Crown Vic Police Interceptor Specs?

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
My buddy is thinking about getting a retired Police Cruiser when he finally gets rid of his truck. He's convinced that the come with Cobra engines. Now I'm sure they are moddified to an extent. But I highly doubt they come with the 4V Cobra engine. But just out of curiosity, what are the performance differences between a stock, factory Crown Vic and a Police Interceptor? What mods? Any HP/TQ numbers? Thanks for the info guys.

Whizzle

Established Member
Theyre beat to hell and back if hes taking that into the equation

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Some agencies did aftermarket work to some of their vehicles specifically for details. But otherwise, they have very few mods and only 5 more BHP than a normal C.V.

If he can find a good detectives car, it is worth buying.

KenneBellGT87

Banned
i thought they have like weight reduction and shit like that. kinda off topic but at the station by my house my buddy is a cop there and they have like undercover vettes and mustangs that are supercharged and the whole 9 yards.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
C.V.P.I.'s actually weigh more. A lot of agencies have U.C. cars that serves many purposes, from high end luxury cars to pursuit vehicles. On the Federal side we get to use seized vehicles for 364 days before they are disposed of. I have had some very high end vehicles in my driveway that I got to use for extended periods of time thanks to various felons.

KenneBellGT87

Banned
FordSVTFan said:
C.V.P.I.'s actually weigh more. A lot of agencies have U.C. cars that serves many purposes, from high end luxury cars to pursuit vehicles. On the Federal side we get to use seized vehicles for 364 days before they are disposed of. I have had some very high end vehicles in my driveway that I got to use for extended periods of time thanks to various felons.
thats kinda cool. what kind of rides were they?

FordSVTFan

Established Member
The vehicles I mentioned were seized and forfeited as part of the perps arrest and conviction or as part of a govt. deal.

jshen

Established Member
I cannot think of a worse purchase than a used police cars..and used confiscated cars...They are typically sold at auction. Anything that is worth a crap is kept until it's not worth a crap..Tis the way government works. One of our fellas drives an 87 Grand National...nice car but he rags the hell out of it. By the way, you might think about this...under cover cars are used around the least desirable people..and when they remember a car as being a UC car...it is sold..Does dude on street know it's no longer a Narc's car???

Remember Smokey and the Bandit 1? All the Chrysler cars with the hood scoops came from my PD- Dekalb County in Atlanta..We ragged them out long before they were trashed in the movie..

jshen

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
The vehicles I mentioned were seized and forfeited as part of the perps arrest and conviction or as part of a govt. deal.

Yeah Adam...you guys get the good cars and leave us the trash..:-D :poke:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
jshen said:
Yeah Adam...you guys get the good cars and leave us the trash..:-D :poke:

I would definitely agree with that. It is because we deal with a different level of scumbag :D

Juiced-03

Established Member
Gringo185 said:
My buddy is thinking about getting a retired Police Cruiser when he finally gets rid of his truck. He's convinced that the come with Cobra engines. Now I'm sure they are moddified to an extent. But I highly doubt they come with the 4V Cobra engine. But just out of curiosity, what are the performance differences between a stock, factory Crown Vic and a Police Interceptor? What mods? Any HP/TQ numbers? Thanks for the info guys.

You can check out Ebay to see a bunch of retired Crown Vics for sale. The only cruiser I know of that had a 4v engine was the Mercury Marauder. The Crown Vic has the 2v 4.6 SOHC. I have seen some Crown Vics with different suspension setups and beefier electrical systems. If you pop the hood of a CHP Crown Vic they actually have aftermarket alternators and Street Wires distribution blocks and wiring. I heard they might have some various cooling modifications as well.

SpeedOften

Established Member
I thought the police interceptor package was basically a Mustang GT motor of the corresponding year.. b/c the P/I's had dual exhaust while the base engine in the Crown vic's 'Y''d into 1... Along with the gearing and the upgraded Alt, and a transmission oil cooler...?

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Here's the best solution for a civilian car. Get a 2003+ Crown Victoria with the Handling/Performance Package which is a P74 instead of a P71 Interceptor. You're getting the dual exhaust, 3.27 rear, revised springs, shocks, larger anti-sway bars and the air suspension. The engine and transmission is basically the same as the Interceptor and both the P71 and P74 get the 11.25" torque convertor.

