Disappointed in my cars performance

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Check the connections, there have been many cases of loose fitting intermittent connections lately.

If you saw coolant movement, you most likely have the air out and the pump is just not running sometimes.

If it was me I would replace it at the first sign of trouble.

gksingh

Established Member
Your pushing to much Heat through the Motor, ontop of that you got a Pump that turns on and off.

First thing is what Jimmy Said, Change the Pump

Next of, get rid of that 6lb lower and throw on a number 4 and retune

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
If you drove to the track and didn't let the car cool all the way down and ran it more than likely it was pulling a bunch of timing also. That pulley combo is on the verge of needing ice in a IC tank on every run imo or it needs an hour in between runs to cool down. Even then it can't sit and idle in the staging lanes because it'll heat right back up before you make a pass. So if you ran the car hot it's going to mph less. I run a 2.9/6lb combo so I know how fast that blower can get hot.

Just something else to consider.

prostkr

Established Member
If it broke a chain. The first thing to do is compression and leak down test. Depending on the pistons the valves will hit. Sounds like you might have tweaked the valves.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Your pushing to much Heat through the Motor, ontop of that you got a Pump that turns on and off.

First thing is what Jimmy Said, Change the Pump

Next of, get rid of that 6lb lower and throw on a number 4 and retune

^ THIS

Get a 4lb lower or get a killer chiller or do both. Thats the only way your going to help with heat soak. Like said before, way too much heat being pushed into the motor, and all your timing/power is being pulled.

I bet it felt like it was running like a damn golf cart

Last edited:

Kwik03DSG

Established Member

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Call Steve @ Tousley here's their number 1-800-328-9552. Pretty sure it's $88 plus shipping which won't be much at all.

oldmodman

Established Member
In your first post you said;

"I had a buddy set the timing on it so I dunno if its right...Are these motors non tolerance or can they be out of time causing the lose in power?"

The DOHC Modular motor is VERY sensitive to being incorrectly timed.
It's not terribly difficult to do, you just need to have a good manual to work from. The Ford factory manual is good, but so is the Hyland manual.

Incorrect cam timing is why some motors are "freaks" when stock. And some were down as much as 35hp. Of course, if it's off a mile it may even backfire and possibly let the pistons smack into the valves.

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
Call Steve @ Tousley here's their number 1-800-328-9552. Pretty sure it's $88 plus shipping which won't be much at all.

Last time I called steve, the pumps were on a 3 month backorder because FRPP and and a few other companies bought a shit-ton of the pumps. They might be in stock now. Doesn't hurt to give them a call..

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
Yea when I first crank it up in the morning it has a really bad miss/hestitation in it till about 1/2 throttle till it gets up in temp then it smoothes out.......?

you said you see 20psi on your boost gauge, do you still have cats? that will cause major issues when one is plugged, it will make see more boost bc the exhaust cant move out fast enough so you get to much back pressure and it will make it miss.

Spoolx

Established Member
Sounds like you need to get it to the tuner... dont understand why your out running it while its running like shit.

prostkr

Established Member
Do a compression test as I first said. If its off bank to bank then you have your answer. It is free to do.

Users who are viewing this thread