Don't leave acetylene bottles in your vehicle!

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
Anyone send this to Mythbusters yet?

Nothing to bust. While rolling the windows down wasn't smart (closing the door when you smell acetylene in the car isn't smart), it saved his life because the concussion dissipated out of them versus being contained (even the microsecond it would have taken to blow them out).

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
i agree he shouldnt have opened the windows, but even opening the doors would have triggered the dome light(s) :shrug:

Not trying to be rude, BUT. Do some of you even read? It said he OPENED the doors the decided to DRIVE it out. So clearly the dome lights and other interior lights would have been on at some point. Not to mention starting up the FJ before this happened.

BV600

Established Member
Thats Crazy, this guy is lucky to be living. Although I have seen worse
DSC02199.gif

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Wow thats crazy.

So what set it off? Static electricity when he touched the window switch or what??

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Not trying to be rude, BUT. Do some of you even read? It said he OPENED the doors the decided to DRIVE it out. So clearly the dome lights and other interior lights would have been on at some point. Not to mention starting up the FJ before this happened.

I'm thinking that when he first opened the door (dome lights) and started the car, there wasn't a good enough mix of air and acetylene. At the time he decided to roll down the windows, enough air had been mixed in from the open doors to make it an explosive mixture.

Jesus

Established Member
Its local here and its true that it blew up from the tank leaking. Some people on the local forum know the guy and he still doesnt know how he didnt get hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread