Distilled, Drinking, or Deionized?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, I guess I'll throw my 2cents into the ring too...

On the sub we would distill seawater, boiling it and condensing the steam, thus purifying it for drinking by removing all the various minerals and whatnot.
THEN we would pass the distilled water through a de-ionizer (a resin bed to remove the remaining ions).
I imagine civilian world DI water is produced in a similar fashion. Otherwise you would use up your DI resin fairly quickly, depending on how "dirty" your supply water is.

So your distilled water is the first "filtration" process, then deionization is the "fine filtering", so to speak.

However, the DI will strip ions from whatever you put it next to. So once you pour it into / mix it with anything, it is no longer "de-ionized".

:beer:

Thank you for that additional info. By the way, where was your sub stationed?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
deionized water is more applicable for glass than metal. I can't see the use of deionized water being more beneficial than purified water. plus with the solution of a 50/50 mix, the water should lose it's most prevalent corrosive properties anyways. plus I gotta ask- OP why are you so concerned? are you noticing corrosion?

Riptide

Established Member
Is the info in this thread pertinent to other systems or just the terminator? I had no idea the terminator in particular was prone towards these types of corrosion problems.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Ok here is what I know about it.

I Work On large comercial Lasers with cooling systems. Plus tons of past history with parts washing before painting. Total of 25+ years. I wont get into the tech aspect but Distilled is the best DI in a pinch dont use the RO its a very hungry water lets say but very pure thats why its hungry water. They use RO in some final stages and use DI as final rinse but rust will happen very quick if you use just RO

Anyway on the 6000 watt lasers cutting systems I work on. They can cut threw 1.5 thick steel with a light beam. I never get tired of watching. But the systems always want to use Distilled. They used to use DI but had problems with build up. Now they use Distilled and a additives that use nitrates that stop corrosion some of same stuff in prestone or others.

To take the info for what its worth.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Is the info in this thread pertinent to other systems or just the terminator? I had no idea the terminator in particular was prone towards these types of corrosion problems.

Almost all modern vehicles have aluminum radiators and heater cores. So yes.

Once an antifreeze water mixture is 3 or 4 years old, long life coolant or not, it's time to think about getting it out of there and putting in fresh. IMHO.

Riptide

Established Member
Thanks Jim but the terminator is even more sensitive to these corrosion issues than a newer GT for instance. Correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

Riptide

Established Member
I was hoping to get away with running 100% distilled water with maybe some water wetter additive. During the summer.

I don't want to take chances on ruining intercoolers/heat exchangers. So it looks like this idea is off the table and I'll have to stick with the 70/30 mix kenne bell recommends in their instructions. Disappointing but I guess if I want better IATs I'll have to upgrade the heat exchanger.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Thank you for that additional info. By the way, where was your sub stationed?

I was an electrician on the USS Alabama, SSBN 731 (blue crew), out of Bangor WA from 1989 to 1997. It wasn't just a job, it was an adventure... or something like that :)

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Riptide

Established Member
I'm skeptical as well. All I can say in their defense is that I have read of people running 90/10 mixtures or 100% water + additives with aluminum in the picture and claims of no problems with corrosion. Maybe the terminator really is that much more prone to this issue than other cars? Maybe these people are full of crap? I don't know.

Another thing Whipple recommends 25% and KB 30% coolant and distilled water in their intercooler mixtures. This is significantly less than 50/50 and yet we don't see a lot of posts about leaky heat exchangers, etc..

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The different water characteristics are what they are.

Recommendations from various sources do not change the characteristics of the different water types.

The corrosive action is different between the water types and is pretty easy to verify it's validity.

The choice is yours.

Users who are viewing this thread