Don't leave acetylene bottles in your vehicle!

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Still calling BS

[youtube_browser]uUmLe9WCXX0[/youtube_browser]

E

That's an explosion helped by a tank big enough for welding.

MSHA - Safety Hazard Information - Special Hazards of Acetylene

Ease of ignition: Acetylene is a very easy gas to ignite. In fact, the energy from a static spark capable of igniting acetylene is lower than for any other fuel gas except hydrogen. The ignition energy of acetylene in air is approximately seventeen times lower than that of methane. The static charge developed by walking across a carpet floor on a dry day can be 1700 times greater than that needed to ignite acetylene. When mixed with pure oxygen, the ignition energy of acetylene is almost 100 times lower than it is in air.

From the dude himself:

insurance most likely will cover the damage, the bottle wasnt large enough to be covered under the highway and transport act... its a small (18 inch by 6 inch round vessel) used by plumbers every day. the worst part, we ALL just put it in the trunk, backseat, rear of our vehicles...

It's feasible that there wasn't enough to char the vehicle, but just enough to create that kind of shockwave in the back.

Last edited:

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Okay, I am wrong.

My welding guru says that if there is not a lot of acetylene that it is worse than if there is a lot. Further he says that the small amount mixed with a large amount of O2 will "explode", without really burning hot or creating smoot.

I retract my BS sir....

E :bash:

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
Yet the concussion was big enough to turn the FJ cruiser into shrapnel??

I've seen this on other forums and call BULLSHIT. There don't seem to be signs of burns on anything, especially something like the headliner that would singe immediately, and acetylene is very sooty unless additional oxygen is added.. There would be black soot all over as well

:bs:

Ever blown up a balloon with an air-acet mixture? There's no soot to it, just a large concussion. The cruiser was basically a balloon, there was oxy in the air which mixed with the acet. The larger the oxy to acet ratio, the bigger the boom.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, it appears to be the real deal and if so, the guy is very, very fortunate that he wasn't hurt much worse. That FJ is torn apart. I just cannot imagine being IN that vehicle at the time it exploded.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
He should have NEVER reached for the window switch, and he is VERY lucky to be alive! He should have opened all the doors to air it out, not use an electric motor in an environment full of acetylene.

motoman991

Banned
The guy sounds like a retard for using something electric powered instead of I don't know, opening the doors. That's probably why he drives a homosexual FJ, well drove ha.

mnewxcv

Established Member
The guy sounds like a retard for using something electric powered instead of I don't know, opening the doors. That's probably why he drives a homosexual FJ, well drove ha.

i agree he shouldnt have opened the windows, but even opening the doors would have triggered the dome light(s) :shrug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread