomping your guts out while you try to figure out why the club you bought won't shoot bullets. The only reason anyone has ever carried a Hi Point is in case they shoot someone and need a throw down gun. They are shit. If that's the best you can do for a first gun you will be better off without one. You should buy a slingshot instead.

GodStang

Established Member
Have any of yall owned a High Point or do yall just like spouting off stuff yall have read? We have the High Point 9mm while its not the top gun it has worked for us. Nice to see everyone on here are gun experts and millionaires and can afford the top guns at moments notice.

Now we did pay like $50 for it so its not a huge loss for us. Also not our primary handgun.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Have any of yall owned a High Point or do yall just like spouting off stuff yall have read? We have the High Point 9mm while its not the top gun it has worked for us. Nice to see everyone on here are gun experts and millionaires and can afford the top guns at moments notice.

Now we did pay like $50 for it so its not a huge loss for us. Also not our primary handgun.

From post #3 ...

+1 ^^^

I used to have the 9mm and it truely was a cheap gun. I hated it. Also, that price is really high. You can buy them for around $100. I would recommend you keep saving and invest in something thats quality you can trust your life with.

hb712

Established Member

Yes. I have owned a few and shot a lot of them, every single one has malfunctioned at very low round counts. The design is outdated, the manufacturing methods are poor, and the quality control seems nonexistent.

oilwell1415

Established Member

Some things you don't need to own to know how bad they are. There was one of them in my CCW class. The guy that had it couldn't put a round on the paper from 5 yrds with it and had to hand cycle it almost every time. It didn't take long for the instructor to notice and go see what the problem was. When he found out it was a Hi Point they removed the gun from the range. The student borrowed a Glock to finish the course. He was actually shooting decent groups and had no more function problems. I had always heard horror stories, but this was the first time I had actually seen a Hi Point perform in person. I have since noticed that some ranges have actually banned them because they are not safe.

LOL at being millionaires. You can buy a really good handgun for under $500. I put my first gun on layaway and paid it off over time. If you want something to protect yourself and your family you will find a way to come up with the money. If your financial priorities do not include buying a good gun, they certainly shouldn't include wasting money on a POS gun. If you need it and it doesn't work you've only put yourself in a worse position than you started in.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
crazy how theres so many different opinions. i just watched like 20 videos on youtube of the 45 and 9 by hipoint. and they were all positive.

i like the 9 because its smaller.. how much weaker is the 9 compared to the 45?

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
crazy how theres so many different opinions. i just watched like 20 videos on youtube of the 45 and 9 by hipoint. and they were all positive.

i like the 9 because its smaller.. how many weaker is the 9 compared to the 45?

how many weaker? maybe you should just buy a knife instead, lol :poke:

cartridge_1_500.jpg

Last edited:

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
i plan to carry whatever gun i buy concealed with a permit.

i can carry it as long as its completely hidden on me right? so having a holster on my side wouldnt work even if my shirt is covering it? i was gonna look for a holster with straps that will strap around my thigh since i usually wear shorts that are a little bit loose. is there a specific name for them? i found a few that wrap around your shoulder but i dont want one of those. if i plan to hide it then maybe the 9 would be best for me.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

First off, you dont need to be a millionaire to spend $500 on a good quality handgun. Second, most of the people that have posted know exactly what they are talking about. I was a Federal Firearms Instructor and I can tell you the components of the High Point are cheap and not made well. While it may suit the purposes for target shooting, I would not recommend one for personal protection.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
Gotta say that i got the .380 hipoint in with a trade ( got it for free ) and it is the biggest pos i have ever seen. It jams about every other round. People laugh when they see it in my gun safe next to real pistols. But we all gotta start somewhere.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
thanks.

so i'm thinking i should get a 9 to carry with me since they're smaller.
and maybe a 45 to keep in my house because the ones i've looked at are big.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
If you don't want to spend alot, try ruger. Not the best, but is a hell of alot better than a hipoint. Just a suggestion.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
First gun? I recommend buying a good quality .357magnum revolver. Why?

1. Safer and more reliable than semi-automatic firearm
2. No safeties to forget or fumble
3. Practice with .38 special ammo, use .357 mag for self-defense

PM sent with links to safety and marksmanship materials I used when teaching.

Harry
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
thanks.

so i'm thinking i should get a 9 to carry with me since they're smaller.
and maybe a 45 to keep in my house because the ones i've looked at are big.

Dude ****ing listen shit, Hi-points are POS, I just picked up a Glock 22 Gen4 for $398 out the door and there reliable as hell and I have very very tight groups with it and i can ccw it all day....GT-distributors.com has awesome deals.

oilwell1415

Established Member
Another option might be to buy a truck load of gravel and just grab a handful to put in your pocket when you leave in the morning. That would be way cheaper than Hi Point, would actually be affective against an attacker, and doesn't require a license to carry.

I know it's a silly idea, but you aren't listening anyway so wtf?

SVTFeltonPA

Established Member
Glock 22 .40 cal and call it a day..best gun for the money imo
if your so hard up about saving money just go out and get a
shotgun from walmart..like one other posters said is your life
worth a few hundred bucks that you would save??..Get a reliable
gun!!!!reguardless off the caliber!!

black 10th vert

Established Member
Since the obviously direct route hasn't worked, think of it like this: With a Hi Point you aren't getting a cheap gun, you are getting a damn expensive club. A Hi Point is the absolute worst way for you to waste your money on a gun. Even if it does manage to go bang when needed it will probably explode sending shrapnel in your general direction. Assuming it goes bang and doesn't explode the chances that it hit what you were aiming at are basically zero, so you'll need to shoot again. Too bad it's a Hi Point and doesn't extract, eject, or feed on its own so you'll have a pissed off bad guy stomping your guts out while you try to figure out why the club you bought won't shoot bullets. The only reason anyone has ever carried a Hi Point is in case they shoot someone and need a throw down gun. They are shit. If that's the best you can do for a first gun you will be better off without one. You should buy a slingshot instead.

:lol: funniest damn post I have read in awhile! Thanks for the morning laughs!:-D

Users who are viewing this thread