The main differences are the P74 comes with silencers on the tailpipes (which can be cut off), P71 comes with slightly more aggressive programming (higher top speed and harder shifts) and HD rear coil springs and a higher ride height. Also, 2004+ CVPI come with the Marauder airbox. That Mercury airbox can be fitted, however to a P74 with a little modification. To find a P74, first look for the dual exhaust pipes and then look at the rear suspension. You'll see those cup-style air springs you see on dump trucks and such. You can load several hundred pounds in that trunk and it ride just as flat as it would unloaded.

I have been very happy with my Crown Vic HPP. It accelerates and handles surprisingly well. The engine, transmission and rear axle are about the same as the 99-04 Mustang GT automatics and the HPP bangs off some pretty solid shifts and moves out solidly well. It also has a pleasantly firm ride...not the floaty ride of the standard Vic. I've owned nothing but Mustangs for 14 years prior to selling my 01 Cobra and getting the Vic. It does everything very well and I can get high 20s in mileage on the highway.

As for acceleration, look over on youtube.com for a Crown Vic Sport video. Its basically a P74 HPP with 17 inch wheels and a console shifter as opposed to the column shifter. The guy who posted the video does a 0-70 run and a 70-100 run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAyjxqa_omc&mode=related&search=

This one above is the 0-70. Not sure about his music selection but you can see it picks up a pretty good head of steam and mine accelerates about the same from what I can tell. Also note that his tank is about full. The Vic has a 19 gal tank.

Last edited:

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Thanks for the info/opinions guys. I'll let him know. He's just looking for something cheap to get him out of his Sport Trac. He's trying his damnedest to get rid of it, but it's just not selling (even for WAY under value). I'll let him know what you guys said. Thanks again.

bmnlsc

FlyinPig
Established Member
My agency gives up our vehicles, regardless of mileage after 3 years of service. If anyone is going to purchase a CVPI, I would consider the following: make sure the CVPI came from a federal agency as opposed to State or Local PD. Most of these cruisers are left running while sitting and in between shifts. This equals alot more internal wear and tear. Federal CVPIs are used less frequently, primarily depending on the agency. CVPIs are basically the same as any CV with the following exceptions: dual exhaust, tranny and oil cooler, bucket seats and rubber floors (unless special ordered with the bench seat and carpet - usually associated with Uppermanagement vehicles). The other notable differences will be the Heavy Duty Frame, Stiffer Springs, 200 amp alternator and just to clear the air with most if not all the differences CVPIs come with a 78amp battery, but the odds that the stock battery will still be in the one you buy is 50/50. The motor is the same as any other CV or Grand Marquis.

1999 CVPIs were quicker 0-60 (3.27 gearing). 2000 CVPIs came with the better driveshaft (Metal Matrix) and 3.55 gearing). 2001+ CVPIs came with higher HP ratings due to the PI heads.

The heavy duty components for the CVPIs were made to last up to 300,000 miles. I have a 2005 CVPI that I drive while at work and I own a 2000 CVPI, once owned by the EPA.

If you need more information on the CVPI, I would recommend visiting Crownvic.net. (Sorry mods if you don't like advertising other websites, but it deals with the topic of the thread).

BMN

jshen said:
I cannot think of a worse purchase than a used police cars..and used confiscated cars...They are typically sold at auction. Anything that is worth a crap is kept until it's not worth a crap..Tis the way government works. One of our fellas drives an 87 Grand National...nice car but he rags the hell out of it. By the way, you might think about this...under cover cars are used around the least desirable people..and when they remember a car as being a UC car...it is sold..Does dude on street know it's no longer a Narc's car???

Remember Smokey and the Bandit 1? All the Chrysler cars with the hood scoops came from my PD- Dekalb County in Atlanta..We ragged them out long before they were trashed in the movie..

Last edited:

bmnlsc

FlyinPig
Established Member
If you are wanting a great used CVPI I would purchase one from " copcarsonline " on ebay. My buddy just purchased a 2005 from him with the Street Appearance Package. It has less than 36,000 miles on it and it looks like it came off the dealership floor. I only see two reputable dealers that I would purchase from on Ebay, the other is " In-pursuit ". A co-worker purchased one from him. His vehicles are CHP vehicles and usually have over 100,000 miles. He normally paints them all black.

jshen said:

Users who are viewing this thread